Mark McGhee

jazz

Guest JohnnyDefault

One positive from last night is that Accies will be down £88 on Sat.

Decided last night on the way out of the ground that 4 of us won't be making the trip on Sat.

One positive from last night is that Accies will be down £88 on Sat.

Decided last night on the way out of the ground that 4 of us won't be making the trip on Sat.

Same here, £22 staying in my pocket.

If McGhee decided he wanted to go today then I'd pack his desk for him. I have no idea what he's trying to do with the team but it feels like he's trying to put a square peg is a triangle hole.

Mark, it hasn't worked since August, try something new or try somewhere else!

I can't believe I'm reading this!

Neil is right, us well fans are arseholes. I'm as worried as the next person about the situation we're in, but shouting for the managers head is just ridiculous. Bear in mind this is his first full season with us where he's had the chance to work without external influences, huge media speculation etc. The Motherwell managers job must be a completely different ball game this year to what it was last year; and he's probably adjusting to that.

Give him time!

I can't believe I'm reading this!

Neil is right, us well fans are arseholes. I'm as worried as the next person about the situation we're in, but shouting for the managers head is just ridiculous. Bear in mind this is his first full season with us where he's had the chance to work without external influences, huge media speculation etc. The Motherwell managers job must be a completely different ball game this year to what it was last year; and he's probably adjusting to that.

Give him time!

No offence but he's had 17 league games to adjust. Now I'm not calling for his head, just pointing out that this is not acceptable but how much time does he need?

I agree with you, the performances are not acceptable, and things need to happen to get this sorted. But I'm fully confident that he will sort it and we'll be back playing decent football before long.

It's the folk calling for his head that I think is a bit ridiculous. I know football is a results based business, but if we were as ruthless as some of the fans want us to be then we'd be having 4 managers a year with absolutely hee haw consistency!

I agree with you, the performances are not acceptable, and things need to happen to get this sorted. But I'm fully confident that he will sort it and we'll be back playing decent football before long.

It's the folk calling for his head that I think is a bit ridiculous. I know football is a results based business, but if we were as ruthless as some of the fans want us to be then we'd be having 4 managers a year with absolutely hee haw consistency!

I agree. Kinda :lol: So how much time then? Tbh it's boring going to the football and expecting a defeat (although I had a sneaky feeling we'd win 6-0 :lol:). Bring back Butcher and the Rollercoaster!

I have a sneaky feeling we're gonna go out and wipe the floor with accies at the weekend. Something to really boost our confidence. Again, might be way off the mark. But if we get just one result where we win by 2 or 3 then our confidence will rocket and we'll be back on the road to a mid-table finish.

I'm not gonna be overly optimistic and say we'll finish 3rd or anything, but top 6 is still a possibility.

Fingers crossed! :lol:

Motherwell fans are arseholes.

I'm sorry, but were the most fickle bunch of people there is, we're never up but we're down, when we win, we were lucky, and Player X is shite and sack the manager cause he's a whore/shite (delete as applicable) and when we lose it the same times ten.

Our place in Scottish football IS to be down the lower end of the table, scrapping, with the odd glimpse of success here or there, it has been so for as long as I can remember.

Too many 'Well fans have ideas above their station about this club and need a reality check, it's not a good thing to read, but it's true, we will NEVER consistently play well, finish well in the league, win cups, what we will do is be shite, be inconsistent, be frustratingly bad and that will always be the case sadly, no matter what manager we have or what players we have, it always has been and always will be.

We need to deal with it that way, and enjoy it for what it is.

Sad to say, believe me, but true.

We need to get real.

Whilst what you say is not entirely untrue, how can you justify the crap that has been served up so soon after the success of last season? Should we just accept heartless rubbish, seeming complete lack of planning, tactical inepitude and go merrily on our way because it is our lot in life. We'll never be giants and like most scottish clubs success will always likely be fleeting but....

...I tell you now, from the most blindly optimistic to the most blindly pessimistic Well fan not one would have thought that we'd walk it to 3rd place easy or split the old firm this year, but likewise neither would have thought we'd slip so quickly back into relegation fodder.

In terms of silverware if we pick up anything again in my lifetime I'll be quite happy, I'm quite realistic as to what we can hope or expect to achieve. But McGhee seemed to have a magic want with his success last year and whilst keeping that level going might be hard hard going I don't think we should accpet a team that can barely string two passes together and canny beat a Killie struggling with both form and injuries themselves at home.

So this isn't just moaning Well fans, this is diabolical pish and it needs addressed quickly.

My first new post on the new boards woo hoo!

So thats the excitement over.

The problem as I see it, is McGhee not the players. The problem that he has is a style of tactic and a liking for players that for whatever reason dont bring anything to the team.

Now I am astonished that supportes come back from last night criticising the likes of Hammell and Hughes. Let's not kid ourselves these guys are good quality SPL players. One of my biggest gripes is playing every 90 mins with only 9 players. I have been watching Bob Malcolm and Steve McGarry play each week now being rank rotten and continuing to play. You might ask why they are singled out and people like Hammell are forgiven. The fact is Hammell can have his off days but can still give something to the team. I am not even sure what position these guys are meant to be playing. The idea of Malcolm is great,a big bruiser to protect the defence. But the fact is he gives no protection and we are giving away more goals than ever. He cant win a ball, hes too slow, he cant tackle. He is absolutely woeful. So thats us down to ten. McGarry, again whats he meant to be, cant score, cant cross, cant pass. So thats us down to 9. The reason Hughes and others look crap is because we are 2 men down before a kick of the ball. But I dont blame Malcolm and McGarry because it is McGhee who stays loyal to these players. Now you may not like Fitzpatrick, D Smith, J O Brien but they are wholehearted. The SPL doesnt need quality all round. It needs a couple of quality players mixed with wholehearted individuals.

Now to tactics. Lats nights team selection was a disgrace. We have no imagination.

The midfield I would ideally play last night would be

MURPHY - LASLEY - HUGHES - JOBRIEN

If you are playing Porter and Sutton you have to get balls in the box. Simple as. The objective with Lasley and Hughes, or perhaps Fitzpatrick would be to protect the defence and get the ball out wide. It aint glamour, its just whats needed. Now to me this is the most obvious thing in the world. For our best chance Porter had to go out wide and collect the ball. McGhee doesnt have any ideas other than playing a formation which we cant score, nor defend properly.

I hope he realises the 2 points above. And quick.

Motherwell fans are arseholes.

I'm sorry, but were the most fickle bunch of people there is, we're never up but we're down, when we win, we were lucky, and Player X is shite and sack the manager cause he's a whore/shite (delete as applicable) and when we lose it the same times ten.

Our place in Scottish football IS to be down the lower end of the table, scrapping, with the odd glimpse of success here or there, it has been so for as long as I can remember.

Too many 'Well fans have ideas above their station about this club and need a reality check, it's not a good thing to read, but it's true, we will NEVER consistently play well, finish well in the league, win cups, what we will do is be shite, be inconsistent, be frustratingly bad and that will always be the case sadly, no matter what manager we have or what players we have, it always has been and always will be.

We need to deal with it that way, and enjoy it for what it is.

Sad to say, believe me, but true.

We need to get real.

Nonsense, why on earth should our place be at the lower end of the table? Of course we can't compete with the Old Firm but why does that relegate us to the bottom six of the table all the time? The reason I don't like the punching above our weight comments every time we lose a game is because we just use that as an excuse every time we are shite. We are rotten, och well, we are meant to be, we are just wee Motherwell. We get relegated, ah well, that's just Motherwell's lot. Absolute nonsense. On our day we can beat anyone and we can play decent football when we feel like it. Yes, our fans can be hyper critical but let's not confuse this with the fact that we are watching professional footballers play a game they are paid well enough to do. A manager who managed to successfully double his salary last year. Tell the St Mirren's, the Hamiltons, the ICT's, the Falkirks of this world that they are there to make up the numbers. It's not us, the supporters who need to get real, it's Boyle, Leitch, McGhee and those players who currently think all they need to do is turn up and all will be ok.

I don't expect Motherwell to win the league, I don't expect Motherwell to win every cup going. I don't expect Motherwell to finish top six every season. What I do expect is a bit more effort and fight than the current shite we as fans are watching. From the top down at the moment, this club is a shambles, but why does it need to be this way? Because we are Motherwell and that's what we are used to?

So who would you play up front? Our strikers had enough clear cut, even must score chances to hammer Killie last night.

Hughes should be no where near the First Team on current form.

Having watched the game back again I noticed a few things....

Our short passing is good to a point, we have now width in the team we try to play everything either long ball back to front or tight into feet. Thinking back to last season when we played a front 3 we always had width and players inter-changing. Look at Porter's shot last night where he cut in from the right and shot left foot that forced a good save from Combe.. My point is with Sutton and Porter up front Ports cannot move about as much as Sutton is not comfortable wide he cannot cross. I think Sutton's confidence has gone, he did well when he came in as he got goals but without them he struggles. Not sure I have the solution but if Clarkson is not fit for Sat I would play a front 3 with Porter, Murphy and either DL Smith or McHugh. That way we get back to a 3 that can all inter-change and send in a decent ball if out wide.

As for Hughes, while I agree that he was nowhere near a MOTM I still think he has the ability to link the play through midfield better than anyone else we have, if he wasn't there we would be even more back to front!

from fishel site lads...

Mcghee interview clicky

We will get better | Print | E-mail Tuesday, 16 December 2008

Frustration for ‘Well gaffer as Steelmen crash.

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee was left cursing missed chances as the Steelmen dropped to eleventh in the SPL.

First half efforts from Chris Porter and John Sutton were squandered before Manuel Pascali broke the deadlock on thirty-five minutes.

And the ‘Well gaffer couldn’t hide his frustration at not being able to capitalise on their early pressure.

“We didn’t make a bad start,” he said.

“For me, in the early part of the game up until they scored, I felt we were the dominant team. It was all down to the first goal.”

McGhee insists the team need to start picking up points, and that has to start on Saturday versus Accies.

The Steelmen are going into a basement battle with local rivals Hamilton Accies in a game that could kick start the teams’ season.

However, the ‘Well boss underlined the importance of getting off to a good start.

“I think that when you have a lead, you can defend that. They [Kilmarnock] had every right to do that against us. When they got their goal they rolled up their sleeves and they dug in, and that is something we need to start to do.”

‘Well haven’t taken a lead, or indeed kept hold of one, since their 2-0 victory over Hamilton on the 1st of November.

Now with only three points separating bottom of the table Accies with their Lanarkshire rivals, the Steelmen go into the game at New Douglas Park on Saturday hopeful of similar result.

However, the gaffer stressed that the tension isn’t getting too much for him.

“I don’t feel any pressure,” he said.

“If it is expected of us that we are going to be in the top three every season then clearly we have to do something about it soon. But I see it that we are out to do the best we can and see where it takes us. Just now the best we can do is that performance, but we will need to get better.”

One of the few positives of the match was that of the performance of young full back Steven Saunders.

The 17-year-old made his first team debut filling in for the suspended Paul Quinn, and the manager was quick to praise the latest promising youth player to coming through the ranks at Fir Park.

He said, “I was delighted with him.

“He was brave when he needed to be, sticking his head in where it hurts and putting in challenges. Going forward I thought he put in a couple of great crosses that our strikers really should have been getting on the end of.”

McGhee also hinted that the return of ‘Well captain Stephen Craigan may not be too far away. The Northern Irish international has only recently returned to training since his last game on the 5th of October in a 3-2 win over Falkirk.

“Stephen may only be a week or so away from returning. On Saturday we will also have Paul Quinn back, and David Clarkson might be ready to return.

“We will get better.”

Nonsense, why on earth should our place be at the lower end of the table? Of course we can't compete with the Old Firm but why does that relegate us to the bottom six of the table all the time? The reason I don't like the punching above our weight comments every time we lose a game is because we just use that as an excuse every time we are shite. We are rotten, och well, we are meant to be, we are just wee Motherwell. We get relegated, ah well, that's just Motherwell's lot. Absolute nonsense. On our day we can beat anyone and we can play decent football when we feel like it. Yes, our fans can be hyper critical but let's not confuse this with the fact that we are watching professional footballers play a game they are paid well enough to do. A manager who managed to successfully double his salary last year. Tell the St Mirren's, the Hamiltons, the ICT's, the Falkirks of this world that they are there to make up the numbers. It's not us, the supporters who need to get real, it's Boyle, Leitch, McGhee and those players who currently think all they need to do is turn up and all will be ok.

I don't expect Motherwell to win the league, I don't expect Motherwell to win every cup going. I don't expect Motherwell to finish top six every season. What I do expect is a bit more effort and fight than the current shite we as fans are watching. From the top down at the moment, this club is a shambles, but why does it need to be this way? Because we are Motherwell and that's what we are used to?

spot on post wellgirl i couldny have put it better myself

Pretty much agree with Gaag earlier - we win a few games and we're perceived (by ourselves) as world beaters, but go through a tough spell, and everyone from the chairman to the backroom staff have to go.

I enjoyed last year immensely, and this season, at this stage, the other extreme applies - I don't enjoy seeing my team struggle, and as much as I don't agree with some of MMG's decisions (last night's subbbies for starters) no way do I want him punted. what does that achieve ? New manager brought in, who may struggle and the calls are for him to be heaved in the summer !!

We have (I believe) a good manager who has to roll up his sleeves and get confidence and belief back in the team, statring today for Saturday - a win at Accies is as good a place to start as any.

I left FP last night (5 mins early which is unusual for me) but i still believe we can turn things around - got a feeling Saturday's attendance will be hugely affected by our form, and the fact it's on the telly, but starting to get notions of going - time'll tell :blink:

MON RA DOSSERS

Guest PERCULA

Not so much the defeat they happen but the lack luster performance and lack of fight which got me angry and like it or not that's the managers job to motivate and hes simply not doing it

Yep, I'll be watching the Hamilton game on TV wi a carry-out. Far more entertaining things I can do with my £22.. A tin of paint can only cost a couple of quid :blink:

Had half-humoured the idea of trekking down for that game and the visit to New Douglas, but ermmm, naw.

I'll be there on Saturday, they may (currently) be shite, but they are my team and I'll always support them no matter what.

Better days ahead I'm sure and boy am I looking forward to them.

McGee is a good manager imo, but he really need to start proving it. No good signing in January continued lack lustre performances and I'll seriously be doubting him and be beginning to write him off as a one season wonder - something that I thought, and hoped, that I would never be doing.

I understand folk may have better things to do with their money but if theres a time we need a support its Saturday.We call ourselves fans and this could potentially be make or break for our season.I have no problem with those who cannot afford to go due to genuine reasons or have important commitments, but i dae have a problem with people saying "am not going we're shite"First derby at NDP competitively in 20 odd year (i think) and we're not going because "we're shite".Pathetic if I'm honest and these are the same people who came running to get tickets for Nancy.Anything under 2 thousand on saturday is a disgrace.The reality is a support can make a difference to the players mentality going into a match and this could effectively make a big difference to our season.Relegation is a possibility with defeat on Saturday.

I don't think you can really blame McGhee for fans staying away. That's gt more to do with Boyle and his hair brained get rich quick schemes.

I agree but the longer this poor run of form continues, people who might pay cash at the gate both home and away will stay away and as someone else said, it's at the time when the club needs fans the most. I don't blame people for having had enough of Boyle especially if fans feel kicked in the teeth over the pricing initiatives. I was looking for the link on the official site earlier for the pricing offers and I couldn't find it. I think most fans already know that the lack of communication and information from club to fans can be shocking. I don't know what it is going to take for the club to turn things round from the top down.

Guest PERCULA

Its hard for the fans to be passionate when the team are passion and gutless. As i said its not the defeat that bothers me but the manner in which we lay down to be executed.