Craggs Retires From International Duty

Steve Diggle

Big man bows out for NI

Northern Ireland defender Stephen Craigan has announced his retirement from international football after winning 54 caps for the country.

The 34-year-old Motherwell player made his debut against Finland in 2003 and captained the team five times.

"It has been a wonderful journey and I have loved every minute playing for my country," said Craigan.

"It's been a privilege playing in front of the Green and White Army, who have been amazing in my time with the team."

He added: "I would like to thank everyone for their support and wish Nigel and the team all the very best in the up and coming Euro 2012 qualifiers."

Craigan made his last Northern Ireland appearance in March in a Euro 2012 qualifier at Windsor Park against Slovenia.

"Northern Ireland is losing a very experienced player and a truly excellent professional," said NI manager Nigel Worthington.

"Stephen has been a great servant for Northern Ireland and a fantastic ambassador for the country.

"It is sad to see a player like Stephen retire but I wish him all the very best in his career which lies ahead."

Fair play to him and all that, but personally I still don't really like it when players "decide" to retire from international football. As long as you're good enough or fit enough, you should be picked and expected to play to the best of your ability. When the manager considers that you're no longer good enough or fit enough, you don't get picked any more, and so ends your international career.

If you don't like that arrangement, then don't become a professional footballer... plenty other folk would like to have your job instead :)

• Like 1

Fair play to him and all that, but personally I still don't really like it when players "decide" to retire from international football. As long as you're good enough or fit enough, you should be picked and expected to play. When the manager considers that you're no longer good enough or fit enough, you don't get picked any more, and so ends your international career.

If you don't like that arrangement, then don't become a professional footballer... plenty other folk would like to have your job instead :)

Can't agree with that atall sorry. Craigan has been a magnificent servant to his country and now he's almost 35 and is in all probability his last season as a professional footballer he's decided to bow out and concentrate on his club football for the remainder of his career. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever as International football is a demanding business especially for a player of his age when he's playing regularly for his club aswell.

As a firm believer in club before country, I'm very glad that Stephen Craigan has chosen to dedicate his final season to us.

Good decision Craggs :cheers:

Fair play to him and all that, but personally I still don't really like it when players "decide" to retire from international football. As long as you're good enough or fit enough, you should be picked and expected to play to the best of your ability. When the manager considers that you're no longer good enough or fit enough, you don't get picked any more, and so ends your international career.

I disagree.

Footballers like other professional sportsmen chose to retire when they are still playing at a high level and therefor are remembered for playing at that level, why keep on playing and tarnish the reputation that you have earned over the previous years?

Also, retiring from international football could be seen as a way of trying to maximise what remains of a club career or simply a choice to spend more time with family.

Well done Stephen, a respectable player and person for both Motherwell and Northern Ireland.

It's pretty obvious to me that Craigan would never let Northern Ireland down, and he's certainly not doing that by retiring. Maybe in his own mind he doesn't want this to be his last season for the 'Well, and he's trying to prolong his career by giving himself a break during the international fixtures. Absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion, and I hope that's what happens.

Footballers like other professional sportsmen chose to retire when they are still playing at a high level and therefor are remembered for playing at that level, why keep on playing and tarnish the reputation that you have earned over the previous years?

Because as professionals, it's their job. What other profession lets you retire from just the bits of your job that you don't fancy doing any more? If your boss asks you to do something, you either do it, or you come to some sort of compromise.

Now to be fair, I'm sure in a lot of cases, the player and the manager actually have had that "compromise" chat, and agreed that the player might as well retire because he's not likely to be picked much any more anyway. So I suppose my beef is that I'd rather they just came out and said that when that's what's happened, rather than painting it as if it was all the player's idea and how gutted the manager is that he's retiring.

I see no need to 'retire' from International football, but as I don't know much to the background of the decision, I can't make an informed comment

this is in no way a criticism of Craggs, he's got a passion for playing football and seemed to love playing for his country so I'm pretty sure if he was called upon he'd step up to the plate and play.

only 8 years but 54 caps! and it should have been at least a couple more bar a brain fart from the manager :doh:

He'll enjoy the extra free time, I wonder if he'll be with the family or working, a hard decision when preparing a new career.

Although I still think he's got a good few years playing time in him if he wants it more than the studio work

On the other hand, you could say he's doing his country a turn by letting a younger player get his chance. Think it is a bit off to have a pop at him for retiring - this seems due to age rather than the Scotland thing where our pansies...er, 'players'....decide to take the huff.

*cough* Kris Boyd *cough*

• Like 1

only 8 years but 54 caps! and it should have been at least a couple more bar a brain fart from the manager :doh:

A brain fart that stopped one of "ours" from playing in the European Championships too.

He'll enjoy the extra free time, I wonder if he'll be with the family or working, a hard decision when preparing a new career.

Although I still think he's got a good few years playing time in him if he wants it more than the studio work

Wouldn't be shocked to see him doing BBC Ulster and/or SkySports for Northern Ireland games. Not sure how pundit contracts work at that level.

With this retirement I could see him maybe seeing out another year, depending how he and McCall see the defensive position at the club, if not wouldn't rule out a return to Thistle as those lack of 5-6 games plus travelling a season can give you an "extra life".

Some nice posts on the matter on "Our Wee Country" (need to register to see them). Discussing how Craigan was Mr Norn Iron, and how they respect him and wish he could carry on, and how they will never lose the legendary status. Also that he was only one of not many Senior Players that could be arsed travelling to Chile.

The Motherwell captain Stephen Craigan has announced his decision to bring his international career with Northern Ireland to an end. He told BBC Sport's Annie McGuire why...

"To be honest I'm giving up international football with a heavy heart.

It's harder to recover between games and I thought for the benefit of Motherwell and my club career I had to give myself more of a chance.

This definitely isn't about my career winding down - in fact it is the opposite.

The reason for coming away is to try and extend my playing career as much as I can.

I've been vigilant with regards to looking after myself. I've spent loads of money over the years on diets and supplements and sprint coaches and sport psychologists.

I've gone to all extremes to try and extend my career and this is just another way of trying to do it. It hasn't cost me financially this time, but it has cost me in terms of playing for my country.

Until you stand there and hear your national anthem and see your family you can't explain what it means.

I've achieved far more than I ever thought I would. When you do get a little bit down or things get on top of you it's nice to go and look at some jerseys that you've collected over the years.

I'm lucky enough to have them from Andreas Pirlo, Dmitar Berbatov, Michael Owen, Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

For me to be on the same pitch as these guys, I've punched above my weight but I've enjoyed that challenge.

People have been asking me when I've been going to retire since I turned 30.

I think we have a habit of ruling people out in football. David Weir has broken that barrier by playing on past the age of 40.

We need more players who play beyond their mid thirties to lift that stigma that comes once you reach a certain age.

The hardest thing I've had to do was to tell my mum and dad that I was giving up. I texted my brothers. I didnt' have the heart to phone them because I know how much they enjoyed going along and supporting me and the team.

That was the hard part for me. But everything was a high for me playing for Northern Ireland. I've been lucky, but I've worked hard for it.

But I haven't just dedicated myself to football for my country, I've dedicated myself to football in general, and for the last 7 or 8 years that's been for Motherwell.

We've got a tough season ahead of us and have an obligation as players to respect the game and respect the clubs that we play for so we'll be doing our best to have a good season. Anything you get in the SPL you have to work hard for and we're prepared to do that."

Stephen Craigan was speaking to BBC Scotland's Annie McGuire

Certainly doesn't seem like he intends on retiring any time soon..

Because as professionals, it's their job. What other profession lets you retire from just the bits of your job that you don't fancy doing any more? If your boss asks you to do something, you either do it, or you come to some sort of compromise.

playing for your country isn't a job.

craggs played 55 games last season, he's right to cut back.

I thought he might retire from the club football due to getting older and his media career taking off.

I glad he's still playing for the Well and each season he does is a bonus

as for his choice to retire for international duty, fair play too him

I am delighted that he gave all he could to his country, and his club, over the years that he could.

He has clearly retired because he feels that he would be spreading himself too thinly over three fronts (club, country, family) at the age of 35.

Full respect to the man for the decision, and hopefully he does us another excellent turn, whether first choice, or third choice, with increased coaching responsibility, this year.