Legends Who Have Played At The Ark'

garymurdoch

I was at the Stoke game and Banks was magnificent that night, I still remember one save he made in the top right hand corner, he just seemed to fly through the air.

Another legendary keeper was Pat Jennings who played against us for Spurs in the Texaco cup alongside Mullery, Peters and Chivers.

Jennings holds the record for playing most times against Scotland - 19

Peters also scored in a World Cup Final

I suppose it has to be asked - Players who have played at Fir Park who have had top 20 hits ?

I was at the Stoke game as well and it was pretty awesome seeing Gordon Banks. Actually, you might be able to help me on a question. Talking about great players, my brother said we played a Spanish team in an inauguration of the floodlights and he mentioned a player (name escapes me) who was playing that night for the Spanish team that was a legend. Do you (or anyone else) know anything about this game and/or who the player was? I'll try and find out from him (but he's a Celtic fan so won't be talking to me the noo lol).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Stoke game as well and it was pretty awesome seeing Gordon Banks. Actually, you might be able to help me on a question. Talking about great players, my brother said we played a Spanish team in an inauguration of the floodlights and he mentioned a player (name escapes me) who was playing that night for the Spanish team that was a legend. Do you (or anyone else) know anything about this game and/or who the player was? I'll try and find out from him (but he's a Celtic fan so won't be talking to me the noo lol).

My own personal experiences only go back to 1962 but here`s a start on the hunt, I`ll take a look at John Swinburne`s book ( History of The Steelmen 1886 - 1986 ) and see what I can come up with

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/index.php?op...&Itemid=174

My own personal experiences only go back to 1962 but here`s a start on the hunt, I`ll take a look at John Swinburne`s book ( History of The Steelmen 1886 - 1986 ) and see what I can come up with

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/index.php?op...&Itemid=174

Appreciate you taking the time on that. Has been an unanswered question for decades and my brother has a memory like an elephant!

Thank you arbroath55.

:doh: From your link it might have been "The late 1950’s and early 1960’s remains a hugely memorable period for those who witnessed it with many big names and famous teams gracing Fir Park over a series of floodlit friendlies, arguably the most famous being a resounding 9-2 thrashing of Brazilians Flamenco in 1960, with Ian St John scoring five." Although not "Spanish" maybe that was lost in translation about the game.

Sounds like the friendly against Atheltic Bilbao. I'll look out the programme I have. The game was in 1960 I think so just too late for Telmo Zarra to have fetaured.

Sounds like the friendly against Atheltic Bilbao. I'll look out the programme I have. The gane was in 1960 I think so just too late for Telmo Zarra to have fetaured.

Cheers. Very interesting. The "legendary" player had I believe one name (kind of like what they do in Brazil). I reckon it was late 1950's early 1960's.

Did rangers not have some brazillian boy a few years back , cant remember his name but i think he was quite well known.

Van der sar played at the ark in the fulham friendly a few years ago.

And Bob McHugh has also played at the ark, cant think of a bigger legend.

Before my time, but guys like Eddie Turnbull, Jim Baxter and Jinky Johnstone of course all played at FP.

Not quite in the legendary status, but when I moved down to England in 1988, I used to be able to tell my mates how I watched guys like Steve Nichol play with Ayr Utd, Alan Hansen with Partick, Andy Gray with Dundee Utd, Stevie Clarke with St. Midden, Nevin with Clyde etc. before they made their big moves south.

Can you imagine someone from Ayr Utd getting transferred to Liverpool these days?