Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

Can only echo what everyone else is saying. For once we all appear to have been at the same game! Randolph and Hutchy were absolutely outstanding but hats off to all the players for digging in and getting the points. All the more impressive considering it was such a depleted team. That's 2 games in a row now I've had to go walk up the back of the stand as my nerves couldn't take the alamoesque pressure we had put ourselves under in the closing stages. I don't know how I'll cope if we find ourselves in a similar situation at Hampden on April 16th!!!

That was an odd game last night. We looked off the pace, disjointed and unbalaced. But we took our two chances with a stroke of fortune. You do make your own luck though.

In the second half we just put up the defences and held on for grim life.

A great 3 points considering the state of the squad and the fact Dundee Utd are flying and have some very good players.

Also quick mention to Forbes. Why is he so slow? You look at Gomis and he passes, moves and turns on a sixpence, but with Forbes is a couple of touches and by then the player is on top of him. he needs to quicken up or he will never make it at his level. The boy can pass and is now getting stuck in, but if he doesn't quicken up he will be left behind.

Big Sutton need a rest pronto - he looked fecked after about 2 minutes!

I think there is so much to be proud of our team in the last couple of games. Whatever they lack in energy and skill they certainly make up for in guts.

United probably deserved a draw by the end in what was a keenly contested game of football but we scored a remarkable goal and a fluke and that cushion we got was just enough. When the energy has sapped out of you its so much easier to hang on.

In the first half we played some decent stuff without being brilliant but definitely we were the better team. I thought the 1-0 lead was just about deserved and the slice of luck we got with the 2nd gave us some breathing space.

United fired us a warning shot in first 5 mins of 2nd half but after that we calmed down again but with 20 to go you could see the legs wearying and the out ball getting harder and harder and the midfield retreating deeper and deeper. As such they flung plenty of balls in, but with one blip, coped admirably. Randolph had a couple of saves when they worked their way through but yet again he proves to be a brick wall in that goal. His save at the end was outstanding.

It was clear in the 2nd half Sutton and Humphrey were jaded but their efforts make you so proud to support them.

If Inverness catch us from here I will doff my cap to them and they will thoroughly deserve it. However I'm 95% convinced they won't so I'd be willing to take a risk on Saturday and rest Humphrey, Lasley and Sutton. I know it may mean we lose at Tynecastle but Humphrey down the wing against St Johnstone at Fir Park was unplayable on a pitch as big as Hampden could be carnage and Lasley and Jennings are a must combination and Sutton will be needed to win balls v Duberry so given the magnitude of Saturday week its a risk worth taking and one we've earned over the last week.