Qualifing For Europe

thewhitepele

Why do you think it took us till 1991 to qualify for europe for the first time? Consider some of the teams we have had in the past and look at the sides that managed to qualify before us Dundee,Kilmarnock,St.johnstone,Morton,even St.mirren first made it in 1980 and the fact we have done it 3 seasons in a row now,is it just down to the rules being changed so that more teams qualify each season or are there other reasons.Its interesting to note that of the current SPL only 2 sides havent qualified at all and we would be the last side to make our debut in 91/92 out of the current 12.

Why do you think it took us till 1991 to qualify for europe for the first time? Consider some of the teams we have had in the past and look at the sides that managed to qualify before us Dundee,Kilmarnock,St.johnstone,Morton,even St.mirren first made it in 1980 and the fact we have done it 3 seasons in a row now,is it just down to the rules being changed so that more teams qualify each season or are there other reasons.Its interesting to note that of the current SPL only 2 sides havent qualified at all and we would be the last side to make our debut in 91/92 out of the current 12.

Does make you wonder when you consider that there were 'Well sides of some repute in the sixties and in spells in the 70's and think of the fantastic tales of both Dundee sides getting to European Cup Semi Finals, Dunfermline getting to the Semi's of the Cup Winners Cup and Killie giving German sides four goals of a start and still pumping them.

And yet we never got a sniff of the fun?

We were fortunate we got the Euro gig last season through the Fair Play route but we didn't set the rules for that and remember too that there have been plenty teams who got to play in the UEFA Cup or Cup Winners Cup before we only got there because they happened to be fortunate enough to play one of the Old Firm in the Cup Final. So in short we got in by the rules that others set so I don't feel guilty about that one in the slightest.

But that apart we've been in the top flight now for about a quarter of a century and have had several great sides during that time so no surprise that we've made it a few times now during that period.

In a selfish way I'm a wee glad we made it when we did as it has allowed me to savour supporting MFC in Europe and hopefully it'll continue to be a regular feature going forward.

The closest we ever came was in the mid 70's when we twice just missed out in the league and lost 2 cup semi finals.

The good team from the 60's had already broken up although we also lost 2 semi finals and in the 80's we were just pish!

Still, enjoying it now and hopefully we'll get back in next season.

Ps, Odense lost 2-1 last night away to Getafe.

I know that if we had got through the draw would have been completely different but can't help thinking that if we had got through and were given the group that Odense got we might actually have had a right good chance of making it a season to remember. look at Fulham last year/

Mon the Dossers

what are the options to get into europe again next year? Is it still top 2 teams for campions league? Does league cup winner get a europa league spot? Scottish cup winner gets a spot.

how high do we need to finish to get a spot for league position?

I know it all depends on who wins what and where they are in the league but not sure how many spots are up for grabs. Also if we drop to only being allowed 1 team in champions league that pretty much takes away a europa league spot since one of the old firm will no doubt grab onbe of those places.

My football memory only extends back to the early eighties but certainly for most of the 1980's Scotland's European places were monopolized by Rangers, Celtic, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen. Hardly anyone else got a shot.

It's funny how fans sometimes say the league is boring now because the Top Two are always the Top Two but back then the Top Four was always nearly the Top Four with Hearts occasionally making a challenge. The league was actually much more static then than now and clubs like ours had next to no chance of competing for cups and European qualification.

It was only in the very late eighties when Aberdeen and Dundee Utd started fall back that we started to emerge. Never mind the cup win, I remember being ecstatic when we finished 6th in the league in 1990/91 - such dizzy heights had never been experienced before!

Would love to have seen Rennie, W.Watson, Wark, Forsyth, B.Watson, Deans, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Goldthorpe, Donnelly, Heron, McVie, McCadam, Whiteford, etc., etc., grace the Euro arena.

Ask any 'Well fan over 56(ish) about the Floodlight Friendlies :notworthy:

That team would have done well in Europe, won enough games in the Texaco.

Talking to a guy today who was at 5-2 game at Ibrox 1961 :P

I was also at the 5-2 game. Pat Delaney's goal from about 25 yards out was a cracker.This was in the days of the heavy leather balls.

I think it was the following year that we played Rangers in the Semi Final of the Cup at Hampden.Right from the start they decided to stop us playing,Bert McCann was badly injured and ended up as a passenger on the right wing,he couldn't run far less kick a ball.As the game progressed some of the other Motherwell players seemed to be carrying knocks as well.

Rangers won 3-1.

Celtic were playing the other semi-final at Ibrox and with about 10 mins. to go someone started a rumour that the scum supporters had set fire to the main stand, a cheer went up from some of the 'Well support and on the way to the buses,no segregation in them days, some major scuffles broke out.

I remember scarfs getting flicked in my face and my mother giein' it laldy to some fat guy in a Rangers scarf before my faither stepped in to stop any retaliation.

Friendly Floodlight Nights

After the first night when Preston North End beat us 3-2,I think we went something like seven years undefeated by quality foreign opposition. I'm sure the stats are somewhere but I can't find them.

I was only a young lad but I remember an air of excitment walking with the crowds to Fir Park,the place was always mobbed for these games,brilliant atmosphere and really good football without the pressures of the league. :rolleyes: