Motherwell Vs Inverness Discussion Thread

David

Whilst he wasn't perfect I don't think the referee had any influence on the game so I think he did OK overall.

So because his mistakes didn't affect the outcome he was in your opinion okay? :doh:

He was fucking honking and trousered a Grand for being utter utter shite at his job. He will influence outcomes of matches during the season with performances like that so he should be demoted to the lesser ranks mow where they only get a few hundred a game for being consistently dreadful at what they are extremely well paid to do.

Was very impressed by all yesterday, not on player had a bad game. Hammell looks a new player with a player like Law in front of him, we finally have a threatening left attack not seen since the Hammell/Pearson/Faddy days, only this time we have players covering when he bombs forward.

Higdon put in a great shift, I expect him to start to find his shooting boots but his strength and the way he holds up play is excellent, one that really stands out was from a corner in the first half, he was at the penalty spot for a good five seconds crowded out but did not give possesion away only to lay it back to Jennings whose shot was just a wee bit late and blocked by a defender, only gripe is he is going to get penalised a lot for his style of play because the refs can't get to grips with the fact that strikers can be big burly and strong (unless it's John Hartson).

Law is really going to be a player for us once he gets the confidence to take on some of the shots when he creates a chance, it was said in our wee group yesterday before the game that our midfield is going to have to chip in with a few goals this year and lo and behold Lasley gets one on day one, and a pearler it was too, more of the same please!

My only gripe, and it is a pretty minor one, is that we had our most success yesterday when we kept things simple and played neat little triangle passes and short give and goes (see Murphy's goal) but too often Hateley was looking to play a dinky pass here and there trying to be cute and it didn't come off, like I said, minor gripe but frustrating none the less.

I'm hoping for big things this year because as a front 4 going forward we look as if we could be as good as we were during McGhee's first year.

The atmosphere yesterday in the East was tremendous thanks to the guys down the front, not too many overly complicated songs and lots of continental style chanting and bouncing about (taking a lesson from their trip to Aalesunds I wonder....?), keep it up because it was entertaining when the action on the pitch dulled down.

Agree he wasn't the best but the Inverness player handling it was about three yards outside the box. To be honest not giving that wasn't the mistake as the guy's hand was low and he was close to where we'd hit it. The error was penalising Law for exactly the same a minute or two before.

Also being completely impartial I think both the Hutch and Jennings deserved their card. Not because they were particularly bad fouls but they stopped them getting in so can't really complain. But again Tokely did exactly the same and he got away with it so can complain about that. Whilst he wasn't perfect I don't think the referee had any influence on the game so I think he did OK overall.

Something my mate noticed was that our three goalscorers were the only three Scots that started for us.

It must have been a different incident you're talking about as the one I meant was when the Caley player jumped and slapped the ball away with both hands at head height in front of the Cooper. May not have been in the box right enough. It's not so much the cards themselves I was complaining about, more the fact that they were not reflective of the way he was handling the match. There was no consistency in what he considered a foul from one minute to the next and identical incidents were being treated differently.

As you say though, the ref's decisions had no bearing on the result thankfully, however I don't think that makes it okay.

Still though, it doesn't detract from a very good performance and a great result.

Rode our luck at times with some of the clear cut chances that Caley missed along with them hitting the woodwork a couple of times. But overall I thought that we were excellent and some of the football that we played was a joy to watch.

Great to see Lasley finally having a go from distance and scoring a real beauty.

Hammel & Law up the left, Hately & Humphrey on the right looking like real threats and excellent combinations, players compliment each other really well

Only worrying part was hearing how many scouts from down south were allegedly up looking at Murphy as he is looking better than ever and he has matured into an excellent player, Caley defenders were shitting themselves every time he got the ball.

Well done Mr McCall and all the boys.

Can't get a better start to the season than that. Brilliant to have the 3 points but it was the performance that has pleased me the most. Also good to get 3 goals and put together some excellent attacking moves when our target striker wasn't exactly too involved in the game. That's not a criticism, once he's at full fitness and had more game time linking up with the rest we should be very dangerous going forward.

Law looks to become some player and just what hammell has needed (although i do get them confused sometimes :ph34r: ) What a strike by Lasley!

Got the free season ticket for my 7 year old cousin. Took her to the toilet and missed Hammell's goal :wallbash: On a brighter note we have a new Well fan! From a family of rangers fans she went home and told them she is going to come to every game and they are buying her a motherwell top for Kilmarnock game :thumbup:

I think (hope) this is going to be a good season! The team looks to have gelled well and McCall is doing something right. Only problem now is that everyone else is realising this too!

• Like 1

excellent way to start the season. It just went final before I had to leave, so had a happy start to the journey to Chicago. ManU didn't play great but it was still impressive to see them in person. Nice goals by Rooney and Nani. Huge crowd, over 60 thousand. how about getting our guys to come to a tour of the states next summer? :)

All three goals are some of the best we have seen at Fir Park for a long time.

The quality of some of our play was some of the best I have seen since the McGhee era.

If we can play like that every game, stay reasonably injury free, keep Murphy and maybe sign a couple of more bodies then we will be challenging for third.

Can't believe the transformation of the team. Under Brown we were a dogged one up front and tight defensive team, which did bring its fair share of success, but under McCall we have slowly but surely turned into a very accomplished pass and move side with a very dangerous attack.

Magic!

Hopefully Hammell will get a few more, cause goals to game ratio of 1 in every 120 games isn't exactly prolific.

I loved the quote on the 'fishal photos section of the website

Hammell scores his first goal in Motherwell colours for 89 months

:lol::drinks:

excellent way to start the season. It just went final before I had to leave, so had a happy start to the journey to Chicago. ManU didn't play great but it was still impressive to see them in person. Nice goals by Rooney and Nani. Huge crowd, over 60 thousand. how about getting our guys to come to a tour of the states next summer? :)

If they take a detour to Toronto then I'll go for that one too :D

Under Brown we were a dogged one up front and tight defensive team, which did bring its fair share of success, but under McCall we have slowly but surely turned into a very accomplished pass and move side with a very dangerous attack.

Magic!

I believe we already had that potential, Brown just chose not to go down that route, play safe and make himself look good. One time he let us off the hook we destroyed St J 4-0, the signs were there but it needed a brave manager to bring it out.

I believe we already had that potential, Brown just chose not to go down that route, play safe and make himself look good. One time he let us off the hook we destroyed St J 4-0, the signs were there but it needed a brave manager to bring it out.

Your probably right, but I suppose some mangers have different styles and Brown has always been a defensive minded manager and Knox of course worked with Walter Smith who also has a very defensive approach.

Not sure Brown did it to make himself look good - its just always been his style. he is doing the exact same at Aberdeen right now.

Your probably right, but I suppose some mangers have different styles and Brown has always been a defensive minded manager and Knox of course worked with Walter Smith who also has a very defensive approach.

Not sure Brown did it to make himself look good - its just always been his style. he is doing the exact same at Aberdeen right now.

Spot on. Brown's style is first and foremost do not lose. McCall's seems to be to (try) entertain the crowd as well as anything else. Saying that, I hope he has learned there are times where you need to set out not to lose (ala Rangers - no more 5+ against please...)