Time Running Out For Mccall ?

postiejim

Then we will need this thread

We'll need this thread when we find ourselves finishing in the bottom half of the table, fighting against relegation.

We're fighting for third place for fucks sake! Even a fourth place finish isn't the time to start asking about the credibility of the manager.

If we finish 4th, some people on here will be screaming for McCall to be sacked.

If you had offered the same people 4th at the start of the season, they would have bitten your hand off.

I still think we will get 3rd though.

McCall is a decent manager and about as good as we can expect to attract given the finances at our disposal and the size of our club.

No way should we be thinking about parting company.

He hasnt been helped recently with injuries and suspensions which have upset consistency of selection.

All that said, 4-5-1 wasnt working over the winter and its not working now.

He has to find a way of rejuvinating the players and our level of performance otherwise we can kiss 3rd place goodbye.

Mon the ginger army!

Yes i've calmed down from today's debacle and i honestly think McCall's done well with us. Have to say i wish he could get us more fired up for BIG games in which our arse invariably falls off.Like the cup games at home to Hibs and Aberdeen. Every game against the ugly sisters. I once read that a manager learns more about his players in defeats than any other time and im sure McCall will be just as pissed off with certain players performances in the last 3 games as we are. Hopefully he can get them to turn in performances we had in the first half of the season. :rolleyes:

We'll need this thread when we find ourselves finishing in the bottom half of the table, fighting against relegation.

David this place would blow up if and when we revert back to our normal status. And Steelboys beard would probably self combust. These last few years have been a real purple patch in our clubs history, and given the crowds we still fail to attract even more remarkable. 4th place will be a major achievement, 3rd unbelievable, Champions League just mind blowing for a club our size. I'll avoid the 'punching' line cos it upsets some wee delicate souls but believe me, runs of form such as we have experienced of late are the exception rather than the norm. So fucking enjoy them just now instead fof nitpicking and running down the players who can still etch their name in our folklore.

• Like 3

:doh: Some people need to get a grip FFS, we are in pole position for 3rd place and a Champions league spot, yes we are having a bad run just now, but we will get there, SMC is doing a fantastic job, so stop talking pish and get right behind the team, 4 games left to secure a place in the Big boys playground next season. Mon the well

First of all it's plain daft to be thinking about getting rid of McCall but that doesn't mean people can't voice concerns or observations.

We are 3rd but Celtic won the league and I don't think anyone (away from Celtic Park that is) thinks Neil Lennon is an extraordinary manager. Basically he won the league not because of his tactical ability, his ability to motivate players for important matches or anything else - he won because of the playing staff he has available to him.

There have been times when I think our league performance this season has been more down to our playing staff being better than most of the rest than Stuart McCall.

But it's also important to recognize that being the manager of a football club isn't all about match day. There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes and I have no reason to believe Stuart McCall doesn't do that side of things very well. We seem to be well run behind the scenes, a good dressing room, we haven't had too many injuries and players all seem fit enough, although I don't always agree with his after match comments he conducts himself well in the media etc and all that preparation during the week may be just as important as what happens during the 90 minutes of a match.

However I rarely agree with his line ups, his tactics have often been inflexible, he is conservative and defensively minded in my opinion, his use of (or lack of) substitutes is often baffling, he is over loyal to some players and hasn't give others a real chance, he seems to make the same mistakes over and over, we have not seen a single young player of note emerge in the year and a half McCall has been at the club and our record against the Old Firm and in important matches isn't that great to say the least.

So there is good and bad about McCall. I always say finishing Top 6 is a good achievement for a Motherwell manager and McCall will certainly do that. He has a smaller playing staff and a smaller budget than many sides and his options are limited and he deserves praise for his achievements but I just wonder if we ever find ourselves in a bit of a hole if McCall is the kind of guy that would get us out of it. Decent at keeping the motor running, perhaps not so good if we need a road side mechanic.

I heard a while back that McCall was worried about finishing high up the league because it would increase fan expectation. Understandable perhaps but I think that sums up Stuart McCall in a way. A bit of a steady eddie. Some one who isn't going to push the team on to bigger and better things. Someone who is happy to have relative or modest success rather than actual success. It could be a lot worse. I just fear when we look back on Season 2011/12 some of us will feel a little disappointed that we had 'once in a generation' chances (finishing 2nd, cup competitions, weak Old Firm sides, and now the battle for Champions League) and didn't take them.

• Like 1

Some one who isn't going to push the team on to bigger and better things. Someone who is happy to have relative or modest success rather than actual success. It could be a lot worse. I just fear when we look back on Season 2011/12 some of us will feel a little disappointed that we had 'once in a generation' chances (finishing 2nd, cup competitions, weak Old Firm sides, and now the battle for Champions League) and didn't take them.

If we get that Champions League place I would say that's a bit more than modest success, I would class that as a major achievement. Let's be honest the title is not a realistic target, I'm a bit disappointed we didn't take Rangers but that said we are still on course for a good deal more than we have any right to expect.

4th place will be a major achievement, 3rd unbelievable, Champions League just mind blowing for a club our size.

it'll be a good season but a missed opportunity.

considering the quality in our squad and the troubles of hearts, hibs and aberdeen and the rebuilding job united had to do i don't think 4th would be a great achievement.

in fact i'd say getting 5th in 09/10 would be a better achievement than 4th this season considering the strenghts of the opposition.

• Like 1

Fitba is dead simple isn't it. Again, very selective. Dun Utd had amajor rebuilding job (like St Johnstone) so it can't be that they actually improved on what they already had. Shrewd business and good management from Houston and McInnes.

Aberdeen and Hibs are crap but a few better choices in the market and who knows. Even though we were able to keep the same squad for the first time in quite a whike thatcame with zero guarantees. We have STILL done well to be where we are and hopefully we end where we are right now.

We finish 4th and what the season is looked on as one of failure? Nah. Missed oppourtunity but not failure.

Fitba is dead simple isn't it. Again, very selective. Dun Utd had amajor rebuilding job (like St Johnstone) so it can't be that they actually improved on what they already had. Shrewd business and good management from Houston and McInnes.

Aberdeen and Hibs are crap but a few better choices in the market and who knows. Even though we were able to keep the same squad for the first time in quite a whike thatcame with zero guarantees. We have STILL done well to be where we are and hopefully we end where we are right now.

We finish 4th and what the season is looked on as one of failure? Nah. Missed oppourtunity but not failure.

united have lost bauben, gomis, conway and goodwillie. they have replaced them with players of lesser quality. they are a decent team now but it took them a few months to get going. i actually think with the standard of the league this season due to the amount of downsizing going on united's team from last season and our team from the season before would both be in 2nd at the moment.

our target has been getting the champions league spot from the moment rangers went into admin. it's not a primary school sports day where everyone wins, if we don't get that spot we will have failed.

Aye, failed to get that spot to arguably a BETTER team over the course of a season but succeeded in getting fourth, a Europa League spot, and another top six. Agaun, hardly a season that compares to, since you quoted him

in another post, Malpas.

it'll be a good season but a missed opportunity.

considering the quality in our squad and the troubles of hearts, hibs and aberdeen and the rebuilding job united had to do i don't think 4th would be a great achievement.

in fact i'd say getting 5th in 09/10 would be a better achievement than 4th this season considering the strenghts of the opposition.

Considering the budget we're working on I'd say top 6 is an achievement, anything above that deserves even more recognition for a job well fucking done.

• Like 1

Stu Mac is doing a great job.

He has rung the changes when needed, (Humphrey,Murphy,Craigan and Ojamma out when they were rotten), made good signings (Daley the only question mark) and until recently, had us playing great stuff to get where we are in the league.

Only gripe being, he doesn`t seem to give a fuck about challenging the OF in 1 off games dry.gif

This thread was nonsense when it was first published and is even more nonsense now.

We are sitting third and only a few weeks ago had a realistic chance of second. Not often we can say that.

I think our recent form is down to us starting to run out of steam a wee bit.

But we have been very consistent throughout the season with no massive dips in form and thats down to our manager.

The only reason Dundee Utd are so close is the fact they have been the best team in the league for about 3 months. If they had done this from the start they would be challenging Celtic right now. I would not be one bit surprised if Dundee Utd caught us.

If we can hold onto third then it would be one of the finest achievements of any Motherwell manager since Tommy McLean won us the cup.

And to top it all off we have played pretty decent attractive football all season.

• Like 5

While we'd all be gutted if we ended up chucking away 3rd place, this thread lighting up at this stage in the season is laughable.

We've been out of the Top 3 for 2 weeks all season, a position that a team of our budget, support and stature would need to be performing exceptionally well to have any idea of maintaining over the course of the season. At times, yes, we have had dips in form, like we do every year. December - January is always dire for us, whether it is games being called off disrupting the flow, managers telling us they'll stay then bugger off, or just the fatigue of the first half of the season catching up. I predict now, that come Christmas 2012, there will be another drop in performances by the players, it just happens.

But to suggest that McCall should go? That is a ridiculous thing to be coming out with. The players are clearly tired, as barring injury and suspensions, the team has pretty much been the same XI all year. Had we the depth in squad that other teams have, then maybe Stu could have mixed it up, but that may have been at the detriment of some of the good play that was going on. There are far more managers in the SPL who have under-delivered this season that should be on the list of bosses to go far before McCall.

Aberdeen missed out on Top Six, where we always hear is a place they should be. Sack Brown.

Hibernian have won 1 game at home all season, albeit they are in the Cup Final, while still in threat of relegation. Sack Fenlon.

Rangers chucked a 15 point lead before their troubles began. Sack McCoist.

There's 3 that have had far worse seasons than we have, yet there are few folk calling for them to be sacked. If we do bottle 3rd, then McCall will no doubt accept some of the blame for it along with the players, but we shouldn't be looking to get rid of the man. He's still a relatively young manager and will make mistakes from time to time, but you can't just bin him for what has been on the whole, a better than average season for us. if we were fighting it out with Hibs and Dunfermline and bottling staying up, then maybe there would be legitimate calls for his mulleted head, but with everything still to play for in the hunt for Champion's League football, we should be getting behind the manager, not pillorying him for a few bad results here and there.

3rd is ours to lose, but I still think we'll win it.