Rangers (H) Sunday 21st August

Andy_P

I'm not saying we lie down to them, clearly, but I can see where ra Shellic's paranoia comes from in terms of Well v Rangers. Why do we never combat them properly, yet we always run the green scum into the ground for 90 mins?

'Cause most of our recent managers and players support Rangers maybe. :ph34r:

I'm not saying we lie down to them, clearly, but I can see where ra Shellic's paranoia comes from in terms of Well v Rangers. Why do we never combat them properly, yet we always run the green scum into the ground for 90 mins?

You mean like the oh so close 4-0 tanking at Celtic Park a the tale end of last season or the nailbiting 3-0 at Hampden?

Denied that penalty claim, the goal disallowed and Ortiz should've been sent off IMO. Apart from that it was our fault out there.

McCall fucked the tactics, Forbes should never have been dropped and Humphrey was better than last week but still ineffective. Left side of the park were good (Hammell, Jennings and Law) but the other side were dreadful and Rangers have got the players that can make the most of that.

Poor tactics, too many poor performances and a poor result.

Still, 2nd place and I hope we bounce back and dismantle Clyde and Dunfermline

You can argue the points for or against this lad's arrest until you are blue (no pun intended) in the face......but I can't say I agree with this picture getting put up on the SNS website. Bit of a poor show imo.

True that Finlay.

As a few have said all along - it won't be OF fans being huckled out week in week out - thats too difficult.

A young Motherwell fan is ejected from the ground after allegedly aiming an offensive term towards the Rangers fans

Those poor innocent Rangers fans eh?

So once again we go into a game against Rangers on the back of some good results which have come form the team playing a certain way with players in certain positions, then the manager changes the shape and the personnel which results in another easy victory for Rangers.

This gets on my tits more than the defeat, this was as poor a Rangers team as I've seen in a long time.

Don't even get me started on the chunts sitting in the away end who would otherwise be in the home end and the feckers pretending to be 'well fans in the East Stand wallbash.gif

• Like 1

Perhaps the main problem is the lack of experienced options on the bench, which is something we sorely need to address. Mind you, would it have hurt to throw on Lawless and McHugh with fifteen minutes to go? These lads must be wondering if McCall rates them. I expect to see a few of them feature at Clyde on Wednesday though.

As manager McCall has the tools to addreess this on two fronts,

He has a couple of cards still to play in the transfer market.

And he can also bring the young guys into the picture via sub appearances and a wee bit of squad rotation here and there. it doesn't have to be on a massive scale - a wee starting slot here nad there.

They'll remain inexperienced until someone starts giving them game time. It's been that way here for years - managers need to take that leap.

A very poor performance and an abject lesson on how not to play Rangers. Stuart McCall got his tactics wrong and Michale Higdon should not have been playing up on his own today. Very few passmarks in my book with the exception of Michael Higdon who worked hos socks off with absolutely no support. Jamie Murphy was playing all over the place and the scouts watching him will know that he can be used far more effectively than we're using him.

Chris Humphrey didn't play well but in fairness he received rotten service from Lasley, Jennings and Hately. Once again they failed to play the quick ball. On one occasion KL dallied and dithered and eventually passed to him with 4 blue jerseys surrounding him. What was Chris meant to do?

The defence (in particular the full backs) was awful with big Hutch being the least culpable.

Rangers won because they worked harder to close us down, because they put more effort and aggression in and because they showed self belief. Where oh where were our senior players today? They let the younger lads down by giving them no direction at all.

Still we are sitting second and have had a good start. We won' t play as badly again for some time I hope.

• Like 1

As for the alleged Jamie Murphy handball

Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be

careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own

penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred

(see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by

a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball,

provided it is in play.

I did not see anything deliberate about the ball bouncing up and hitting his elbow dash2.gif

Gutless and effortless second 45 today. First half we were by far and away the better team, no doubt the second just on half time was a back breaker but how the likes of Humphrey get a game week after week baffles me. He was terrible at Killie, worse last week and today was akin to a man down. He needs dropped and given either the rest he needs to get over his mystery injury or time to sort out his act as he just now is a waste of a jersey. Sad thing is we have no one to challenge his place in the team.

Nothing much more to add other than it was the same old same old against them.

A very poor performance and an abject lesson on how not to play Rangers. Stuart McCall got his tactics wrong and Michale Higdon should not have been playing up on his own today. Very few passmarks in my book with the exception of Michael Higdon who worked hos socks off with absolutely no support. Jamie Murphy was playing all over the place and the scouts watching him will know that he can be used far more effectively than we're using him.

Chris Humphrey didn't play well but in fairness he received rotten service from Lasley, Jennings and Hately. Once again they failed to play the quick ball. On one occasion KL dallied and dithered and eventually passed to him with 4 blue jerseys surrounding him. What was Chris meant to do?

The defence (in particular the full backs) was awful with big Hutch being the least culpable.

Rangers won because they worked harder to close us down, because they put more effort and aggression in and because they showed self belief. Where oh where were our senior players today? They let the younger lads down by giving them no direction at all.

Still we are sitting second and have had a good start. We won' t play as badly again for some time I hope.

Harsh but maybe a lot of truth in there Dave, maybe all cannot be blamed on individuals

re- the defence being awful, I actually thought Hammell and Hately had good games (so do many others in the MOTM thread) and Craggs and Hutch had hell of a lot to deal with in the match, but 3 goals against I'd tend to agree that the defence must have been awful but I'd go with how we were setup and asked to play over the individuals being at fault

I've now watched the match twice and on those viewing as well as last week I think we are starting to see players in the team, use Humphrey as a last option, especially as the game wore on, hence the frustration of many, the boys got heart and desire to do well but something else is missing at present, Ironically the one good cross I remember him making led directly to the 3rd goal

midfield (jennings) too many times were simply by-passed by Rangers due to the gaping spaces left around and behind them due to the advancing fullbacks and Law/Lasley pushing up at the same time

Forwards as you described

overall the management team need to instill a desire and passion as well as the tactics to win or draw!, and up to during and even after the game or any others against them Mr McCall and co. don't seem to believe we should ever do it

Thought their was a really depressing lack of belief in the 2nd half. Thats probably the most constructive way to convey my thoughts on the playing front.

I think we, like so many times before blew it tactically an from a management side of things.

I have no idea how or where Murphy was asked to play today. Absolutely stumped.

Also, I'd go back to the point I made through the week - if we bring someone into the team in previous weeks and that player has played well then I think in football terms its good practice to accommodate that player in the next game.

That, and not using any substitutes when there are some very poor performances on show sends a wrong message to both the unused subs and the players who aren't performing. This side of McCall's managerial style will end up breaking the confidence of fringe players and tells players who aren't performing not to worry as their position is bullet proof.

We should have been all over them like a rash today. Instead we were unstructured, gung-ho and overall 'daft boyish'. Made a shite team look good.

Supporters are singling one or two of the usual suspects for criticism. I witnessed one or two of the golden boys having absolute shockers.

Time to learn and move on.

For fuck sake Stuart, learn from yet another naive display against Rangers.

I can't believe McCall didn't bring on a couple of players today, even 10-minutes from the end. Forbes especially.

The younger players aren't going to gain any experience from sitting on the bench.

re- the defence being awful, I actually thought Hammell and Hately had good games (so do many others in the MOTM thread) and Craggs and Hutch had hell of a lot to deal with in the match, but 3 goals against I'd tend to agree that the defence must have been awful but I'd go with how we were setup and asked to play over the individuals being at fault

Hammell and Hately were ok going forward but defensively were all over the place. Quite a few in the POD Stand were shouting for SM to organise them better - perhaps more a reflection of our dodgy tactics than individual performances. Our centre backs struggled to cope and Crags typified a poor day by constantly back peddling and backing off Naismith to such an extent that he chanced his luck by letting fly at goal and skimming the crossbar - totally avoidable in my view.

Thought that most of the boys played ok today and tried hard tbh, but tactics theirs and especially our fucked us up.

It was way too easy for Rangers, when we have the ball they let us pass it about a bit without gaining any real territory, press us then we inevitably give the ball away or they win it and with the real pace that they have up front their counter attacks cut us in two time and time again. It also helps that you have strikers that are able to put the ball away.

Steve Davis bosses every game against us, really good player but is given way too much space, had Law in his back pocket for most of the game.

Was really optimistic about today, will I never fucking learn.

Diabolical today. Really disappointed about how MCCall sent out the team. We have not learned one thing from previous humpings to this mob. Every time we lost the ball we looked like we might concede a goal. In reality they could easily have had five or six today.

As for his email today. A fucking joke.

Also Lasley was utter pish and once again bottled it against his beloved Rangers. He should have been hooked for Forbes before the game kicked off.

I say it again when we have a manager that call Rangers 'we' on the radio then we have a problem. That's what makes his email hard to stomach. Its almost like 'hey dont worry guys we lost to the majestic rangers but that's alright as they are a bigger and better club than us' fucking bollocks! Rangers were there for the taking, but once again we put in a gutless and tactically suicidal performance against them.

• Like 1

I can't believe some people are trying to insinuate that McCall and some of our players weren't trying to win today. Fucking hell get a grip, some of you c***s are no better than Celtic fans.

Suppose the previous 9 years of defeats to Rangers were McCall's fault?

Or were Malpas, Gannon, McGhee & Brown all in on it too?

Get a fucking grip.

• Like 4