Smith And Mchugh

DEWELL

With all the transfer speculation surrounding Jamie Murphy i was wondering if he did go can these 2 boys do a job for us. Personally think McHugh what i've seen could do well. Smith who came on for 10 mins on saturday looks big and strong but haven't seen enough of him to know how he'll do. I dont watch the under 19's so how good are these boys? I know McCall has asked some of our younger players to step up to the plate this season i hope these 2 can break through would really help ease the inevitable pain of losing Murphy which i hope doesn't happen this season. Thoughts please folks?

Mchugh seems to me like a Scott Mcdonald type of player so if he could perform half as good in his breakthrough season, whether it be the current or next, then I think he'll more than do the job.

Not really seen anything of Smith apart from his 20 minutes or so against breidablik so can't really comment. But he's tall, strong so he could be a successful poacher.

i have high hopes for smith think we should be playing him right now until higdon gets fit because i feels he's a bigger threat imo

I'd disagree. Higdon may not have been 100% fit on Saturday, but it was clear that he has positional awareness that Smith doesn't have yet. Yet being the key word. Smith could do worse than watch Higdon's movement off the ball and the way he plays with his back to goal.

I would agree that physically he seems to have all the tools though..

Smith and Mchugh are young and i hate being harsh on young players but i dont see either of them winning a permanent place in the first team any time soon!! If we lose Murphy we're struggling!! Dont think many of you would agree but i'd be back down to Blackburn in a shot to get Blackman!! He didnt do well at Aberdeen ok, but who has in the past 20yrs? He was outstanding with us and he still has another 2 yr contract left at Blackburn with slim hope of being a first team player!! He'd guarantee 15 goals for us and would be a good foil for the immobile Higdon!!

But lets hope Murphy stays for the season as i think him and Law will be great to watch !!

Smith and Mchugh are young and i hate being harsh on young players but i dont see either of them winning a permanent place in the first team any time soon!! If we lose Murphy we're struggling!!

Like we were when we lost McFadden, when we lost Pearson, when we lost McDonald.

If Murphy leaves, I fully expect between them McHugh and Smith to chip in enough to get us through the season at least.

Dont think many of you would agree but i'd be back down to Blackburn in a shot to get Blackman!! He didnt do well at Aberdeen ok, but who has in the past 20yrs? He was outstanding with us and he still has another 2 yr contract left at Blackburn with slim hope of being a first team player!! He'd guarantee 15 goals for us and would be a good foil for the immobile Higdon!!

I'm sure I heard somewhere that Blackburn were not loaning him north of the border this season. Anyway, I don't think he would guarantee fifteen goals. Being a young player, he could just have hit a purple patch with us, as he was far from prolific at Aberdeen. Like I've said with various other players, he wouldn't be the worst signing ever but the potential for 15 goals? Yes. The Guarantee? No. Also, referring to Higdon as "the immobile Higdon" is a bit harsh, on the evidence of one competitive game in which McCall revealed he was carrying a knock for? A bit fickle.

Like we were when we lost McFadden, when we lost Pearson, when we lost McDonald.

If Murphy leaves, I fully expect between them McHugh and Smith to chip in enough to get us through the season at least.

I understand where you coming from and agree mostly, but when the above mentioned players left we didn't have such a threadbare squad. For example, we replaced McDonald with Porter, who had a resurgent Clarkson and McCormack beside them. The problem with Murphy leaving is you are asking players to step up from novice to first team instantly. McHugh and Gary Smith have two SPL starts between them. There would be no way of nurturing them into a first team berth, the way we did with Murphy.

Our current squad minus Murphy and Higdon scored eight SPL goals last season. If Murphy leaves Higdon plus eight is twenty three. I think it's a tall task to ask either or both of them to make up the rest of the goals. I would like to see both given a proper chance this season, but at the same time I would turn down another striker regardless of Murphy staying or going.