Worst Signings At Fir Park

Kaven

sneddon kraska jones may

Roddie curcic malcolm nevin

Halliday burns

when you say nevin i hope you mean the wee fannys role as chief exec and no as a player his injury time winner against hearts was quality :P

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was £200,000 and Eck told us he had learned a lot from Klinsmann, must have been how to speak German.

Was Joe McLeod not rated highly? I mind he stayed so far on the wing we thought we was a linesman.

who was that stiker that scored a beaty against St Johnston (?) (3-3 I think, Cooper was playing) and it got chopped off - it was his only goal - Baker ?

Was it not Doctor Who's Tom Baker? But for me no one will ever be worse than big Shanksy. Actually felt sorry for him one mid week game he was getting so much stick he looked like he was about to burst into tears. Was Hoping wee Tommy would take him off to save him any more abuse. At the time the rumour was that McLean was looking at another player & signed Shanks by mistake. Maybe McLean started the rumour as an excuse for buying such shite.

forgot about tommy coyne,he was shit.

Aye that Davie Cooper was pure mince as well.

Roberto martinez?

Martinez wasn't so much shite, I just think he didn't show any of the attributes that had him held in such high regard by the Wigan fans, there was no doubt that he had talent.

There were a few at that time that were all pretty awful...Karl Ready? Eddie Forrest? Steven Cosgrove?

The single worst transfer window I can remember.

For me it's got to be John Hendry, Spurs had signed him from Dundee as a schoolboy about 5 years earlier. He only played one game for Spurs and they loaned him out all over the place, they were on the verge of letting him go when Big Eck went in and offered them £200k. The question that has been puzzling me ever since is, WHY???????

I used to argue constantly with my mate to give him time saying that he'd come good.

Needless to say I never won that argument!

Changed my mind.... Worst of the worst has to be Alec McLeish; awful centre-half for us and seemed to be trying to find even worse players than himself when he became our manager.

For pure nepotism over and above his ineptitude .... John Davies

You could argue some of the players we brought in like Falconer and McSkimming for the money was abysmal, that is if you compare it to now, however it was how things rolled back then, now a fair portion of signing fees goes direct to wages.

We didn't pay anything like as much for Falconer as we did for McSkimming, both I'd argue were mediocre/average. And in defence of Falconer as I said probably both cheaper and provided more on the park. When he did sign he had something of a purple patch which helped us out quite a bit in a sticky spell. Not a great signing but by no means a bad one.

derek townsley was awful !!!!

I can't entirely agree, he was awful. He had a spell where I was convinced he was about the worst player we ever signed. But the lad came onto a game and was pretty decent and was sorry to see him go to hibs for twice the money or whatever he was on here.

He got a lot of stick for being so tall but not being able to head the ball but he had a lot of pace and caused defences a lot of problems when given space to go. I remember a game at Love St. where we had a comfortable win because he could knock the ball past the defenders on the half way line and fly by them.

Haha, Sengewald played in the 2-1 Celtic game didn't he? He looked alright then, but that was more because we just needed a big brick wall to stand and kick folk. When it came to the more subtle parts of our game, he wasn't perhaps what we needed...

The only thing I remember about Okoli was his immense throw-ins - sure they were of a Dave Challinor/Rory Delap ilk. He played in the game against Rangers with Chiba I think. Ah, Said Chiba. What could have been!

Haha, Sengewald played in the 2-1 Celtic game didn't he? He looked alright then, but that was more because we just needed a big brick wall to stand and kick folk. When it came to the more subtle parts of our game, he wasn't perhaps what we needed...

The only thing I remember about Okoli was his immense throw-ins - sure they were of a Dave Challinor/Rory Delap ilk. He played in the game against Rangers with Chiba I think. Ah, Said Chiba. What could have been!

That was the game when a certain Bob Malcolm kicked Chiba's head as he lay on the ground and pretended he hadn't seen him. Of course, some people won't hear a word said against the lovely Mr. Malcolm.

He also played in the game where we beat Hearts 6-1 and he had Mark de Vries in his back pocket the entire game. I think he featured in 3 of our 7 league wins that season.

I know he was on loan but I thought Richard Offiong was honking.

Gary Bollan's was also pretty rank for us.

Changed my mind.... Worst of the worst has to be Alec McLeish; awful centre-half for us and seemed to be trying to find even worse players than himself when he became our manager.

I remeber towards the end of Alec's Aberdeen career we played them at Fir Park. Aberdeen had a bit of a keeper crisis and had to draft in a young untried goalie - Derek Stillie - to make his debut.

We absolutely hammered Aberdeen but Stillie played a blinder saving everything that we fired at the goal.

It was 92 minutes gone, looked like it was going to be one of those highly frustrating nights when you totally dominate but just can't score, when Big Eck back headered a cross high into the air and looped it over the otherwise impervious Stillie into the net. Three points for the 'Well!

Best thing McLeish ever did for us.

There were a few folk like him, that seemed to play one or two games (again, around roughly the same time) then disappear. Gerry Britton & Khaled Kemas spring to mind.

I think Britton was brought in to train with us mainly, and got somewhat chucked in at the deep end for a couple of games much later on (I mean that I think he only actually signed for about a month)

In my time, in terms of what we thought we were getting and what we actually got- I think I'd have to go for Brian Kerr. Signing a Scotland cap, who had played in the Premiership and the Champions League should have been successful. Although he showed glimpses of class, he was on the whole terrible. Other than his four spectacular goals a season, he was always too busy playing hide and seek. Definitely the least worthy wearer of the captain's armband I have seen.

My recollection of that particular game was that Sengewald was rank rotten, gifted Larsson about 3 relatively gilt edged chances but fortunately we rode our luck a bit and he squandered them. He is right up there with the worst players we've signed!