Favourite 'well Player Ever

ONeils40yarder

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone said the easy questions first this year eh! What a difficult decision to make :lol:

My 1st favourite player would have to be Joe Wark "Mr Motherwell" although he didn't know my father, who has never understood football, he knew my uncle so that was good enough for me. Next up was Peter Marinello :lol: absolute genius with the ball at his feet in the days when Davie Coopers were 10 a penny. Willie Pettigrew quickly replaced him with the afore mentioned belter against Smellic in the 76 cup run :wallbash: , broke my heart when he left for the Arabs. Next up for Ernie worship :lol: and I am surprised he has not been mentioned yet was Alfie Conn, okay so he had a short fuse but he did cause the opposition a few problems too. His combination with Brian McGlaughlin and Willie Irvine made us one of the most exciting teams in Scotland in the early 80's. Of the cup final team probably Kirkie stood out but having watched the cup run again recently it would be difficult to single anybody out, Ally Maxwell's performance in the final was above and beyond the call of duty, possibly the best keeper we ever had. I remember being completely stunned when Davie Cooper signed for us and was priviledged to see him play in Claret and Amber many times and he would need to be high up there. After the cup team Coyle and Coyne with big Buff were the standouts although Lambert needs a mention too. In the last 10 years the only real stars have been Faddy and David Clarkson. Faddy had so much skill but his inconsistentency let him down and Clarky is still writing his script. However of all the players that I have seen in over 40 years of watching Motherwell the one player that I have enjoyed watching more than any other was Phil O'Donnell :lol: even when he came to play against us I was still thrilled that he was on the pitch at Fir Park. His energy, skill and especially those lung busting runs have never been seen from a Motherwell player since. I only hope that we produce another soon.

New to the boards and didnt know where to post this ...

Former Motherwell player (2002-2003) is playing in the French 4th division for Saint Genevieve. Last season he scored 14 goals and had 12 assists for another 4th division side. I wrote a brief article on him:

http://boitachemma.blogspot.com/2009/01/le...aled-kemas.html

Feel free to leave some feedback! He didnt have the most successful time at Motherwell because of injuries but sounded like he had some potential.

Sign that man!

Joe wark by a mile as the best servant we ever had

This post has brought back so many fond memories

McRae - best keeper in last 40 years

Up front Pettigrew when he stepped on the gas was magnificent - faddy just made you laugh when he ripped p*** out of the opposition up the left .

this is a tough one as i have many fav players from many different seasons so i will do every position my fav def was tom boyd closely followed nijholt midfield has to be the legend phil odonnell followed by colin psycho oneil and davie cooper up front theres so many arnott coyne coyle clarkson etc

starting watchin the well in the 90's so for me has to be rab mackinnon, a bit controversial choosing a left back but unlike jim paterson or stevie hammell, the well fans didn't need to shout "skin him jim" or anything he just would distribution into the box top drawer thought the guy was excellent.

Also loved big sieb in between the sticks players with real personality that made you want to watch them, because from game to game you didn't know what that crazy sob would do!!!!

Big buff in defence for me miss having players with that much authority!!!!

Was there to see clarky's hatrick against dundee utd first one i ever saw and was totally in awe!!!

loads of memories for different reasons i was born in bellshill moved to livingstone for 11 years and used to support rangers, before my dad took me to my first football match against hibs at fp.

think we won 1-0 on the day after the game he asked me if i wanted a motherwell scarf and i haven't looked back since!!!

It's strang bcos i h8 rangers more than most clubs now i guess that comes with being a doormen at the thistle in larkhall for 2 years oh well ho hum

rant over i love the well!!!!!!!!!!## :wacko:

Such a difficult question! So many great players pulled on the Claret and Amber, but for me it' Phil O'Donnell. Thought he was fantastic - was my hero when I was younger and, well yeah even when I was older. Obviously, his cup final goal was unforgettable, but he always played for the team. He was always playing for something and was a superb captain. Faddy comes a close second - I even remember being at school when he had his famous red hair and all the boys copying it. I wanted to do the same - just didn't work out the same! :)