The Chase For The Top Six

Rickoza

I think two wins from our games before the split should see us in the top six. Inverness seem to have lost their way. Dundee Utd will make it as will Killie. So it will be:

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts

Dundee Utd

Kilmarnock

Motherwell

I feel Aberdeen and Hibs are just out of touching distance as are St Johnstone.

A top six after the season we have had will be an excellent achievement.

Kilmarnock...... P27, 39pts

Motherwell....... P28, 38pts

Dundee Utd..... P25, 34pts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inverness CT... P28, 33pts

Aberdeen.......... P28, 31pts

Hibernian.......... P28, 31pts

St Johnstone.... P27, 31pts

Here are the fixtures:

KILMARNOCK

Hearts (A), Motherwell (H), St Johnstone (A), Inverness (H), Rangers (A) + Celtic (H)

MOTHERWELL

Inverness (A), Kilmarnock (A), Aberdeen (H), Dundee Utd (H), Hearts (A)

DUNDEE UTD

Aberdeen (H), Hamilton (H), Hearts (H), Inverness (H), Rangers (A), Motherwell (A), St Johnstone (H) + Rangers (H)

INVERNESS

Motherwell (H), Dundee Utd (A), Celtic (H), Kilmarnock (A), Hearts (H)

ABERDEEN

Dundee Utd (A), Motherwell (A), St Mirren (A), Hibs (H) + Rangers (H)

HIBERNIAN

St Johnstone (A), Celtic (A), Hearts (H), Aberdeen (A), Hamilton (H)

ST JOHNSTONE

Hibs (H), Hamilton (A), Kilmarnock (H), Dundee Utd (A), Celtic (H) + Rangers (H)

Its gonna be tight!

Kilmarnock play both the OF and Hearts away, so realistically they will only pick up points against Caley, us or St. Johnstone.

Dundee Utd. if you consider the 2 Rangers games and Hearts as the three they have in hand over us means they will still be three points behind. Then its a similar run in to us, only difference is they have a Accies game to our Hearts away.

The three games between Killie and Dundee Utd will make our season as there are 2x 6 pointers and a chance to rub it in against Brown. Please lets secure things rather than have to get something against Hearts or rely on other results.

Kilmarnock play both the OF and Hearts away, so realistically they will only pick up points against Caley, us or St. Johnstone.

I'll get my coat.

What's even more annoying I didn't even bother putting Caley Thistle in the summary as I didn't count them as contenders. One point behind confirms we don't like doing things easy (e.g. Hibs at home).

Stuart McCall has sent out the warnings to out of contract players regarding finishing in the top six;

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall has warned his out-of-contract stars there will be no new deals unless they claim a top-six finish.

McCall hopes his grim message will act as a wake-up call following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Inverness.

Stephen Craigan, John Sutton, Steve Jennings and Francis Jeffers now know the extra cash generated by holding on to a top-six spot can keep them at the club.

McCall said: "Finishing in the top six would help increase my budget and make things that bit easier.

"I'm aware of everyone's situation but having a few extra quid would help me sort out new contracts so that's the carrot for the players."

Meanwhile, Jeffers believes his side have a decent chance of claiming Scottish Cup glory now Rangers are out.

He said: "It helps that Gers are no longer in it. We have a tough draw at Dundee United but if we beat them we're in the semi-finals and then anything can happen."

Im normally reasonibly optimistic but I cant see us getting any more than 4 points from our remaining games and pretty sure that wont be enough to make the top 6. Would be gutted to see Sutton and Jenno leave but to be honest I think Craigans playing days are limited but have great respect for his chracter and believe he has a big influence on the team.

I think Craigans playing days are limited but have great respect for his chracter and believe he has a big influence on the team.

Agree with that. Great respect for the man and what he's done with the Well. But with our funds the way they are, i'd be bemused if we offered Craigan anything more than a one year contract.

Jennings is a certainty to leave. Championship bound for me. I don't think Craigan's contract will be renewed as he should be one of the top earners. I would be surprised if Jeffers was with us next year. Sutton, I think we will keep.

Motherwell should keep Sutton, Jennings and Craigan IMO.

I see no reason why we shouldn't still have Sutton next season, as he's already indicated that he's keen to stay.

I also think Jennings will be off in the summer, probably Championship-bound, and I think Craigan will sign a new deal to stay at the club.

Jeffers can do whatever the fuck he wants as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't involve Motherwell.

I've been happy enough with Dundee Utd picking up points from their games in hand as it dented the hopes of Inverness and Aberdeen in doing so.

If it means they'll be a further step towards having secured their top six place by the time we come to play them in April, I'll be quite happy if they pump Accies on Thursday night too.

I'll worry about finishing as high as we can within the top six if and when we actually make it. For now its a case of just getting in there.

Makes it a bit annoying that we've passed up some fair opportunities in recent weeks to make it a lot easier for ourselves but we still have a decent chance of doing it.

Yet again, as last season, the players have not made it easy for themselves and we are looking at trying to squeeze into 6th place. Wins against St Mirren and ITC would have just about sealed a top 6 finish and put us in a great position to battle for 4th. TBH I think ITC will nick 6th place.

• Like 1

Looking at the fixtures, St Johnstone, ICT & Hibs all play after we have played our last game before the split, hence potentially having the huge advantage of knowing what they have to do, if anything, in their last game to overhaul us (Dons, Utd or Killie). Surely this is an unfair advantage? Anyone know why that is? Looks like our last game before the split is on the 9th April at Swinecastle, whilst Saints & ICT play the following Saturday and Hibs play the following Sunday, I think that might turn out to be crucial, but only time will tell.

Wins against St Mirren and ITC would have just about sealed a top 6 finish and put us in a great position to battle for 4th. TBH I think ITC will nick 6th place.

I also think Inverness Thaledonian Cistle will nick 6th place, Butcher will have them proper pumped up for their remaining games.

i think it'll go down to the last game before the split with us and inverness battling it out for 6th place. i think we'll need to get atleast a point out our away games and maximum points at home to have any chance of making the top 6.i just hope that defeat to st mirren doesnt come back to haunt us

Yes only one place now possible for us in the top 6 as Utd and Killie have made it as far as im concerned. I dont think we're good enough and will finish below Caley who are ahead of us and i fully expect Hibs to catch us now. We've proved against St.Mirren-Caley and Accies that we aint good enough sorry but that's how i see it. <_>