Motherwell V Rangers

garymurdoch

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the time when a big, big game has come up and we pack out the stadium the team has failed to deliver, and those floating fans whov'e come along aren't entertainted and drift away again. Get that right next time out and we can get these folk hooked on coming to Fir park.

Anyone have an update on Yassin, seemed to take a bit of a hit near the end and was sat on the turf at the end nursing a knee injury I think?

Think he was just shattered Ricky, had been struggling for a few minutes before that.

OH and when we reduce prices to a reasonable level, ban live TV and keep games at 3pm of a Seterday then we might see a difference in our home crowd. Until then what we have is what we got.

In truth the attendance today was approx 9400 whereas last year at home V Gers it was 9600. So I guess taking into account the timing of the game, the Sky coverage and above all the cost and the state of the Economy it does not look so bad.

That said handing over the Cooper back to the home support shows up how poor our support is, especially for old firm games! I guess most of the Cooper went into the East stand last year and that artificially made it look like a good support.

I sit in the POD stand and many is the time we get up the stairs and look over to the East stand and the Cooper and wonder where our support is? Yet the flip side are days like Nancy (home and away), Llanelli and St Johnstone and you think we have a great support - don't figure ;)

Not much has changed over the years if the truth be told, but we are capable of filling the East and Cooper for Cup games and important league games. I just wish, as do many on here we could get that support every home game. Especially when you have a team playing attractive football and trying their hardest.

On your point of poor support for auld firm games, I know a number of season ticket holders who refuse to go to auld firm games because they can't be bothered with the hassle they get from the away fans at times and they won't subject their kids to it. So there are reasons behind this. Cooper and East Stands did have a lot of gaps in it today. I'd say it was far busier at the Kilmarnock game.

On your point of poor support for auld firm games, I know a number of season ticket holders who refuse to go to auld firm games because they can't be bothered with the hassle they get from the away fans at times and they won't subject their kids to it. So there are reasons behind this. Cooper and East Stands did have a lot of gaps in it today. I'd say it was far busier at the Kilmarnock game.

I have to say that I used to love the OF games, but more and more now it's becoming a bigotfest and I just cant be arsed with it. I haven't been to a match against Celtic since the 4-4, when the abuse I got on leaving the ground was horrendous. I had to throw out a perfectly good suede jacket because of the amount of phlegm on it from Celtic fans. It's been even longer since I went to see Rangers at Fir Park.

I thought we earned our point today and deserved it. We simply didn't do enough to win the game and although we played some really nice stuff on the deck there was no killer insinct up front. No shots on target from open play tells its own story.

The midfield played played very well apart from a 20 minute patch in the 2nd half when they retreated into a shell. For the most part our defence well and recorded a 2nd shut out in two games. Saunders and Reynolds contained Rangers' aerial threat very well and played very intelligently. They knew from the off that they'd never compete with Boyd in the air and didn't try to. Instead they worked hard to disrupt him and focused on the second ball. John Sutton worked his socks off but to little effect.

A bit disappointing that we didn't test Davie Weir more - he looked slower and more cumbersome than ever. Watching Whittaker, Weir, Miller and Naismith you have to ask how any of them got anywhere near the Scottish team.

A good point today and a decent overall performance with nice football, but JG will know our weaknesses today including a toothless attack and vulnerability down our left side. Still we played some decent footie and outshone Rangers' power play.

Heres some of the likely lads favourite quotes from follow follow tonite :D

On referee dougie macdonald: :lol:

Cheat - nothing surer

was laughing his head off at full time there with the Motherwell player

Saw his chance to even up the McGeady sending off and took it.

Hopefully Smith will lay the boot in during the interview. It's his duty to do so.

i had my heart in my mouth as he, already falling, fell into Boogie, making contact and leaving the ref no other decision but to punish those "h*n B.astards"

This arsehole has previous, we all know that, but sweet jebus, this was taking it to a new level.

So early in the season aswell, the cards are on the table

On motherwell fans: :lol:

They don't even know if they want to support their country or not

Their team played very well, but their small-time mutants are a disgrace.

I look forward to the coverage in the rags tomorrow. Ho, ho and thrice ho.

Booing Scotland players. h*n this, h*n that, etc.

No doubt the likes of Waddell at the Mail and the vermin at News International will be outraged

I was in the East Stand today (undercover of course) and can confirm that there were also a few monkey chants aimed at Bougherra early on.

Still a nice cuddly family club, Motherwell, mind you

it looks like motherwell have a problem with there away fans (sound familiar)because a fortnight ago mark mcghee was all the f*****s this and that and now at home thet are calling us the H word obviously the sfa/papers etc will be down on them like a tonne of bricks

poor wee souls :D

Played some decent stuff today but wasn't overly impressed with our tactics.

Its hard to grumble when you take a point off Rangers but it lookedto me as if we were playing for a point from half time onwards. Conversely mind you, we did have some cracking chances on the counter attack.

We have some gifted players in midfield but going forward, I fear we might struggle to score goals unless Gannon starts playing Murphy alongside Sutton.

Overall I'm gutted that we never took advantage of the penalty that never was but I'm encouraged by how our youngsters stood up to the test today.

I kind of agree with you on this one. Felt it looked like we were going for the draw at times.

Re Sutton upfront himself its a catch 22 really. If we went 4-4-2 then we wouldn't have controlled the game the way we did

I haven't been to a match against Celtic since the 4-4, when the abuse I got on leaving the ground was horrendous. I had to throw out a perfectly good suede jacket because of the amount of phlegm on it from Celtic fans. It's been even longer since I went to see Rangers at Fir Park.

Know exactly how you feel. I took a load of abuse from the Sellic fans after the 7-1 defeat at FP. 

I think I can deal with ungracious losers. Though ungracious winners at 7-1; no. :lol: Those wnkers walking down Knowetop Avenue that night were very bitter, bitter mammals. (Can't describe them as human; sorry).

Larsson was amazing that night and I guess he was consistently the best player I saw over a few years. When I later audited a factory in Landskrona, I met a girl (woman then) who was in his class at school.  I kept my dignity in stating that Larsson was one of the best footballers I had regularly seen, though deliberately didn't mention that a certain percentage of Celtic fans are vermin. 

Apologies for straying a bit off-topic here.

I can certainly sympathise with fans who avoid Old Filth matches at FP. 

Just my 5 rappen.

SD

Controlled the game and looked comfortable. Then nearly snatched it, how can you say tactics were wrong ffs, playing Rangers and getting a point is more than many other teams will get, please remember we are a new team and still not at full peltyet so woa betide when we are.

Quick question. Was I hearing things or were we singing a version of Fields of Athenry?

Was it Father's Advice, loyalist paramilitary ditty ? I believe they sing it to the same tune as Athenry.

Edit - Probably worth pointing that out to the clowns complaining in the Rangers support who, as pointed out by Likely Lad, are crying because some 'Well fans used the dreaded 'H' word in their direction. Much worse than songs about terror groups, of course. :lol: . Which club's supporters have been hit by UEFA a couple of times due to fan singing ?

Excellent performance all round and worthy of the 3 points, and on any other day we'd have got them. Some lovely passing moves and at times we had them chasing shadows, but my only concern is a slight lack of a cutting edge. Everything else is in place.

In midfield we have a tremendous composure and wilingness to get on the ball, although there were a couple of casual moments when we almost conceded possession ear our own goal.

Defensively excellent for the most part, although pre-match I was worried about how we'd cope with Boyd physically, but even without Crags and Hutch we did very well.

Impressive stuff all round yet happily still room for improvement when players return, which is a great sign.

Everytime we play Celtic or Rangers and stop them winning, it makes me glad I'm not associated with either. Their bitter fans are nothing better than a bunch of morons who think they have a given right to win every single game. Yesterday I was very impressed with the way we played from start to finish. Wasn't too happy with Craigan being left on the bench, but the gamble paid off, as has every gamble I can think of Gannon taking so far.

Another plus point I thought was that usually if we were to take points off the Old Firm, it would be completely due to stopping them scoring, and having ten men behind the ball, but yesterday we were passing the ball well, and at times they couldn't nestle us off it. Thought there was a number of good performances today, as usual wasn't overly impressed with Sutton, that has to go down as a real sitter in the first half. Hammell however produced a performance that if kept up will soon answer his critics. All credit to Jennings, thought he had a fine second half, which he should have had the opportunity to score the winner. Hopefully he'll be able to answer the critics that wrote him off after 2 starts and 2 brief sub appearances!

It was late in the second half and it was my wife that pointed it out to me.

I couldn't make out the words but the tune was markedly similar to Athenry.

It goes something like "Remember our Fathers brave and bold, who fought for Ulster's cause" yada yada yada. I find it very, very boring still hearing them sing this gash (whatever your political viewpoint) and find it sad and embarrassing they still feel they need to bring it to the football. There was not a peep from their fans in the 2nd half until the Pen was given.

Back to the game. Though we were brilliant at times. Good ball retention and our technique looks far better. Starting from the back and getting it down and playing rather than punting it and surrendering possession.

Coke looked good again (if he had pace he would be amazing).

O'Brien was ripping Whittaker (and Davis when they doubled up). Hately's passing was bang on at times as well.

Very Encouraging.