Overrated Players

fizoxy

Is Joe still playing??? :ph34r: He knew my father but havenae seen hin in a while :O

you know what i mean. it seems like the fans attitudes to our players is changing. i'm only 26 so i don't actually know if joe was as revered during his playing days as he is now but the guys in our team who are creeping up to near his appearance total get very little respect from the fans.

a lot of people seemed to be spoiled by watching so much high class football on tv and taken in by the andy gray/hansen nonsense where every goal is analysed like the zappruder film and blame apportioned.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, what?? Please explain why you think Skippy was overrated in his time here?!?!?!

Sigh. Don't you get it? McDonald only had one of the best scoring records of any Motherwell striker in modern times, scored season after season after season consistently with no real lean period, was capped at international level while with the club, literally saved Motherwell FC from relegation with his last couple of goals, provided us with one of the iconic moments of being a Motherwell fan on Helicopter Sunday and left for one of the biggest fees the club has ever taken in when we got him for nothing.

He then went on to a hugely successful Celtic side where he was the main striker and goalscorer and bagged goals in the Champions League against the likes of AC Milan and Manchester United.

Obviously he was crap and over rated!

a better question is why are so many well fans these days keen to put down players who are commited to the club and work hard on the park. hammell, craigan and lasley are club legends and have shown recently thay still have loads to contribute yet people consistently want to put them down and this season we've had threads in which posters (diddies) say they're finished and should be punted.

i remember my dad telling me how him and all the guys from his pub wrote a letter to john philliben after the 91 final because they were that guttted for him they didn't play. would something like that happen these days? what would be the reaction to some of our club legends from modern fans. imagine the reaction to wullie p coming back with fhw and united and i bet there would be threads about how it was time for joe wark to retire.

we've been extremely lucky over the years and especially so recently that we've had a good combination of talented players and also quite a few who truly have the club at heart. the players we've had in my time have been far better than what fans at the other non city clubs have had to watch so can we not maybe just be grateful we're not st mirren fans and give our guys a bit of support and recognition.

Bravo.

Agree with every word.

It works like this.

Most of the players that play for Motherwell (like most other teams) fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum regards footballing ability. You will have the likes of McFadden, Coyne and Cooper who are above this level. You will have the likes of Gulli Jonsson, Bob Maaskant and Mario Dorner who are below this.

But there in the middle you have a wide range from Simo Valakari to Maros Klimpl, Rab Shannon to Paul Quinn, Dougie Arnott to Scott McDonald. Why are some of these individuals more highly thought of than others? Pick a reason. Workrate (or lack of). Loyalty (or lack of). Who they played alongside (Shannon looked a worse player because everyone else in the 93/94 was so feckin good, someone had to be the worst player in the team). Other random factors (I love Cusack partly due to his fondness for assaulting Hearts players). Fans take to some players more than they take to others. Why do I have more fondness for Valakari than I do for Klimpl when there wasn't that much between their abilities? Search me. If I knew the science of it, I'd be a genius...

To sum up, fans are fickle. We like who we like...

That Slovakian that went to Dundee. He was fucking chronic, scored 1 goal and that was about it, but it didn't stop a section of our fans buying Slovakian flags and saying he was the best midfielder we had since Scott Leitch.

Pish!

I rated Klimpl simply because he wasn't Bob Malcolm :D - it amazing the difference in doing the same job only sitting 20-30 yards up the park does.

I'd also suggest Bob Malcolm but he had superb passing ability apparently. :lol:

Utter pish.

Read my post above. Fans take to players for all sorts of reasons. Reynolds gets cut slack for the same reason that Arnott got cut slack in his last couple of seasons. Being seen (rightly or wrongly) as one of our own. Of course, this rule isn't hard and fast. Why do Lasley and Clarkson receive nothing but praise when Fitzpatrick and Quinn don't? Don't tell me it's all about ability. Cos Fitzpatrick isn't that much of a worse player than Lasley...

Francois Dubordeaux and to a lesser extent Mark Brown. Both had their moments in their time at Fir Park without question, in Dub's case most notably in that 1-0 win over Rangers shown on the BBC.

To me though both seemed to have a reputation above their actual ability simply because they weren't Stevie Woods.

Controversially, I'd say much the same about Sieb Dykstra not being John Gardiner :lol: Big Sieb never struck me as a particularly outstanding keeper at the time, although he certainly had other cult hero characteristics.

Controversially, I'd say much the same about Sieb Dykstra not being John Gardiner :lol: Big Sieb never struck me as a particularly outstanding keeper at the time, although he certainly had other cult hero characteristics.

Ma baws!!! Best performance i've ever seen from a Motherwell goalkeeper was that night we beat Rangers 2-1 at Fir Park in the title run-in under McLean. He had about 5 cracking saves from Drunken Ferguson alone!! He made mistakes but thought he was outstanding in the majority of matches.

Fling in the match of Fergus McCann's "home-coming" parade, we scored early doors and again Sieb had clean-sheet with plenty of excellent saves.

funny then that those 2 play professional football and you are just a smart arse on a message board :)

Just overlooked by the system, just overlooked my son. Probably why the Scottish game in such a sorry state :lol:

PS...i believe you meant sexy arse, thanks it's very peachy :D

Read my post above. Fans take to players for all sorts of reasons. Reynolds gets cut slack for the same reason that Arnott got cut slack in his last couple of seasons. Being seen (rightly or wrongly) as one of our own. Of course, this rule isn't hard and fast. Why do Lasley and Clarkson receive nothing but praise when Fitzpatrick and Quinn don't? Don't tell me it's all about ability. Cos Fitzpatrick isn't that much of a worse player than Lasley...

Nah, I'm not buying that. Arnott got cut slack in his last couple of years because he'd already given us a decade of loyal service, including being instrumental in a Scottish Cup win and two further jaunts into Europe, not to mention scoring loads of memorable goals against the Old Firm. Reynolds, for me, is no better or worse a player than Fitzpatrick, came through at around the same time and thus should be treated the same way. Which, I have to say, would be somewhere in the middle of how they are both treated just now. Comparing Reynolds to a bonafide legend is just ridiculous.