Motherwell V Celtic 22 May 2005 Lol

decorator

McDonald got all the headlines that day, but Gordon Marshall was by far the man of the match! His save's from Bellamy and Hartson were superb

Jim Paterson had his debut at left back IIRC, remember shiting myself him being up against Bellamy.

What a game he had, fuckin magic!

Gordon Marshall was a superb keeper for Motherwell, he was just unlucky that possibly his only two horror performances for Motherwell, came one after another in high profile games.

Marshall was the best keeper Motherwell have had in the last decade. He was reliable, wasn't injury prone and was a very good all round goalkeeper who commanded the defence very well indeed. It's no coincidence that Stephen Craigan had probably his best two seasons during the two years that Marshall was playing behind him. Yes he made mistakes from time to time, but his good performances more than outweighed those and it was just so unfortunate for him that his real 'off day' for us came in the CIS Cup Final. He was absolutely gutted at the end of that game and didn't even go up to get his runners up medal so it obviously hurt him very badly. But he played a massive part in getting us to that final, with his penalty save at Morton in the 2nd Round to his 'team talk' to rally the players before extra time at Easter Road in the Semis.

Age probably got the better of him in the end but he was certainly a far better keeper for Motherwell than Andy Goram, who was either injured, in the headlines for the wrong reasons or looking more overweight and unfit by the week.

Goram flattered to deceive for us in my opinion, he had some great games, but a player of his calibre earning what he was earning should have been winning matches for us, will never forget the time Woods got started in front of him against Killie and he played the worst quick free kick ever, hit off Leitch's ankle and put Killie through on goal.

• 3 years later...

He he, remember sitting in an Oirish pub in Sheffield watching the game with 2 mates who are Blades fans. Surrounded by smellic fans all partying cos they thought they had it in the bag. Then all their wee smiling faces took n a shell shocked appearance...My mates were jumping about more than me at the end watching the mhanky mob crying into their Guinness.... Absolutely priceless...

Goram flattered to deceive for us in my opinion, he had some great games, but a player of his calibre earning what he was earning should have been winning matches for us, will never forget the time Woods got started in front of him against Killie and he played the worst quick free kick ever, hit off Leitch's ankle and put Killie through on goal.

There was times Andy Goram came out looking as if he'd just got back from some all night bender.

Gordon Marshall was a very good goalkeeper until he wasn't. People say you don't become a bad player overnight but I disagree with that. I think some veteran players do. They reach a point and then it just goes and there is no way back. Marshall was with us 6 month too long but he was certain a step up from the other goalkeepers of that era - Woods, Kaven, Dubourdeau and even Andy Goram. If you exclude his end spell he was the best keeper we had between Scott Howie and John Ruddy.

Or the Johnny Doyle version ............. It's my Attic and I'll Fry if I Want to whistling.gif

Sorry big man but that's not clever at all, I was related to the man.

Pedants corner: am I right in thinking no visiting team has ever clinched a league title at Fir Park?

(Come to think of it, does anyone remember us being the fall guys on away from home on title day?)

I think Rangers RIP may have clinched their 77/78 title against us at Ibrox.

I am a big supporter of our signature claret hoop, however I would love to see a reworking of our amber and claret sash home top, if only for one season. If nothing else it would inject a bit of 1970s hoopless (hopefully not hopeless) style to our home kit. Any ‘sash’ fans out there? ph34r.gifwhistling.gif

5pr9yq.jpg

• Like 1

I am a big supporter of our signature claret hoop, however I would love to see a reworking of our amber and claret sash home top, if only for one season. If nothing else it would inject a bit of 1970s hoopless (hopefully not hopeless) style to our home kit. Any 'sash' fans out there? ph34r.gifwhistling.gif

5pr9yq.jpg

Aye, my Dad wore that, and he knew Joe Wark tae!:thumbup:

I am a big supporter of our signature claret hoop, however I would love to see a reworking of our amber and claret sash home top, if only for one season. If nothing else it would inject a bit of 1970s hoopless (hopefully not hopeless) style to our home kit. Any ‘sash’ fans out there? ph34r.gifwhistling.gif

5pr9yq.jpg

Classic kit. Would love to see us wear this next season.

I am a big supporter of our signature claret hoop, however I would love to see a reworking of our amber and claret sash home top, if only for one season. If nothing else it would inject a bit of 1970s hoopless (hopefully not hopeless) style to our home kit. Any 'sash' fans out there? ph34r.gifwhistling.gif

5pr9yq.jpg

I recall that it was said Celtic never beat us when we wore the "sash" top Not sure if that is true or not.

I think Rangers RIP may have clinched their 77/78 title against us at Ibrox.

Celtic clinched the first of their 9 in a row at fir park whenever that was. i was at at the game. The ball bounced in off Bobby lennox's knee in the 91st minute and that was in the day when they supposedly only ever played 90 mins. Huge crowd that day bunch of folks up on the east stand roof.