The State Of The Pitch.

SuperSteelman

It is an total embarrassment having to play on a surface like that. Looks like the groundsman has been playing at wacky races or something with his tractor, leaving tyre tracks all over it. No one elses park is quite as bad as that so why is ours in such a state?. We can't blame the rain, we can't blame Gretna so what is the problem?

I can only see it getting worse in the next couple of months and i think it could maybe cost us points and injuries.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an total embarrassment having to play on a surface like that. Looks like the groundsman has been playing at wacky races or something with his tractor, leaving tyre tracks all over it. No one elses park is quite as bad as that so why is ours in such a state?. We can't blame the rain, we can't blame Gretna so what is the problem?

I can only see it getting worse in the next couple of months and i think it could maybe cost us points and injuries.

Too many players in the middle of the park :lol:

I totally agree with the state of the park. It was very very thin and shocking.

But, in my opinion, footballers are footballers, they should be able to play on anything, look at the early years of football - it was just mud upon mud, no smooth green growing grass.

Of course I'd love to have an ideal footballing surfuce because we can take advantage of that playing silky soccer but, footballers should adapt to anything thats put infront of them!

if we had a balloon up over the pitch how do you think the groundsman gets it off the pitch?

he has to tractor the covers off the pitch down to where they are stored

you can't have a dome up pumping hot air around the pitch with training sessions taking place under it and then expecting the pitch to be perfect?

gie the guy a break believe it or not he is TRYING HIS BEST to give us as best a pitch as he can (Flow will back me up) , the majority of pitches in Britain are in a bad state

Discuss....

if we had a balloon up over the pitch how do you think the groundsman gets it off the pitch?

he has to tractor the covers off the pitch down to where they are stored

you can't have a dome up pumping hot air around the pitch with training sessions taking place under it and then expecting the pitch to be perfect?

gie the guy a break believe it or not he is TRYING HIS BEST to give us as best a pitch as he can (Flow will back me up) , the majority of pitches in Britain are in a bad state

Discuss....

Maybe we should try and get undersoil heating that works then. They shouldn't be driving bloody tractors all over a football pitch, it's farcical. And for what you say about the groundsman trying his best, well sometimes it just isn't good enough. We have one of the worst parks in Scotland and that is a fact.

Our park is f**ked and always will be. Until we move and we need to accept that fact. No money will be put into a ground that has been on life support for many years (despite what John Boyle said pre-season. :P ).

If you want to play silky football there is no way that will happen on at least half the grounds in the SPL at this moment in time. On the ones that are better we could maybe attempt to play McGhees preferred passing game. Sadly, until then, we need to go route one. :P

Steady decline under the current groundsmans' stewardship and those in power know it. Understanding the current financial climate, the groundstaff still have equipment available way and above what others use to ensure acceptable playing surfaces in the district and are found lacking. The claim "It can't get any worse" is one of folly to boot.

The pitch is a bloody disgrace. I would venture the following points:

1. Every pitch in the country is not 'in a state' at this time of year - ICT, Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd pitches are in really good nick just now.

2. The deterioration in the FP pitch did not happen overnight as the pitch and its maintenance (or lack of it) have been awful for a number of years now.

3. Moving is not the only solution to having a good pitch - get it dug up, sort out all the drainage problems, fix the undersoil heating, relay a quality surface. The get decent groundstaff in to maintain the bloody thing.

Yes it will cost money to remedy it but so what because it needs to be sorted. Our manager and team strengths are in playing a passing game and with a pitch like this its costing us dear as it takes the skill factor out of the game and teams we would normally pass off the park are able to come and get results they hardly deserve.

Reading this topic, I feel as though I've travelled a year back in time :wallbash:

Did we really learn nothing from last years experiences - fear it's going to get much worse in the next few weeks - Celtic due to visit with a game on Setanta - sound familiar !

MON RA DOSSERS