David Kelly

swami

Just watched the SPL Classic match on the BBC site. 2-2 v Rangers in 2001.

Now, I was at this game, I was 21 at the time so not a kid where all memory of the team has been lost in the mists of time. It must have been at the time when Eric Black was the manager, McFadden was in the team, Brown in goals, Delemeaux at the back, I can remember pretty much every player in the squad.

But David Kelly? Who the fuck is this? I genuinely cannot remember this name ever appearing in connection with Motherwell. Have I cracked up? Is this some sort of elaborate hoax being played on me by the BBC to make me believe that my mind has snapped?

I think I need a lie down.

He was an Irish International who played around 20-25 games for us in 2001-2002 season. We got him from either Sheff Utd or Tranmere from memory and then he had a bust up with Eric Black during a cup game with Dunfermline(think it was the game the lad got onto the roof of their East Stand and we got beat) and don't think he ever played again for us.

He's was Billy Davies' assistant manager at Notts Forest up until last season.

He was an RoI international.

I remember him, think he was most remembered for being invloved in a dressing room bust up. Sure I saw him score at rugby park??

6 goals in 19 appearances according to wikipedia.

Anyone remember who the bust up was with? I'm thinking Spencer or Davies??

Just watched the SPL Classic match on the BBC site. 2-2 v Rangers in 2001.

Now, I was at this game, I was 21 at the time so not a kid where all memory of the team has been lost in the mists of time. It must have been at the time when Eric Black was the manager, McFadden was in the team, Brown in goals, Delemeaux at the back, I can remember pretty much every player in the squad.

But David Kelly? Who the fuck is this? I genuinely cannot remember this name ever appearing in connection with Motherwell. Have I cracked up? Is this some sort of elaborate hoax being played on me by the BBC to make me believe that my mind has snapped?

I think I need a lie down.

Everything you could want to know about David Kelly!

Motherwell debut - Jul 28 2001 (A) Dunfermline

Final appearance - Jan 05 2002 (A) Dunfermline

League - 19+0 (6)

Scottish Cup - 1+0 (0)

League Cup - 1+0 (1)

League Goals - Jul 28 v Dunfermline (A), Aug 18 v Aberdeen (A), Sep 8 v Hibernian (H), Sep 22 v Hearts (H), Oct 27 v Dundee Utd (A), Dec 15 v Rangers (H)

Cup Goals - 25th Sep v Airdrieonians (A)

TOTAL APPEARANCES: 21+0 (7)

An erm, victim of cost cutting measures later that year?

David Kelly was pretty decent for us. Apparently he twatted Eric Black on the beak aswell.

Two things I remember (a bit hazily, possibly incorrectly) is a great dummy by him for Greg Strong to score into one of the Old Firm at Fir Park (can't mind which one, they're both the same to me) and I think it was him who played a part in a tremendously worked freekick at Pittodrie with Andy Dow scoring.

As I said, those memories may be wrong but I definitely remember the guy. I also remember Keef from the boards being moist when he signed as he was a bit of a hero at Tranmere apparently.

He was a decent player while he was here, got a few goals although they were mainly penalties but you could see he had a bit of class about him even though he was well into his thirties by that point.

On a side note, watching the highlights of that game v.Rangers from 2001, who says we never get any decisions against 'The Old Firm'? If that was a handball then Andy Roddie was a prolific goalscorer! :laugh:

i liked him, he had a bit of the coyne about him. a decent player even if he was as slow as week in the jail. i also remember some kanu style doubts flying around about his true age. for some reason i'm also thinking he was combining playing for the well with owning golf course in england but that might be nonsense.

that cup tie at dunfermline was a grim, grim day.

Two things I remember (a bit hazily, possibly incorrectly) is a great dummy by him for Greg Strong to score into one of the Old Firm at Fir Park (can't mind which one, they're both the same to me) and I think it was him who played a part in a tremendously worked freekick at Pittodrie with Andy Dow scoring.

Funnily enough, that was the first David Kelly related memory that popped into my head when I clocked this thread!

As I said, those memories may be wrong but I definitely remember the guy. I also remember Keef from the boards being moist when he signed as he was a bit of a hero at Tranmere apparently.

My recollection of said free kick (and given we'd been plastered in Aberdeen the night before, I could be wrong) was the Dow chipped it over the defensive wall and Kelly spun and volleyed it into the net from about 12 yards. But I was going into alcohol withdrawals round about that time, so could be wrong. I have a strange recollection that we may have lost that game 5-2. But again, my memory of that day is not particularly reliable...

I remember that 2-2 Rangers game as if is was yesterday. What a goal by Lasley. I also remember all the goals listed that David Kelly scored. I remember the dummy Kelly did for Greg Strong to score against Celtic (we lost 2-1) and how we were denied a penaly only for Maloney to trip over a blade of grass and win one in the dying minutes. I remember a mental melee with Dundee Utd right in front of the East Stand. I remember we were largely pish that season.

There's got be a job where I can utilise this useless knowledge I retain about Motherwell.

i liked him, he had a bit of the coyne about him. a decent player even if he was as slow as week in the jail. i also remember some kanu style doubts flying around about his true age. for some reason i'm also thinking he was combining playing for the well with owning golf course in england but that might be nonsense.

that cup tie at dunfermline was a grim, grim day.

For some reason, I associate David Kelly with that day. Having said that, I also associate Derek Adams with that day as he was especially shite :blink:

Sorry just read Wee grafters post about the cup tie and Kelly :blush:

My recollection of said free kick (and given we'd been plastered in Aberdeen the night before, I could be wrong) was the Dow chipped it over the defensive wall and Kelly spun and volleyed it into the net from about 12 yards. But I was going into alcohol withdrawals round about that time, so could be wrong. I have a strange recollection that we may have lost that game 5-2. But again, my memory of that day is not particularly reliable...

Not 4-2 big chap?