• Billy Davies
    • Eric Black
    • Terry Butcher
    • Maurice Malpas
    • Mark McGhee
    • Jim Gannon
    • Craig Brown
    • Stuart McCall

Went for El Tel....but it was a hard one. All (except from Malpas) brought something to the club. And I'm one of the few people that think had Eric Black been given more time, and we not fall in administration, he would have done a great job for us. Early signs were promising.

But overall, Tel pips it for me for the way he galvinised the side and brought on the youngsters after the horros of administration.

McGhee for me as I feel it was one of my favourite seasons. We played some amazing football and also had a great European trip. Also a few people have said we only played good football for 6 months under McGhee, but I would argue the death of Uncle Phil really affected that team in so many ways and it was a miracle we actually got that 3rd place finish. Pre O'Donnels death I would say its some of the best football I have ever seen at Fir Park and the perfomace on that evening when Phil passed away was by far the best I have seen in all my years following Motherwell. Its just a shame that the next season McGhee had his eye on any job that was going and it ended up being his downfall. I think if he had really stuck with Motherwell and thought about building a dynasty at the club then he could have been a legend in the making, but greed got in the way.

Special mention to Terry Butcher who got some decent performaces out of pretty basic squad, but he made some shocking signings.

No, anyone who hasn't went for McGhee has allowed for the fact the good fitba' stopped after 6 months and his constant touting for other jobs. :rolleyes:

No, anyone who has chosen someone else has let the fact that he was constantly touting for other jobs get in the way of the fact that he gave us our highest league finish in the last 16 years.

I take a new guy every year if we finished 3rd and he touted for other jobs

It's the old best versus favourite debate.

I think if it were a case of which of Boyle's managers were still held in high regard at Motherwell, then it would be a Butcher landslide.

As it is, I can see the reasons why some would vote for McGhee even if I don't agree with their choice. McGhee presided over some atrocious performances (particularly in the cup, St Mirren at Fir Park anyone?). There seemed no Plan B. I seem to remember reading him saying that he only had about 14 players he "trusted". In his first six months, there were no injuries so he never had to come up with a Plan B. And he rarely if ever took responsibility when things went wrong (again St Mirren in the cup, 433, aye right springs to mind).

All the guys on the list had their bad days. Most of them took their share of the blame. Not McGhee or Gannon. When you're manager the buck stops with you. Their failure to realise this rules the two of them out in my book..

McGhee by some distance for me, everything about the start to that season was amazing. Great looking kits, relatively big signings and then that goal on the first day at Love Street. :notworthy:

big tel.

3 semis, a final and two top six finishes.

02/03 - we were lucky to have a club and were always going to finish bottom. at least we had some great highs beating hearts 6-1 and doing the old firm double. the scottish run that season was a belter as well.

03/04 - faddy leaves in august. pearo leaves in january. doesn't matter we get the top six anyway. there was a brilliant feel good factor that season topped off by claret and amber day at tynecastle.

04/05 - we played some cracking football, got the top six and the cis final. the final was a disapointment but we bounced back and got skippy sunday.

05/06 - bottom six but still a pretty good season with all the high scoring games at the start and a cis semi against celtic. it peetered out a bit after that but it was still a decent season.

for me that beats mcghee's one brilliant season hands down.

Aye steelboy sums it up for me. Sadly McGhee didn't do much in the Cups. Out to Rangers and Accies in the League Cup and Dundee and St Mirren in the Scottish Cup. Wee bit of luck here and there could have seen us through (Accies) but still not the best of records.