European Football

GazzyB

For Scottish teams, what allowance do we get next year for CL & Europa League? I think I read top two get CL but I thought we'd been dropped down to only 1st place?

Also, in the BBC gossip page...

"Rangers face a ban from European competition next season should the Scottish Premier League leaders go into administration this term. (Sunday Post)"

Am I right in saying that if that were to happen, then 2nd and 3rd would get CL?

When will the court case be finished? Can the losers appeal the decision? I'm wondering if this will actually be resolved one way or another before the end of the season. Even if rangers lose they will probably appeal against a points deduction, so could this whole thing potentially drag into next season? Could see them start next season on -25?

I dunno how it works. Anyone?

We get the following:

2 Champions League Spots. A Champions Route playoff place and a Non-Champions Route.

3 Europa League places - Scottish Cup winners get playoff, 3rd gets 3rd Quals Round and 4th gets 2nd Quals Round.

Rangers if in Administration on 31 March 2012 WILL NOT be in Europe next season, with the next best place to them taking whatever position they would have taken - point reduction or not.

This chat scares me

Gaag, a suggestion for you being an administrator.

In Mark McGhees 3rd place season Motherwell reached 60 points, an average of 1.6 points per game. Currently Motherwell are sitting on an average of 2 points per game and would now need an average of 1.4 points per game for the remainder of the season to match this total.

Celtic and Rangers will finish first and second, (even with an administration deduction for Rangers) but given that there is no obvious 4th place team at this moment 60 points could again be enough for third.

Would it be worth pinning a running total of this average? It would be very easy to update this average each week. If Motherwell can stay ahead of the 1.6 point average then the Europa League bekons. Looking at the bigger picture may soften the blow of weekends when Motherwell lose. Just a thought. Very easy to update and a good way of tracking progress.

On the points deduction chat, it cannot be 25 points. Dundee got a 25 point penalty in the SFL which run a completely different set of rules to the SPL. SPL rules dictate that ten points will be deducted for each financial infraction, theoretically leaving a penalty that could be 10-20-30-40 or up and beyond that.

I found the following website to be very good:

http://kassiesa.net/uefafiles/2012-13-uefa-access-list.pdf

we get:

1 Champions League place - Q3

3 Europa League places - PO, Q3, Q2

However, I think 3rd in the league get a PO and CW get Q2 (not as it shows)

Hope this helps

That shows 2 CL places both in at Q3

I found the following website to be very good:

http://kassiesa.net/uefafiles/2012-13-uefa-access-list.pdf

we get:

1 Champions League place - Q3

3 Europa League places - PO, Q3, Q2

However, I think 3rd in the league get a PO and CW get Q2 (not as it shows)

Hope this helps

As cambo says. We get 2 CL places, one for each pot (Champions and Non-Champions)

Also the Cup Winner is the highest of the Europa League places, so will be Play-Off Round. With Third next and 4th in the 2nd Qual Round. The only time this will change if the Cup Runner Up/6th in the League takes the 5th spot - this way they all move up one place.

As cambo says. We get 2 CL places, one for each pot (Champions and Non-Champions)

Also the Cup Winner is the highest of the Europa League places, so will be Play-Off Round. With Third next and 4th in the 2nd Qual Round. The only time this will change if the Cup Runner Up/6th in the League takes the 5th spot - this way they all move up one place.

So is that a change from last year then? Last year we only had one spot, right? Assuming we did not get an extra spot on merit of Scottish performances in europe did they change format to allow us champion and runner up?

So is that a change from last year then? Last year we only had one spot, right? Assuming we did not get an extra spot on merit of Scottish performances in europe did they change format to allow us champion and runner up?

I'm sure Rangers got to the QF of the Europa the year before last did they no? I think we got the extra place because of that.

Edit: Just checked it was the last 16 last year. That would have helped, no?

I'm sure Rangers got to the QF of the Europa the year before last did they no? I think we got the extra place because of that.

Edit: Just checked it was the last 16 last year. That would have helped, no?

Could be. I have no clue anymore but regardless, it sounds like if you are in top 5 and one of the top 5 win the cup then you are in europe.

I think McCall needs to get them all signed up now so that we can keep the team together. ( assuming we do get into europe ) I hate that making europe and then a brand new team has to be assembled. Of course this season we kept the same team but unfortunately no european adventure. Surely he could get them signed up now on the understanding that they will be free to move to any club once we are out of europe or if we do not actually make it into europe. It wil be hard to keep anyone whose contract is up and they hit a purple patch. Just like Sutton last year, we could have extended his contract early on, but by the time it was addressed he was playing out of his skin and a target for other clubs. We should learn from that and if we are happy with the palyers we have then try and ensure they are tied to motherwell for any possible european campaign next season.