Where Do The Board Of Mfc Currently Stand On Reconstruction

Steve Diggle

Motherwell will vote for a new 10-club Scottish Premier League - should the proposal be altered to reduce the immediate dangers to their own club.

Vice-chairman Derek Weir told BBC Scotland that his club think next season is too soon to make a change.

And Well also would prefer one rather than two SPL clubs being involved in relegation play-offs every season.

"We would not want to see an eighth-placed side having to go into a play off - that is too much," said Weir.

The SPL strategy document had targeted next season as the one where, at its conclusion, the top-flight would be reduced to 10 teams.

But Dundee United this week reiterated their opposition to reducing the number of top-flight clubs from the present 12 while stressing that they were keen on the other proposals.

Kilmarnock and Inverness Caledonian Thistle are also thought to be continuing their opposition ahead of a vote that has already been delayed from March until May because it was unlikely to achieve the necessary 11-1 majority.

And Weir says the move comes too soon for his club because current Motherwell owner John Boyle is set to hand over his shareholding to a new consortium at the end of the season.

"We see the need for change and are fully engaged in the process," said their vice-chairman.

The new set-up would allow clubs to strengthen financially and once that is achieved then we could move towards a bigger league

Derek Weir

Motherwell vice-chairman

"But we have indicated the changes to the current strategy that we would like to see, which would allow us to vote for a new league of 10.

"There are a couple of outstanding points which concern us. We are in the process of a change of ownership and the proposals to move to a new set-up for next season come too soon for us.

"If we knew how much time there was to prepare for a new set-up, we would be happier. At the moment, we don't have enough time to plan ahead given the change of ownership which we have coming.

"We also think that only the ninth and 10th-placed teams in a new 10-club league should be involved in relegation and play-offs.

"If those outstanding points can be addressed then we are supportive of the proposals."

Weir also indicated that the move to 10 clubs could be a temporary arrangement in progressing to a bigger top league in the future.

"The new set-up would allow clubs to strengthen financially and once that is achieved then we could move towards a bigger league in the future, which most of us want," he added.

I've been contemplating this, and I'm still raging that MFC are quite happy to continue with this ten team nonsense even though the majority of fans around the country are against it.

reading Mr Weirs comments it seems MFC are hung up on the play off numbers

surely that means we are concerned at making the drop, from 8th?

but we've been told this restructure is to provide more cash for the 2nd tier,

but then if we're concerned with the drop from 8th

then surely we shouldn't be gambling with the clubs future by voting in a proposal that puts even 9th at risk and relegates 10th.11th and 12th

10 team league would drop my already dismal 5-10 games a season down to probably nil. I would satisfy myself with spending the £25 entry money in the Boozer on drink, along with all the other cash I would have spent getting to Fir Park.

Pretty much a no-brainer if you ask me, and if any club is fool enough to be taken in (yet again) by the propoganda of the 4-5 best supported teams in Scotland.

i still don't understand why people feel so strongly about this.

is there that big a difference between playing 9 teams 4 times in a ten team league and the status quo of 6 teams 3 times plus 5 teams 4 times? would or season have been that bad if accies and midden had never blackened or eyes and we played hibs, ict, st johnstone and the sheep one more time?

the reason they are trying to do this is to strenghten the teams currently in the first and make relegation from the spl less of a financial blow. you look at the problems of the likes of falkirk, qots and dundee and it's clear they need a hand.

If the wealth was distributed more evenly then I doubt Milne & Co. would be shouting so loudly for a smaller top flight :dash2:

It's all about servicing the debt of incompetent stewardship, and nowt to do with youth development.

IMHO Scottish football's future will not be secured with a 10 Team SPL, and if that is what MFC vote for I'll be bitterly disappointed.

They want less fixtutes as it suits the old firm with their wishful thinking of runs in europe. If it was to help the teams in first division the easy fix is to keep the league as it is but relegate / promote two teams each season . Therefore allow more chance off smaller clubs a shot of the big time.

i still don't understand why people feel so strongly about this.

is there that big a difference between playing 9 teams 4 times in a ten team league and the status quo of 6 teams 3 times plus 5 teams 4 times? would or season have been that bad if accies and midden had never blackened or eyes and we played hibs, ict, st johnstone and the sheep one more time?

the reason they are trying to do this is to strenghten the teams currently in the first and make relegation from the spl less of a financial blow. you look at the problems of the likes of falkirk, qots and dundee and it's clear they need a hand.

So what are the figures quoted for the finances they are kindly donating to the First division? What is the source of all this extra revenue? If Falkirk QoS etc. need a hand, how about including them in an expanded SPL and distributing the income more evenly? How about reducing the likelihood teams are relegated so that the product on the field can be more expansive instead of 'park the bus'?

The 10-team SPL is for the benefit of the OF by scheduling one more bigot extravaganza each season, and allowing them a couple of lucrative extra exhibition games. It has nothing to do with entertaining the punters coming through the gates and even less to do with improving the quality of the product.

• Like 1

The Trust have issued the following on the subject via our website;

The Trust views with concern comments made by Motherwell vice-chairman Derek Weir in an interview carried on the BBC website.

His quotes suggest that the club might vote for a ten team league if some changes were to be made to the current set of proposals.

The Trust board opposes any move to a ten team league and believes that the overwhelming majority of Motherwell fans, in common with supporters all over Scotland, are of the same view.

To test again the opinion of Motherwell fans, the Trust will be seeking the views of those who attend the pre-cup final on Friday, May 20th, and have collected completed opinion forms from the 1991 panel night on Tuesday past.

The questions are available online and links have been posted on fans' websites. You can access the survey by clicking here.

The results will be published before the SPL clubs vote on the issue and the Trust hopes that the club will give supporters' opinions on the matter due weight before reaching a final decision on this crucial matter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dunfermline's John Yorkston says 10-club SPL 'is dead'

A proposed move to a 10-team Scottish Premier League is now dead, according to newly promoted Dunfermline Athletic's chairman John Yorkston.

It follows a meeting of representatives from eight of the current 12 clubs at Tynecastle to discuss the way forward for the top flight.

Only Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibernian were not represented.

"There was a unanimous decision in favour of re-investigating a league of 14," Yorkston told BBC Scotland.

"A 14 reflects the wishes of the fans and would allow the development of players without the fear factor.

"The SPL have been notified of this and we'll see how things move forward.

"I think it's safe to say that, after today's discussions, a league of 10 is now dead."

The 10-club proposal was the result of a SPL working party containing directors from Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibernian, Motherwell, Rangers and St Mirren.

Hamilton Academical chairman Ronnie McDonald also voiced his support for the proposal before the Lanarkshire club's relegation.

Aberdeen continue to back a smaller division and a club spokesman told BBC Scotland: "The 10-club proposal is the only one that is financially viable.

"We have yet to see any other model which is workable financially.

"A top tier of 10 with another tier of 10 clubs below is the one which we have publicly backed and is the only one that stacks up."

SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster, claiming there was broad support for the proposals, had also warned that a 10-club set-up was the only one that was financially viable.

But a proposed vote on change has been delayed on three occasions when it became clear that the required 11-1 majority would not be achieved.

Kilmarnock, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Dundee United and Motherwell have been vocal in their opposition to aspects of the plan.

A 10-club top-flight was only one of a number of proposed reforms, including a a merger with the Scottish Football League leading to pyramid structure in Scottish football, relegation play-offs and a redustribution of money away from the top two positions in the league and reallocating it to the other eight clubs.

Doncaster was adamant that those other measures could only be agreed along with a reduction to 10 clubs in the SPL.

However, he also said it was up to clubs opposing the plan to come up with alternatives.

I have no idea why the board would be for a 10 team league. We're a pretty up and down club and one bad season (such as the Malpas season) could see us sent down to the first divsion or "SPL 2". Then we'd be fucked, potentially stuck there for a couple of seasons. How many fans would come back to watch Motherwell if they were sent down to the SPL 2 to play against the likes of Ross County, Raith Rovers and Queen of the South? Not a lot I would imagine. Yes the loyal supporters probably would but the newer supporters who are vital to clubs of our size would be driven away.

The problem is no matter what format you go with Scotland has too many diddy teams. If you have a 14 team set up with the diddy teams fighting relegation you have the mid table teams left with mid/end of season dross which results in falling attendences. If you have a 10 team set up you have have half the league fearing for their very existence which leads to dross games and again falling attendence. I'm not proposing to know the answer but i can't see either of these formats making football more attractive to the Motherwell, Hibs, St. Johnstone fans of the world.

The answer is simple. 14 teams plus a more equitable distribution of revenues. That way, the 'diddy' teams will be able to compete on a more equal footing.

The difficulty, of course, lies in making the OF part with any extra cash.

By diddy teams i mean teams like Accies who are always gonna be fighting relegation no matter what size the league is. The trouble is the OF will never agree to share the wealth so chairmen with balls required to vote for an SPL without the OF. Much better league, more equal reasources & no weekly bile. Everyone's a winner except the OF but who gives a toss about them. When they stated that first chance they get they will be off then they made their bed so they can lie in it.

14 is a step in the right direction but a return to 18 is always my preferred option, with all monies spread equally throughout the game never mind the top league. This elitist pish has brought about a massive reduction in the attractiveness of our game and the Old Firm have changed every rule possible to enable them to hoover up the maximum of the cash available. That has to change and all chairmen need to stand up to them.

They can't move anywhere, no-one wants them, so they are in a far worse bargaining position than ever if the rest of us stick together, which of course won't happen cos Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen for certain see themselves as more of a partner to them than they do to the smaller teams.This has to be an entire Scottish football proposal as opposed to what's in it for us.