New Shirt Sponsor

'WellGall

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
looking at previous posts, most folk think it's going to be the Airdrie Savings Bank...

This was used purely as a joke sponsor on my C&A Airdrie mock up. The state banks are in at the moment I’m sure it’s the last thing Airdrie Savings Bank are thinking about.

I think another online betting company is the more likely option. Clubs the size of Motherwell rarely attract big world brand name sponsors, with American multinational telecommunications company Motorola being the exception to the rule.

My top three new sponsor guesses would be...

1. Another .com gambling company

2. Local car dealership

3. LogintoLearn/local council style deal

In an ideal world I would prefer a sponsor free shirt, but sadly that could spell financial disaster for a club the size of Motherwell.

My top three new sponsor guesses would be...

1. Another .com gambling company

2. Local car dealership

3. LogintoLearn/local council style deal

Sounds reasonable, except the local council part. Working for one, I can say it's highly unlikely they'll spend any money as they are, in general, looking to find around £30m-worth of cuts for next year's budget, having already cut nearly £20m from this year's.

I'm sure I heard a local financial company suggested somewhere. Certainly, there is one in Hamilton Road run by a Well fan. Don't know if they have the sort of money this would take, but I know he'd love to see his coy's name on Motherwell tops. 

I thought a deal with a 'local financial institution' was all but confirmed? It will be disastrous if we don't have a main shirt sponsor.

we will have. even if we have to sell the sponsorship for half what we usually do. MFC, as a rule, is desperate for cash. Therefore, someone will get a bargain if we can't find a decent sponsor in time.

John Boyle supports quite a few charities with his Romanian orphans one being the most well known.

While a charity sponsor would be good PR it would not raise much needed cash for the club.

Agreed, but if it's the only option then it'll be a goer.

The figure I was told was obviously nowhere near that which Jaxx paid, (it did make me wonder if it's a replacement for the logintolearn.com on the back of the shirt, but I'm sure that's still got a bit to run), though I don't know if it was perhaps only for a 1 year sponsorship, which would even it up slightly.

Agreed, but if it's the only option then it'll be a goer.

The figure I was told was obviously nowhere near that which Jaxx paid, (it did make me wonder if it's a replacement for the logintolearn.com on the back of the shirt, but I'm sure that's still got a bit to run), though I don't know if it was perhaps only for a 1 year sponsorship, which would even it up slightly.

If there's no money in it why would they bother, or are you talking along the lines of the Airdire deal mentioned previously?

If there's no money in it why would they bother, or are you talking along the lines of the Airdire deal mentioned previously?

Although we'd all prefer our shirts with no sponsor on it, the club would consider any deal going if they didn't have many/any options. A small amount of money is better than nothing.

Can't remember the details about Airdrie's deal.

I don't know too many details, and I'm not sure whether the charity put the idea to us, or if we went to them. It is a charity the club have done publicity with before AFAIK. They were trying to raise the cash for some kind of sponsorship starting next season and would receive a small percentage from each shirt sale, probably £1 or something.

But if the club has nothing else or the charity could secure funding from somewhere, it could happen this season.

EDIT: It could also be that it's only for the sponsorship on 1 of the kits and we could have a different sponsor for the other kit. (Not something I heard in relation to this, just something that a few teams do these days, and again might help go towards covering the shortfall.)