Two 1970S Motherwell Kits Featured

underboyleheating

got relegated and brought in adidas for the 3 years in the First Division. Another strange move considering the size of the company

Another strange move was, to my knowledge we never had an away strip with that kit. If anyone knows of one please enlighten us! I would have thought that even back then, SFA rules would have forced all league teams to register a home and away kit.

Another strange move was, to my knowledge we never had an away strip with that kit. If anyone knows of one please enlighten us! I would have thought that even back then, SFA rules would have forced all league teams to register a home and away kit.

Did we have 'away' kits back then? It used to be Scotland was one of the few (or only?) countries where the 'change' strip was worn by the home team.

:nod: Yep we brought that back, got relegated and brought in adidas for the 3 years in the First Division. Another strange move considering the size of the company, would have thought a period of success would have been required to get adidas, not complaining though cos I loved that kit, much paleness or not.

Same here. The Adidas kit has always been one of my favourites, and the 3 years in the First Division were some of my favourite times following the club.

Let's call it a change strip cos it was indeed worn at home but we had no need for a change kit, except Dundee Utd in the League Cup when we used their white and black kit IIRC.

I remember that game at Fir Park. I was only a nipper and whilst I only recollect being told sometime later it was actually Dundee Utd's change kit we were wearing, I do remember us playing in black and white.

Thing is I can't quite remember the season as we played them I'm sure in both the 1980'81 and 1981'82 League Cup.

I think it may be 1981'82 as for some reason I seem to remember pictures in our Championship Winning Brochure but that I think was only ever produced in black and white.

Another question then, if we didn't have an away kit. Presumably when we played Thistle in the 81'82 League Cup - it was they who changed on both occasions? Or did they just get on with it?

Let's call it a change strip cos it was indeed worn at home but we had no need for a change kit, except Dundee Utd in the League Cup when we used their white and black kit IIRC.

Think we only wore that once, for the home league cup game in 1980, and United wore their away strip for all the other games?

Another question then, if we didn't have an away kit. Presumably when we played Thistle in the 81'82 League Cup - it was they who changed on both occasions? Or did they just get on with it?

You would have thought that the easier option would have been just to supply us with an away kit! Anyway, the holy grail is for someone to find a pic of us wearing that Dundee United change kit.

I remember that game at Fir Park. I was only a nipper and whilst I only recollect being told sometime later it was actually Dundee Utd's change kit we were wearing, I do remember us playing in black and white.

Thing is I can't quite remember the season as we played them I'm sure in both the 1980'81 and 1981'82 League Cup.

I think it may be 1981'82 as for some reason I seem to remember pictures in our Championship Winning Brochure but that I think was only ever produced in black and white.

In the Thistle game away we went back to that just recently made famous white Admiral kit with Claret shorts n socks IIRC

Home league cup game against Dundee United in 81/82 both sides wore their usual strips.

If we did wear United’s change kit at Fir Park, it must have been the season before. Have to say I have no recollection of us ever wearing another teams kit, but then again my memory is shit! laugh.gif

Midweek tie we won 2-1, did McKeever score the winner? I also seem to recall both teams wearing their home kits at Tannadice in the Scottish Cup, or am I losing it?

Sure United wore their all white strip in the 1982 (6-1) cup game.

Think McKeever is just about to score in the bottom picture, no sure if it was winner or equaliser though.

Midweek tie we won 2-1, did McKeever score the winner? I also seem to recall both teams wearing their home kits at Tannadice in the Scottish Cup, or am I losing it?

Soccerbase

Wed 24th Sept 1980 Dundee United 4 Motherwell 2

Wed 3rd Sept 1980 Motherwell 2 Dundee United 1

Wasn't at the away tie but apparently we threw it away in typical Motherwell fashion, losing late goals in normal and extra time.

United were the holders at the time and went on to retain the trophy.

According to the stats they pretty much owned us at that time. In saying that, they had a very, very good side.

According to the stats they pretty much owned us at that time. In saying that, they had a very, very good side.

They did have a very good side, but we played them off the park in both games and still managed to lose. After the Tannadice leg, Jim McLean came into the Motherwell dressing room and told them "you were robbed".

Going slightly off topic with the strips chat but I have vague memories of both trips to Tannadice despite only being about six or seven. I remember being in the Main Stand for the League Cup game and it seemed like it was the middle of the night when we got back home.

The other, possibly based on those League Cup games, my old man reminds there were hundreds of buses of Motherwell fans up for the Scottish Cup game. What was it? Something like 4-0 down after 10 minutes!! :doh: Apparently I'm to be found on Sportscene highlights waving my flag after our consolation goal!