A G M Tomorrow

LadywellToi

I've no idea to be honest.

I don't know whether its come up at any recent AGM's, I've not been at one for quite a few years now, but there was some chat (pre-administration) about creating a different type of share that would allow you to get the accounts and attend the AGM's but wouldn't have any voting privileges.

As I say don't know if that idea has ever been re-visited since.

If it does come up in any way tomorrow I'll let you know. If not, and you are interested, fire a letter/email off to Leanne Dempster and ask the question, that's how my old man managed to get a token amount for me when I was a laddie.

I'm sure any fan can buy shares, by contacting the club. Quite a few have done just that in recent years. You don't have to purchase a huge amount - probably multiples of 5/10 shares. The last I heard they were worth about £10 each.

If that's the case, then, the club should market it properly. I'd imagine there's a few 'Individuals' who would buy into this. Wee framed certificate on the wall. Cue, A lot of happy 'Dossers..........

If that's the case, then, the club should market it properly. I'd imagine there's a few 'Individuals' who would buy into this. Wee framed certificate on the wall. Cue, A lot of happy 'Dossers..........

I'm no company law expert but I think there's some legal barrier to prevent the club from openly advertising shares. Perhaps the Forum's resident legal experts can shed some light on this.

At this evening’s Annual General Meeting (AGM), owner John Boyle issued the following statement.

It is 13 years since I acquired Motherwell FC, my hometown club. There have been famous times and difficult times, but this club has remained a special part of my life as a supporter as well as its owner.

During those 13 years, I have supported the many loss-making years and ensured Motherwell’s survival in some tricky, parlous times. I have seen that as my duty because I have been conscious of two things in the years since I acquired the club in 1998:

•That I am merely a custodian of a club that this year is 125 years old. This club was here long before I was born and it must be here long after I have gone; and

•Motherwell is a community club and, whatever the business documents and share certificates say, the club really belongs to the community and its fans. It always has and always will.

I have decided to stand down as Chairman before the start of next season. I will pass on control of the club to current directors who are working with me now on an ambitious new plan to allow wider ownership and involvement in the club for all who care about it.

Since the new directors Jim McMahon, Derek Weir, Leeann Dempster and Andrew Wilson have been appointed over the last year or so, working with John Swinburne and Bill Dickie, it has been their intention to make the club less dependent on myself and I fully encourage these efforts.

To this end, I will not ask for any payment to me or to my family for our shares in the club. It is time for us to hand over the baton. We have enjoyed our years as part of Motherwell’s distinguished history. Now, we look forward to following the club’s progress with new owners, new ideas and, hopefully, new success as it celebrates its 125th anniversary and moves into the future.”

Derek Weir, Motherwell Vice Chairman commented, ‘It has always been the Board’s intention that the club should not remain dependent solely on John Boyle’s goodwill and that the club should have a wider ownership and stronger financial basis.

“John’s generosity in requiring no payment for his shares will enable us to realise these objectives and the Board will be issuing full details of this transition in the next few weeks.

“No Motherwell supporter has ever been in any doubt about the passion and support John has brought to our club. During his ownership he has spent a total of £10 million supporting the club, and made frequent injections of cash from his personal funds.

“We are very lucky to have had a person of his integrity, intellect and talent at the helm of our club for so long. He will be missed but we will make sure, when the baton is passed, it is to a club that has strong, sustainable foundations.”

If anyone is interesting in working alongside the club in its exciting new plans, then please contact Leeann Dempster on 01698 333333 or email

Anyone who was there tonight care to summarise the other main points discussed?

A few things I recall. John Wilson was there and he generally does a first class round-up over on FPC of the AGM's.

Turnover very similar from this year to last with the exception of the sales of Quinn and Clarkson and McGhee compensation money which turned around a considerable loss to a very marginal profit.

No major remedial work anticipated for pitch for summer - at the moment. Pitch will be re-seeded after Celtic game and should look better by Aberdeen game in April. Alan Dick said no worse than 4 other SPL pitches he's been delegate at recently. Pitch had 60% grass coverage pre-Christmas down to 30% now. Heavy sanding was as a result of algae (I thought that was found in ponds ;)) problem.

Talks ongoing about better and more modern training facilities. Hope to have something sorted by the end of the year.

Continuing to investigate worthiness of relocating stadium but concede there is no finance to do so. Reckon any prospective sale of Fir Park would only fund anything between 50%-60% of any new stadium based on cost of St Mirren's ground.

Club continue to aspire to be best Community Club in Scotland if not UK. Leeann cited examples of people attending courses with no prior connection to club but now holding season tickets - which incidently sales rose 13% this season.

Club remain undecided on league reconstruction. Agreement not as close as media suggest. Club would prefer larger league but accept 10 and 12 offers a better financial settlement at present. Apparently winner of SFL Division One will receive in region of £65,000 whilst 12th place in SPL nets £900,000. The new SPL2 is seen as a way of in time developing enough teams of a stature to then build up the numbers of the top flight. The fact that whereas now 12th will see you relegated but under new proposals finishing 8th could see you drop is not lost on board. MFC remain committed to starting league as early as possible in July.

Anything else I remember I'll add as an edit tomorrow.

Don't panic Jonesy - well not at this stage anyway.

They didn't make any suggestions at all of going with a St Mirren style ground or in fact any other stadium for that matter. They used their ground to give a comparison between how much they might expect to receive for Fir Park in relation to how much even a basic ground like that would cost.

They believe that even to afford a Greenhill Road style effort would require a considerable black hole to be filled after any sale of the land FP lies on.