Motherwell v Aberdeen Discussion Thread

postiejim

This one has got 'draw' written all over it for me. Not really good enough for either team but not a disaster either.

A third straight defeat at home would be very hard to take especially with only the trip to Tannadice left before the next two week international break.

1-1 (Higdon).

Murphy & Jennings OUT. Both been piss poor recently and could do with a seat on the bench.

Forbes and McHugh IN. Both get unfair stick but both deserve their chance. Forbes had a great game against St.Mirren and has barely had a kick of the ball since. He couldn't be any worse than Jenno has over the last two games.

As I said in the match thread McHugh looked good tonight and should have had the winner. Murphy looks low on confidence and needs a spot on the bench. I've watched McHugh when he plays and he does get into a number of good positions and I feel he could work well of Higdon. I feel he would have got on a few of these crosses that we were flashing across the goal.

Page could get game but who for? Clancy was the better of the defensive partnership as Craigan was partly to blame for the first and responsible for the second. Will McCall drop him, doubt it. Maybe Daley deserves a start but the Humph played well until he got injured so I would leave him in if fit.

Aberdeen lost 3 to a part time team so there will be goals in this game for us and I'm confident we will score. My biggest worry is if we can keep them out which after tonight looks unlikely.

McCall you said they had a chance to make amends... well a number of them did redeem themselves. However the above mentioned were poor again and deserved to be dropped. Does McCall have the balls to make changes? I think we are about to find out a lot about McCall on Saturday.

If we play like we did tonight and create the number of openings I feel we can win but we MUST tighten it up at the back . How good would it be to get that auld git the boot on Saturday.

Motherwell 3-1 Aberdeen

• Like 1

If we play like that tonite we will beat Aberdeen. We will probably concede at least 1 goal, but if we had a poacher like jeffers we could have had a barrowload. Which is why it may be worth considering McHugh for Murphy.

If we have the right attitude from the off, then I hope Aberdeen will be quite fragile and low on confidence after tonite's result. Sure it could be the other way around and they bust a gut more so now, but I still feel if we are on our game we will have enough come Saturday.

Some change at the back required. Page in for Clancy with the latter replacing Hammell. I'd sacrifice a little offensive capability on the left side for more solid defending and more height.

In midfield I'd partner Lasley with Law in the middle and move Murphy to wide left. On the right Humphrey if fit or if not then Daley.

Up front it has to be Higdon and McHugh.

That formation would see us stiffen the defence, give us more height and provide better support for Higdon both alongside and from the central midfield.

I think I have more chance of becoming manager than there is of McCall actually playing this line up but I would go like this

................Randolph.................

Clancy....Craigan........Page.....Hammell

.................Hateley.................

..........Forbes.........Lasley..........

Daley.............................Murphy.

.................Higdon..................

And I know that is tough on Nicky Law but I think in terms of balancing the team up sometimes a good player has to sit out.

• Like 1

I think I have more chance of becoming manager than there is of McCall actually playing this line up but I would go like this

And I know that is tough on Nicky Law but I think in terms of balancing the team up sometimes a good player has to sit out.

Interesting line up Ya Bezzer

1. Does Murphy merit a start spot based on performances over the last 4 weeks?
  2. Could Daley play wide left and leave Murphy on the bench?
  3. Have you dropped Humphrey because he was injured or based on last nights performance?
  4. Can Forbes be effective in the creative spot you have dropped Law for?

I must admit that Jennoe has not been himself for a while now but some might argue that most of the midfield have been out of sorts of late. I do like Higdon not only because he is the only real Striker we have but he puts in a good shift every game.

without having to type out another full team i will highlight the players i believe merit there start spots.

Interesting line up Ya Bezzer

1. Does Murphy merit a start spot based on performances over the last 4 weeks?
  2. Could Daley play wide left and leave Murphy on the bench?
  3. Have you dropped Humphrey because he was injured or based on last nights performance?
  4. Can Forbes be effective in the creative spot you have dropped Law for?

I must admit that Jennoe has not been himself for a while now but some might argue that most of the midfield have been out of sorts of late. I do like Higdon not only because he is the only real Striker we have but he puts in a good shift every game.

without having to type out another full team i will highlight the players i believe merit there start spots.

It's for balance. I think we really need someone between the defence and the midfield two. When we played Kilmarnock earlier in the season Mani Pascali played that position perfectly and shut us down for most of the match, I think we only had two real chances. Hateley played that position well under Gannon and again I think Forbes played his best stuff under Gannon and I think that set up really suits him. I'd drop Humphrey because based on last night Daley is just as good going forward and a lot better tracking back.

I'd also move Craigan back to right centre half where I think he is much more comfortable and put in Johnny Page at left. Page played there against Clyde and while it was against lower league opposition he looked fairly assured there.

swap law (our best creative player) with Forbes, and Murphy with Humphrey (tho he appears injured) and that aint that bad for a 451

Ideally would like us to play a 442 with daley and humph on wings, but reckon we will need to match up with the dons 451

• Like 1

It's for balance. I think we really need someone between the defence and the midfield two. When we played Kilmarnock earlier in the season Mani Pascali played that position perfectly and shut us down for most of the match, I think we only had two real chances. Hateley played that position well under Gannon and again I think Forbes played his best stuff under Gannon and I think that set up really suits him. I'd drop Humphrey because based on last night Daley is just as good going forward and a lot better tracking back.

Why cant both Humphrey and Daley play ? and where does Murphy come into play as he is clearly not fireing on all cylinders lately! or is that just me that sees that, i know every game throws a different perspective for each individual but is he playing well and meriting a start spot?

Brown on Saturday will be preparing his team to face the pace of Humphrey down the right and he will be prepared to double up on him at every opportunity, this will play into our hands as Daley will be bombing down the left with as much if not more pace that Humphrey, this will create acres of space through the middle or gaps all over the place, these can be utilised by the passing of Law/Forbes, its an exciting prospect dont you think, i can agree that Forbes might merit at least a chance to do a job in the middle, but Murphy has done nothing so having Murphy on the bench should not really effect our attacking options, Humphrey does track back but there will be times where he will need to breath, as i dont know about you but im sure when he puts the after burners on it must effect his ability to track back at the same speed.

are people watching the same games as me?

since clancy came in we have conceded 2,4,3 and 2 and he has looked an utter donkey every time any striker has run straight at him. there were points last night when o'connor made him look a school boy and had him running the wrong way.

if we play craggs and clancy in the centre we will lose at least 2 goals every time. they're both far too slow.

Why cant both Humphrey and Daley play ? and where does Murphy come into play as he is clearly not fireing on all cylinders lately! or is that just me that sees that, i know every game throws a different perspective for each individual but is he playing well and meriting a start spot?

He didn't play a blinder but I don't think Murphy was that bad last night. I think people are judging Murphy as a striker when in recent games he's been playing a different role but I accept he's not been at his best.

However, for me, he is still one of our most naturally gifted players and one of the few players in the side that has a goal in him.

For that reason I'd persevere with him because it's goals that win games. Take the Hearts game, Murphy wasn't at his best but he scored the goal that won it and I think he can do the same against Aberdeen, or anyone else for that matter.

are people watching the same games as me?

since clancy came in we have conceded 2,4,3 and 2 and he has looked an utter donkey every time any striker has run straight at. there were points last night when o'connor made him look a school boy and had him running the wrong way.

if we play craggs and clancy in the centre we will lose at least 2 goals every time. they're both far too slow.

I know what your saying Steelboy but options at the back our even more limited than the attacking ones! Clancy is not great but the manager brought him in so that pretty much sets his place in stone! In all honesty we need at least 3 new defenders under 24 years of age, but that wont happen unless we bring Gannon back....

Randolph

Hateley Craggs Clancy Hammy

Hump Forbes Lasley Law

Higdon McHugh

I'd be reasonably happy with that team although I really think Page deserves his chance, defence has been looking shakey recently to say the least and maybe Page is the man to sure it up a bit.

We all know that Stuart McCall knows his strongest 11 and likes to stick to it but although we dont have the biggest squad there are backup players who I think could make a difference to the team and if they keep getting little/no game time when there are injury's and players out of sorts I think it is detrimental to the club and the development of these players.

I know what your saying Steelboy but options at the back our even more limited than the attacking ones! Clancy is not great but the manager brought him in so that pretty much sets his place in stone! In all honesty we need at least 3 new defenders under 24 years of age, but that wont happen unless we bring Gannon back....

if hutchinson or saunders were as reliable as reynolds (or even craigan) we'd fine. the defence was fine until clancy came in, he is pish. page deserves a chance to see if he is better. straight away he adds pace and shifts craigan onto his stronger right side.

hammell, hateley and craigan aren't the problem. we've been rock solid with the 3 of them for the best part of two years now. the issue is the imposter playing beside them.

we put far too much faith in two guys who are made of glass.

if hutchinson or saunders were as reliable as reynolds (or even craigan) we'd fine. the defence was fine until clancy came in, he is pish. page deserves a chance to see if he is better. straight away he adds pace and shifts craigan onto his stronger right side.

hammell, hateley and craigan aren't the problem. we've been rock solid with the 3 of them for the best part of two years now. the issue is the imposter playing beside them.

we put far too much faith in two guys who are made of glass.

This.

id go for this

---------------------------randy-------------------------

hately------------page---------craggs--------hammell

hump------------lasley----------law--------------murphy

--------------higdon--------------mchugh--------------

as much as i love jenno he deserves to be dropped and clancy just ain't a centre back so page deserves his chance as does mchugh as we looked a lot more balanced when he came on last night.

i thought humphrey was good last night so i'd stick with him as well as murphy for now

• Like 1