Gannon Moves For Jennings

Motherwell Seagull

Apologies f posted deep in one of the other threads...

Clicky

Tranmere midfielder Steven Jennings is set to be Jim Gannonspacer.gif's first signing as Motherwell boss, skysports.com understands.

Gannon, who was unveiled as Motherwell's new manager on Tuesday, has moved quickly to try and strengthen his squad by lining up a deal for Jennings.

Jennings is available on a free transfer after seeing out his contract at Prenton Park.

The 24-year-old, who joined the club after being released by Everton, has impressed during the last few seasons and his performances have not gone unnoticed.

Tranmere were hoping to keep Jennings, but it appears Gannon has managed to persuade him to make the move to the SPL.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds decent, small player but known as a central midfielder with an eye for goal (scored 8 from mid last season) and has played right back +right mid so fits Gannons ideas of flexible players.

Certainly looks to be moving quickly, happy days

We need players in for sure and Jennings could turn out to be a good signing but I have concerns that we are losing young local players that came through the ranks and we are going to end up with a team of 7 or 8 lower division players from England who will be here for a year or two.

I wouldn't want to go back to the Davies era.

Anyway, hopefully Jennings does well for us if he signs on the dotted line.

We need players in for sure and Jennings could turn out to be a good signing but I have concerns that we are losing young local players that came through the ranks and we are going to end up with a team of 7 or 8 lower division players from England who will be here for a year or two.

Time will tell. Gannon has a good reputation for bringing through youngsters as well, but right now we need a few players who can slot in right away.

we need 6-8 new players to make it a competetive squad, if Gannon is looking at 5-6, It sounds like Darren Smith + Ross Forbes will be playing a bigger part and the youth will play a bigger part as well, esp with Gnnons reputation for building young teams so I dont think we have anything to worry about with regards losing young local players

Wikipedia

Steve Jennings (born 28 October 1984 in Liverpool) is an English professional footballer who currently plays as a central midielder for Tranmere Rovers.

He joined Tranmere's Centre of Excellence in 1998 and progressed through the youth ranks. He was a key part of the Rovers youth team that reached the FA Youth Cup Semi Finals in 2002-03.

He made his first team debut on 18 October 2003 against Oldham Athletic. Later that year he suffered a knee ligament injury when he was hit by a car outside his home. He has since played over 60 first team matches and is now the club's longest serving current player.

In the 2006/2007 season, Stephen had little starting opportunities with several other central midfielders vying for a place in the team, on 18 January 2007 he was loaned to Hereford United and duly impressed at Edgar Street, which led to his loan being extended to the end of the season.

Jennings re-established his place at Tranmere during the 2007/08 season, appearing in all but five league matches, usually partnering Paul McLaren in the centre of midfield. He had an excellent season with many fans praising his high work rate and willingness to make challenges. He won the Players' Young Player of the Season award at the end of the 2007 - 2008 season.

It's all very well saying that we'll get 5 or 6 players in but delivering this may prove to be a bit harder. McGhee was lucky to bring in 5 or 6 players over two years! (probably due to the fact that he only wanted players better than what we had and being stubborn about it).

Personally I feel it needs to be AT LEAST six new players, rather than a maximum of. With nine players leaving including the loanees only bringing in six would leave us short.

The thing about McGhees "Only signing better players than we already have" nonsense is that half the players in League 1 and 2 (the ones we are now being linked with) are better than some of the pish we had.

It's all very well saying that we'll get 5 or 6 players in but delivering this may prove to be a bit harder. McGhee was lucky to bring in 5 or 6 players over two years! (probably due to the fact that he only wanted players better than what we had and being stubborn about it).

Who??

Difference between McGhee and Gannon is that the later seems to know exactly who he wants to bring in. McGhee didn't really have any particular players in mind when he arrived. Also in the later stages of his time at Motherwell he seemed to rely a lot on Gordon Strachcan to provide him with advice and players. Can't see the same happening with Gannon.

Also with Stockport pretty much up for sale then he can get quite a few decent players from them.

Gannon WILL bring 5 or 6 new faces at least.

MMG's (who was he again???) failing as a boss was the ability to recognise suitable players for our club within our wage structure.

That is why he struggled so much to add to our squad in both his seasons and the "only wanting players better than we had" was simply an excuse he used to cover this up as can be seen by our signings last summer who hardly started many games before xmas

I wouldn't be too worried. In fact, in one of his interviews yesterday, Gannon said he was surprised how good some of our youngsters were, and that they hadn't been more involved with the senior squad already.

I can't imagine he would have taken this job if he didn't have confidence in our youth set-up as he knows this is where a lot of the work will need to be done. For now, though, we also need to bring in a number of players to bolster the squad.

Archdeacon didnt really shine but didnt actually get a start and got injured after a few weeks so was a little unfortunate, and Forbes did really well at Dumbarton, scored a couple of goals, set up a few and had 2 or 3 really impressive games, The guy really seems to have a wand of a left foot, hits some superb crosses, corners + free kicks

It may have done Forbes a lot of good to get regular competitive football,the boy is certainly gifted. Like you say his striking from dead balls can be superb. he did only score once at Dumbarton and is nearly 20 but has never started or made an appearance in the SPL( I may be wrong regards sub appearances). Not having a go at the guy but more a point that in Scotland you are still viewed as a young/youth team player until you are 22/23.

Perfect Example = Krisztian Vadocz...........McGhee missed a gem with letting him go when he wanted to sign on with 'Well!

There is no chance he was worse than what we already had with a 7.5 minimum fee release clause at Osasuna!

That just goes to show what a useless prick McGhee really was, Abersheep are welcome to him. He will get 2 seasons tops before he is found out for the walloper he really is.

That just goes to show what a useless prick McGhee really was, Abersheep are welcome to him. He will get 2 seasons tops before he is found out for the walloper he really is.

This post is up there with some of the worst I have seen!

So McGhee was a useless prick? This not the same McGhee that got us third in the league and into Europe twice?

If not then I have no idea what useless prick you are talking about.

Back onto topic. I am glad Gannon is going for players in English league and not the typical journeyman in the SPL. It will give us an edge I think.