New Signings

CoF

I know this probably isn't worth a whole new thread but I thought after the transfer window panic it's worthwhile acknowledging that McCall seems to have done pretty well. 3 signing and all of them seem to be more than capable of holding a place in the first team. Going through the man of the match threads on here also says a lot, think at least one of the new signings has won it or been second in the votes every week. Definately guys that seem capable of influencing a game, and not a wasted wage in sight!

Granted they are all on short term contacts but we were never in a position to be fussy at the end of December. Those three signings might have just about saved our season.

I know this probably isn't worth a whole new thread but I thought after the transfer window panic it's worthwhile acknowledging that McCall seems to have done pretty well. 3 signing and all of them seem to be more than capable of holding a place in the first team. Going through the man of the match threads on here also says a lot, think at least one of the new signings has won it or been second in the votes every week. Definately guys that seem capable of influencing a game, and not a wasted wage in sight!

Granted they are all on short term contacts but we were never in a position to be fussy at the end of December. Those three signings might have just about saved our season.

Too early to say probably, but they certainly look very promising. Gunning in particular looked very impressive on Saturday there. I know Hammell has played well there all season but I thought Gunning looked even better, especially going forward.

Rather than condemming the gaffer's signing 'cos he husnae a fuckin' clue', I and many other 'Well fans were happy to wait and see how McCall's tenure at the helm of the ole ship 'Motherwell'.

I know he wasn't first choice or whatever to be gaffer but I think that his first month/six weeks in the job has been good and his signings have had a positive effect.

More of the same please! :doh:

Jones - Offers good balance up front, we were relying too much via Humphrey and were quickly being sussed out by our opponents. For a 34 year old he 'aint half nippy.

Gunning - Strong and tall, likes to get forward, impressive. I'd like to know if he could play left mid with Hammell sitting behind or vice-versa, whoever doesn't go forward drops into left back for cover.

Jeffers - You could see on Saturday he does have that extra "1 second" and killer first touch.

Who knows how they'll pan out over the next few months but I think that considering that some of these guys may have been plan b,c,or d, they have done pretty well so far. They address the areas the manager highlighted as needing cover and may just give some of the tired legs a rest and allow some rotation in the squad. Especially with Jones, Hammell and Saunders all coming back to full fitness.

3 good signings out of 3 is extremely welcome after the last couple of windows. as mccall says we have options now and we'll need them during the next 8 matches.

wednesday is our 38th match of the season already and we'll play a minimum of 50 but hopefully 52 or 53 (craggs has already played 42 games which is good going). if we're going to have a strong finish we'll need contributions from everyone and those signings could prove vital.

a wee bonus fact is that tom hateley has appeared in every game since he signed, 78 games in a row.

Aye can't really grumble about the signings at all.

Jones has played his part and also got a goal when asked to play up front. Also at 34 still has pace and a few tricks. Good backup.

Jeffers looks like a very good forward player who still has that wee burst of pace. Also makes space for him and other forward players. Good buy.

Gunning was very good against Accies and he allows us to move Hammell into a left midfiled slot which is good.

It may not be as many as McCall wanted to bring in, but it might just be enough to secure a top six spot.

Also you could say that he has a new signing in Shuan Hutchison who has been excellent.

Ditto to all that's been said so far. With added apology for doubting the Jeffers signing as a waste of money. Early days but he could be very handy once he's match fit.

I am very impressed with Gunning - his size, control and movement. He would make a great longer time signing if he ever became available.

At 34, Jones has been relatively impressive. He may be worth a 1 year contract in June.

To early to judge McCall or his players, you can only really do it on a game by game basis.

The end of the season will bring a clearer picture of everyone's worth.

It's nice to see something positive posted for a change but really I think a lot of people need a more detached view instead of everything either being brilliant or awful.

To early to judge McCall or his players, you can only really do it on a game by game basis.

The end of the season will bring a clearer picture of everyone's worth.

It's nice to see something positive posted for a change but really I think a lot of people need a more detached view instead of everything either being brilliant or awful.

You're right there although I'm not to sure anyone is saying everything is brilliant. A bit of tentative optimism after some good individual performances is all thats going on I think. The two wins have lightened the mood here but they might also turn out to be as meaningful as the pumping by rangers in terms of where we end up at the end of the season. It's just nice to be in a position where it seems the rest season might not be a total write off.

Can someone explain how Mike Grella is now allowed to go out on loan to Swindon as reported on SSN today?

The FA don't recognise emergency loans (any loan between 30 and 93 days) as a registration with another club. The players papers technically remain with Leeds United so he has technically not signed, and played for more than Leeds United. This has been McCall's biggest gripe, and why he came out and complained, as a player based in England could technically play for 12 clubs in one season but is unable to move to another association if he played for two clubs.