Brian Mclean

johnstone

Is Brian McLean signing a new deal with us?

If he isn't then I would be pretty miffed. He has come through two major injuries with us and is starting to show that he is an excellent centre back.

Out of him, Hughes and Smith - its McLean I would rather keep.

If he is stalling on a new contract then its pretty dissapointing news.

Talks pending johnstone.

Cluck

Another player out of contract is defender Brian McLean, who returned from a cruciate ligament injury in February.

"Him and I will sit down after the last game," McGhee said. "He's getting an opportunity to play centre-half and he has done very well at times and other times he's not done as well.

"I'm looking at him really closely and giving him every opportunity to prove to us that he should be here."

McLean is keen to stay but is also trying to impress other potential suitors, including his former Motherwell managers Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas, who are now in charge at Inverness.

The 24-year-old said: "I felt as if I've played really well in the nine games that I've played.

"I've only played three or four games at centre-half, which is my ideal position.

"Hopefully I continue to do myself justice and contract talks will begin, whether it's here or elsewhere.

"It's not even Terry and Maurice I'm trying to impress, it's everyone who is there watching, including the fans, to prove that I'm back and 110%."

Staying at Motherwell would give McLean a first chance to play in Europe after his injury forced him out of Motherwell's UEFA Cup tie against Nancy this season.

"It was hard for me sitting up the back of the stand with the supporters and getting behind the team," McLean said.

"It will be much better for me on a personal level if we get there again."

McGhee admits he may have to bring his players back into training on June 14 but Mclean is not as concerned as the likes of Clarkson, who faces cutting short his honeymoon.

"I have got holidays planned," McLean said. "But I've got insurance!"

Why is McGhee waiting until after the last game though?

McGhee doesn't seem overly keen on McLean to be honest. Personally, I think he is a cracking defender that gives us much needed presence.

Probably due to the amount of games he has played for us under McGhee. Saying that I would be gutted to see him leave if we don't offer a new contract.

Why is McGhee waiting until after the last game though?

McGhee doesn't seem overly keen on McLean to be honest. Personally, I think he is a cracking defender that gives us much needed presence.

That doesn't really stack up. he's been more or less in the team since he came back from injury. McGhee could have used Klimpl in defence or one of the youngsters if we were short - but he's more or less used the big man since he was 'almost' ready to play.

I remember when he came back from injury the first time that McGhee wasn't entirely convinced. He even said in the press that "he knows what he has to do" etc. etc. So he has obviously been looking for specific areas of improvement. However, more recent comments make me think that McGhee has seen enough to offer him a new deal.

Of course, that's just me reading between the lines.

I like the big man. We aren't going to get a better (if any) 6 foot 2 Centre Half who has a very good head, decent tackle, good distribution and good on the ball and is reasonably pacey too.

In fact, there is no way we could get a player as good as McLean on a Bosman - except Brian McLean if we let him go!!!

I think the main concern here is the injuries Stretch has had since arriving at 'Well. We could offer him a deal and he could be outstanding or he could just as easily pick up another long term injury.

McGhee is the one here that has to take the gamble and if he chooses to re-sign him and he does get injured there'll be folk on here complaining about the waste of a wage. If we don't re-sign him and he helps Inverness to the top 6 next season in the final minute against us there'll be folk that will be on his back for letting him go.

Personal I'd offer him a fairly basic wage, topped up with appearance fee, but he's a young lad and may not see that as being a viable option.

Is Brian McLean signing a new deal with us?

If he isn't then I would be pretty miffed. He has come through two major injuries with us and is starting to show that he is an excellent centre back.

Out of him, Hughes and Smith - its McLean I would rather keep.

If he is stalling on a new contract then its pretty dissapointing news.

For the above in bold my little big sister says f*** off! :thumbup:

I'd be pretty miffed if we don't sign McLean up. Can't see him being in the position to be commanding big wages or what not and I've seen nothing really to suggest he can't do a job, he certainly puts in a shift. I don't honestly see who we could, in our financial position, sign that would be better than him.

I think we should be able to almost disregard his injuries for the most part. If you're breaking down in training or in matches, or if you have a recurring problem then yeah...fair enough, but If some dirty big c**t comes in and snaps your leg in half...that's not being injury prone.

In fact on the contrary, the speed of which he has always seemed to rehabilitate would suggest that he is anything but.

I think if we were a bigger club with more money resources then McLean would be a stick on for a new contract. However MFC can't really afford took too far beyond 25 appearnces in 3 years - we simply can't afford that especially in the current market. Personally, I hope he does get that contract but - IF he doesn't - then I can totally understand McGhee's/MFC's reasoning behind it. It's unfortunate but it's a harsh business and it is only getting harsher these days.

Given St Johnstone are now able to sign players out of our price range, I can't for the life of me understand why big Stretch hasn't been offered a new deal.

For two years we've needed a centre half and no one seems to have come close to McGhee's strict requirements. We surely can't afford to then just let a perfectly good centre back leave on a free, injuries or not!?

When I read in the papers a few weeks back about McLean being desperate to stay at Motherwell and hoping to impress enough to get a new deal, I just assumed it was a matter of time before he was signed up. I can't quite believe we've still not bothered offering him a new contract yet.

I think it would be madness not to sign McLean. November/December time tells me it would be madness to through away a player of McLean's ability. As well as being a good defender, he is also composed, and the most likely of all our defence to nick a goal! I'd put him infront of Reynolds on current form.