Ott Abuse Of Players Must End

Yir Elder

After Saturday I feel I must raise my voice against some of the ridiculous abuse handed out to certain individuals in our team. Now I'm not saying that folk shouldn't offer criticism, far from it. However some of the stuff that gets shouted is personal rather than a critique of the player's abilities, which is simply not on.

Take Michael Higdon for example. For the most part he performed very well without much support, but the moment he misplaces a pass it begins. Some of the things that are shouted from the East Stand defy any logic. Roaring abuse at him to "FUCKIN JUMP!!" when the ball is arriving at him at chest height is simply astonishing! Okay I get that folk don't rate him, but if you're going to moan about his supposed errors, at least be gracious and supportive enough to applaud the good work he does.

Yes our home record is poor this season, but are we playing a part in this? Are players frightened to do something risky for fear of major abuse if it goes wrong? We are all frustrated, but turning on our team and some individuals at the first sign of the game going against us does us no credit. Even the young 'uns at the end of the East Stand have lost their spark!

So, hows about we all get behind the team a bit more from the off, especially at home?!! See if it makes a difference, it did at the start of the season! And if there's a total tube spouting negative pish near you, drown them out with positive shouts! I'm sure we'll see the benefits!

Mon the Well!

• Like 13

A negative rep for advocating supporting the players... that figures.

As for Higdon, minds were made up long before he even kicked a ball for us and with almost every players these minds will not review their opinion regardless of performances and goals scored.

And I am convinced that some of the players are wary of trying anything for fear of the abuse that will pour down from the stands - see the Randolph thread for some of the shouts.

You'd think we were rock bottom of the table jugding by the reaction to the defeat on Saturday - yes, the form hasn't been great but the SPL table has us sitting 4th for a reason, we have performed well on enough occasions to merit it.

All of your points are well thought out there Elder, but I fear it'll fall on deaf ears.

There are only two extremes you see, you're either a negative nancy or a happy clappy type. There can be no inbetween it appears.

As I mentioned in another thread, there was a guy sitting a few rows behind me in the centre of the east who vocally backed Higdon and made some comments about the abuse that the guy has been getting of late. We need more fans to do that, show the abusive types that their disgraceful behaviour won't go unchallenged.

For the record, the abusive types I'm talking about aren't the majority of fans who are simply frustrated at the teams performance. Anyone who sits in the east knows exactly the type of fan I'm talking about.

I doubt that'll stop someone quoting me here and going on about fans having the right to be critical of course.

A lot of current Motherwell fans have a totally unrealistic expectation of our team.

At the start of the season most people would have quite easily accepted a top six finish - we are well on course for this.

We have a group of players and a management team who are giving their all to the club, but even when they do this they get totally lambasted for it.

There was a good programme about Borussia Mochengladbach on ESPN the other day and last year the team was in a playoff to decide who got relegated from the top division in Germany. They won 2-1 and didn't go down, but all season they had about 50,000 fans standing to a man supporting the team. The players really appreciated the effort the fans put in to keep them up.

I dread to think what Fir Park would be like if we were in the same position.

We just need to have a sense of realism around Fir Park and accept the quality of player we can sign and also the quality of the football on display.

Can only agree with whats been posted above. Unfortunately this has gone on for as long as i can rememebr at Fir Park. I remember Stevie Kirk :notworthy: nearly having a sqaure go with a fan who gave him constant abuse for 90 minutes. I also had to personally tell a guy to shut the **** up when he was giving Jim Hamilton abuse through out a game years ago.

Some say you pay your money so your entitled to an opionion. But we are supposed to be Motherwell FC SUPPORTERS so as Yir Elder says lets get behind the team.

We are 4th in the league . Some people really need a reality check :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Were no better or worse than other supporters .

Thus far this season alone I've seen Tom Hateley, Craigan & now Randolph react to the way our support is acting, along with some tweets a while back from the likes of Lasley asking the fans to ease up on Higdon.

I haven't seen or heard of anything similar from any other SPL club. To think that this is how we're reacting whilst sitting in the top 4 pretty much all season makes me seriously question the mentality of some who follow our club.

Agree with yir elder, but the same happens at other clubs ,to say that the level of abuse at firpark is worse than other grounds is rubbish.

I guess the abuse is matched by that at places like Pittodrie & Easter Road this season. The difference between their season and ours is there for all to see however...

completely agree with peter. if the abuse continues do the "fans" dishing it out think that this treatment would encourage any prospective signings to come to fir park? because i don,t think it would.yes they are frustrating to watch & we know they can do a lot better, so lets get behind them & support the team please :thumbup:

I haven't seen or heard of anything similar from any other SPL club.

I haven't. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened though, does it?

Look at the facts, Jim. We're sitting fourth in the table ahead of clubs who have larger crowds and more money than we do, and have competed with those clubs for the past few seasons now.

I understand that performances haven't been great at Fir Park. I've been there, just like everyone else. That doesn't excuse the abuse that's been dished out to our players. It's a fucking disgrace and and isn't even befitting of a club who are sitting rooted to the bottom of the table.

Totally agree David but i just cant buy into this "worst at dishing out the verbal" thing either.

How many other clubs have had their players arguing with fans in the crowd, and a player even trying to get into the stand to confront a fan? We've also had players asking fans of their own club to lay off their top goalscorer!

We may not be the very worst, but we're certainly not far off it. Listening to the shite from the East stand I maybe understand why we play better away from home.

Having seen every game home and away this season there is no doubt that the atmosphere at the away games is much better and that our supporters enthusiasm and optimism definately seems to rub off on the players.Even when we went through some sticky patches in these games the support never waivered so if we can do it away from home why can't we do it at Fir Park.

And anyone who says we pays our money etc etc and can shout anything we like should take a long hard look at themselves.

• Like 2

In terms of giving our own players abuse we are the worst in the SPL.Of course players will get some if they are having a shocker or play a terrible ball but with us we can be winning or playing ok and people are still at it.I'd also put us and St Midden as the worst for giving the ref abuse.

Alot of good and fair points in this thread. To an extent, I have to actually agree that Motherwell supporters have been spoiled in recent times with top six finishes, Cup finals, Europe etc. and all on a shoestring budget. We are a small club with a small fanbase especially compared to the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd & Aberdeen, yet we have managed to match and outperform these clubs in recent years. However that doesn't stop supporters giving criticism where it's due and when the team is playing poorly then criticism is warranted, so long as it's not just plain abuse directed at players as that just doesn't help atall. People pay their hard earned money to support the club and if they feel they're not getting their money's worth then it's their right to say so.

What I would fully agree with though is that the 'younger' generation of Motherwell fans, that is Motherwell fans under the age of say 30 have definately been 'spoiled' in that they've never seen us relegated or playing in a lower division. I'm in my mid twenties and for all my time following the club we've been a top flight club which is quite something when you look at similar sized clubs such as Partick Th, St.Mirren, Dunfermline who have been up and down on more than one occasion during that period.

It is certainly not just the East Stand. Fair amount of folk screaming at McCall etc from the POD on occasion as well. Not slow to chirp back either it has to be said. I remember McCall getting it tight at Tannadice last January.....about four games into his new job. Some people fail/don't want to view the overall picture. It would appear a small minority just want to see Motherwell win every game and aren't happy if we don't. How many times have you heard the boos ring out at Fir Park after a draw!

How many other clubs have had their players arguing with fans in the crowd, and a player even trying to get into the stand to confront a fan? We've also had players asking fans of their own club to lay off their top goalscorer!

We may not be the very worst, but we're certainly not far off it. Listening to the shite from the East stand I maybe understand why we play better away from home.

Did you not see Leigh Griffiths of Hibs after scoring against Cowdenbeath?

He was giving his own fans dogs abuse and gestured to them.

He has been banned for this.

I hear the shite in the Cooper stand as well and while I do not condone it I can understand fans being frustrated by our performances.

Of course we should all be supporting the team but one home league win in nine is rubbish and McCall and the players need to get this sorted and quickly.

As soon as we start winning again then the abuse will, hopefully, stop.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the thread, I can't agree that there has been a barrage of OTT abuse being shouted at our players. Moans are more audible due to the non existent atmosphere at Fir Park these days, but by and large the entire crowd sit on their hands. It's brutal. I would also disagree that our fans are "the worst in the league". We certainly have our idiots who know nothing about football whose moans are more audible than usual due to the aforementioned shite atmosphere, but which club doesn't?

I would also disagree that our home form "hasn't been the best of late". I believe the correct phrase we are looking for is "fucking torture since August 7th v Hearts".

There was a guy behind me on Saturday whom in response to the unreasonable moaning a few people were aiming at Higdon responded with sarcastic "fuck sake Higdon" shouts when Higdon wasn't even nearly involved with the move that broke down!!! In short, if you hear a negative comment being shouted, shout a positive one twice as loud!!! Or sit in silence....

Out of interest, what is worse? A fan that turns up every week and makes the odd negative comment? Or a fan that only turns up for cup finals/european games?