Stevie Hammell

steelboy

the official site has hammell at 399 appearances.

obviously after saturday we might be waiting a while for the big 400th appearance but hopefully it will be marked by the club. he's obvioulsy still behind at least ferrier, wark and kilmarnock but he's got plenty of time on his side and i'd wager on him getting up to 500 no problem.

stevie seems to get the least attention out our old guard. craggs has the media profile and las gets the man love but hammell's contribution and consistency over the years just noses him ahead for me.

whenever it arrives 400 appearances is a big deal and stevie deserves all the praise coming his way :notworthy:

• Like 1

That was irony about his injury on Saturday. It's not that often he hasn't been available for selection over the years, then when the race between him and that Killie player to overtake Severin to become the player with most SPL appearances gets a fair bit of coverage and seven days later he's carried off on a stretcher.

I seem to remember Boyle making some presentation to him in the past - could have been the 300th perhaps, but aye any recognition is well deserved. No mean feet collecting that many outings in modern day football, particularly when you think he had an 18 month sabbatical down south.

Great thing to go along with that is, he could easily make 500. You think he has the rest of this season, which will make him 30 - and all things going for him still a few seasons left in him yet.

If he makes it to 465, he will have beaten Joe Wark's appearances. Fine company to be in - especially if you are a left back.

Great player. Totally under rated and we didn't realise how good he was until he went to Southend. Craigan wrote a great piece on him in the cup final programme mentioning how Hammell would have every right to feel aggrieved about his lack of Scotland caps. I agree.

i don't suppose you know his all in total by any chance?

i've never seen the point in focusing on league appearances, cups are just as important.

I don't know total. Had a look last night, but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm sure one of our resident stattos must have it somewhere.

i don't suppose you know his all in total by any chance?

i've never seen the point in focusing on league appearances, cups are just as important.

Ah, found it, I think. Not the full article, but an extract from an Evening Times article from 2006.

LEFT-BACK Joe Wark spent 16 years at Motherwell - 1968 until his retirement in 1984. Still a member of the Former Players' Club at Well, Joe won First and Second Division titles with the club without lifting any of the major trophies. He did gain recognition for his consistency by being called up to the Scottish League side, although a full cap eluded him. With 539 appearances to his name, however, he looks back fondly on his time at Motherwell.

So, 539 is is number.

Ah, found it, I think. Not the full article, but an extract from an Evening Times article from 2006.

So, 539 is is number.

good work :thumbup:

stevie's looking at another 3 full seasons of consistency after this one to match that, it would be some achievement but he's only 29 so it's not not impossible.

hopefully we can get a few decent euro and cup runs in to get him up there.

So, 539 is is number.

So Hammell is currently 140 appearances behind. With Motherwell playing a minimum of 40 games a season (38 League 1 League Cup and a Scottish Cup tie) it is managable for Hammell to reach that figure. If he plays every game from now for the next 3 seasons he should do it....

Excellent stuff.

399 Appearences?

I thought it was the number of times 'ye know' was said in Hammy's latest interview for MFCtv...

:whistling:

I mind Hammell when he took over from Stevie McMillian in that Left back position.

One of the first names on the team sheet.

ye know...

Funnily enough the first time I really remember Hammell was against Celtic. He came in as a 17 year old to replace McMillan who was out for some reason and he was absolutely brilliant. McMillan was one of our best players at that time but he struggled to get back into the team at left back and I remember 'Studs' having to move to left centre back.

It's a great achievement to get to 400 matches and arguably he's been the best left back we've had for 20 or 30 years.

Its an achievement that should be lauded to the full. In this day and age to make 400 appearances for one club is almost unheard of, so Stevie Hammell deserves to be recognised as one of Motherwell's greatest and most consistent servants of all time.