Jenno Betting Irregularities

Kris-A-Goalda

It's a hard one to work out, the word arrested is being used I don't think he will have been arrested, I think he will have been detained which is a huge difference, I think he may be interviewed in relation to the alleged crime and may be released, the worry is there have been others also detained which may show there is some sort of eveidence ie phone records linking the suspects, I really hope this is just an interview to end the whole allegation

If the investigation is being run by Merseyside Police, he will have been arrested and may well be taken down south to be interviewed if the offence is serious enough. And from experience, if it's taken a year to get to this point then they'll have something to put to him; it won't be a fishing exercise. And unlike some on here, I don't think it's a load of pish...

It's a hard one to work out, the word arrested is being used I don't think he will have been arrested, I think he will have been detained which is a huge difference, I think he may be interviewed in relation to the alleged crime and may be released, the worry is there have been others also detained which may show there is some sort of eveidence ie phone records linking the suspects, I really hope this is just an interview to end the whole allegation

This. Don't think it will be a straight arrest. More likely a detention which means they hold him for up to 12 hrs for interview. Then either arrest or release.

Unless of course it is an English case then fuck knows as there laws are a lot different. They can arrest him then de-arrest after interview. But can hold him for longer. You can almost guarantee that the ref for the Hibs game will be that rat O'Reilly.....

first reaction was that it was a load of pish purely remembering that game and the ref was a fucking disgrace should of been shot at point blank range , but now hearing 9 other people have been arrested so the police have put alot a thought into it by the looks of things DOES NOT LOOK GOOD!!!!

I find it a bit strange that 9 other people have been arrested. Surely if Jennings was going to get involved in a potentially career threatening scam he'd keep it between him and as few people as possible?

In my opinion it looked like a ridiculous sending off at the time and Jenno looked extremely p'd off with it. I'm not going to change my views on it until I hear that there is evidence to the contrary.

However, it'll be interesting to see the club statement on it. 100% backing or carefully chosen words?

The fact he was never cleared of any wrongdoing always seemed a bit suspcious. It was risky handing him a new contract in these circumstances and maybe the reason no other team wanted to touch him. Got to question the club, i don't know if they would of been aware of an ongoing investigation but by not being cleared it left a cloud over his head.

The lengths the authorities will go to, to unsettle a pesky team like Motherwell splitting the Old Firm.... tsk :rolleyes:

In all seriousness I endorse Lobey Dosser's view that we as a club should give him whatever backing is appropriate until such times as he's been proven guilty if charges are brought.

Anybody got any footage of the incident?

From memory, it was the most innocuous red card I reckon I have ever seen. Surely if he was going to try and get himself sent off near the tail end of the game he would haven take a lunge at someone or get sent off for some form of violence.....if there was money riding on it he has taken a big risk in terms of how he went about it ie grabbing the referees arm after he made a decision, either that or he has been clever about it and realised that the ref was a prick and wouldnt take kindly to being 'man handled'.

It doesn't look good, but Jenno is innocent until proven guilty. In the meantime unless he is suspended by the club pending the investigations into his arrest, should get the same amount of support from our fans on the pitch as the other players if this hasn't blown over by the Hibs game.

Anybody got any footage of the incident?

From memory, it was the most innocuous red card I reckon I have ever seen. Surely if he was going to try and get himself sent off near the tail end of the game he would haven take a lunge at someone or get sent off for some form of violence.....if there was money riding on it he has taken a big risk in terms of how he went about it ie grabbing the referees arm after he made a decision, either that or he has been clever about it and realised that the ref was a prick and wouldnt take kindly to being 'man handled'.

far too many assuming that it 'the incident' is the basis for the arrest

quite possible the incident just raised suspicions and in itself could be quite an innocent occurrence which while being investigated has led to further revelations that are not quite so innocent for some parties

no doubt they have some irregular betting in the Liverpool area and even crooked gamblers could see Reilly was having a mare that night and would have lumped on a red card maybes Jenno was raging as he thought the red card had blown it

the big question is, before or after that game was there any association with Jenno?

the amount of time he spent in the bookmakers could well mean he certainly has an association with these type of people but doesn't mean he had a relationship with them, but no doubt the investigation will have thrown up his habits and 2+2=?

Surely O'Reilly will be took in for questioning some point today?

Only if they think he did anything illegal, which seems unlikely, however 'criminal' his performance was that night. If they've been investigating for a year, I'm sure they'll already have spoken to him.

SFA statement seems to intimate its been a thorough investigation to this point

Statement on Steve Jennings

Thursday, 06 October 2011

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA chief executive: “The Scottish FA has received notification from the Gambling Commission that the Motherwell FC player, Steve Jennings, was arrested at his home today by Merseyside Police. This follows extensive enquiries in relation to alleged betting irregularities at a Scottish Premier League match between Motherwell and Hearts on December 14, 2010.

“While the investigation involves several other individuals outwith Scotland, it is important to stress that the evidence gathered throughout this thorough period of investigation has involved only one Scottish match.

“Motherwell FC are aware of the situation and will issue a response in due course. The Scottish FA will make no further comment at this stage.”

There's been a problem in lower leagues in England and Scotland for many years now and more and more cases are being reported, I'm sure there was a case at Morton a few years back and some down south, I want to say Accrington Stanley a few years back, but can't be sure.

It was only a matter of time before one of the "big" teams got caught up in it.