John Boyle Steps Down

Browni

Given the lack of detail in the announcement, there are many possible takes on this news. One more optimistic one is that if a wealthy potential investor wanted to plough some cash into the club it would go towards a new stadium or better team rather than the purchase of shares.

Only time will tell.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this coming a mile off what with all the community club talk there has been all season. In the nicest possible way, is Motherwell the best place to experiment with a community concept? More crucially are we going to end up in the 3rd division with MEGABAR plastered to our strips.

Sad to lose such a loyal chairman who has been at the club for the vast majority of my time supporting.

I am going to try hard to keep my mind open on this one.

Aberdeen and Hibernian attract two to three times the crowds we do and have the ability to offer better wages and pay higher transfer fees. Decent management will see those two shoot past us up the league, and, to a lesser extent the same could be said of Dundee United.

As for us finding a level under McCall that will be higher than bottom three next season. Can you please explain exacrly what it is about McCall that inspires this kind of faith, as, from what I've seen and what I know of the man's managerial record there is absolutely nothing there to suggest he has anything like the skills needed to move our club forward.

Agree with you there Lip. Also consider that Dundee are regularly pulling in in excess of 5,000 fans at home games even in the 1st Division and have the same potential to be as good as their accross street neighbours.

IMO JB is getting out now while the getting out is good - this whole 'new concept' of a ten club SPL is going to finally kill Scottish football off.

Agree with you there Lip. Also consider that Dundee are regularly pulling in in excess of 5,000 fans at home games even in the 1st Division and have the same potential to be as good as their accross street neighbours.

IMO JB is getting out now while the getting out is good - this whole 'new concept' of a ten club SPL is going to finally kill Scottish football off.

We're a whole league above Dundee and will be next season so they offer no threat, so we have two teams who traditionally are better than us going to improve while in the Summer we are going to sit on our hands and do fuck all? Do me a favour.

We're a whole league above Dundee and will be next season so they offer no threat, so we have two teams who traditionally are better than us going to improve while in the Summer we are going to sit on our hands and do fuck all? Do me a favour.

FFS. Wind yer neck back in! Who said anything about Dundee offering a threat?

I was agreeing with another poster's remarks about an entirely different matter.

Saw this coming a mile off what with all the community club talk there has been all season. In the nicest possible way, is Motherwell the best place to experiment with a community concept? More crucially are we going to end up in the 3rd division with MEGABAR plastered to our strips.

Sad to lose such a loyal chairman who has been at the club for the vast majority of my time supporting.

I am going to try hard to keep my mind open on this one.

Exactly.

We're suffering from our own recent success just now, we need a relegation to regroup and galvanise the support. 25 years in the top division is too long for a club our size, our fans now expect top 6 never mind survival. Anything less is greeted with derision whereas past generations could only dream of mid-table obscurity as something to aim for rather than dread.

Sadly that relegation would bring with it financial armageddon so the likelihood is we'll die from apathy cos our fans expect too much rather than financial disaster cos there's no way we're going down.

We're suffering from our own recent success just now, we need a relegation to regroup and galvanise the support. 25 years in the top division is too long for a club our size, our fans now expect top 6 never mind survival. Anything less is greeted with derision whereas past generations could only dream of mid-table obscurity as something to aim for rather than dread.

Sadly that relegation would bring with it financial armageddon so the likelihood is we'll die from apathy cos our fans expect too much rather than financial disaster cos there's no way we're going down.

I sort of agree and disagree.

I don't think the change in expectation level is a recent phenomenon by any manner of means. We're going to be celebrating the 20th anniversary of winning the Cup this year (by winning the Cup :blink: ) but 91'92 season after that was a horrible experience supporting Motherwell because of the increased level of expectancy that winning the Cup brought. The atmosphere was horrendous. It wasn't helped by the displacement of the choir across the East Stand but there were shouting matches all over the place as people struggled to come to terms that we hadn't reached the same levels as the season or two before.

I'm really not so sure about the relegation thing though MJ. You are but one of several posters who regularly speak fondly of those First Division years - I remember them too albeit I was just a wean at the time - but I think its a different world now and I would much rather we rebuilt our squad in the manner that say Tommy McLean did two or three times whilst we remained in the top flight.

I think your point about mid-table obscurity is an important one though. We have been fortunate, if you could call it that, that the bulk of our seasons over the past two or three decades have had a purpose keeping us interested right to the end of the season. Mostly relegation battles granted although in more recent times, happily up the other end of the table. I think having a mid-table nothingness season whilst pleasing that you don't have any relegation fears is much less inspiring and lends itself to the type of ho-hum display on Wednesday and in turn winds up those who feel we should be doing better even more.

Its a difficult one. I agree that a bit more balance and perspective could be adopted by many before lashing out but I think I would rather encourage people to try to view things slightly differently than having them experience relegation.