Today's Scotsman

trainbus

Good read, but I hope the stadium issue is a no-go, better a patched up Fir Park with it's history and atmosphere than another soulless bowl with clean stairs.

You and me both, but I fear that is exactly where we'll end up.

Yes a good article. Financially times are hard for clubs but aren't they for all of us? Its reassuring to know that we have some good folk at the helm of the club right now. I hope we're never again dependent on one person. It might be a John Boyle but it could also be a Craig Whyte.

Good read, but I hope the stadium issue is a no-go, better a patched up Fir Park with it's history and atmosphere than another soulless bowl with clean stairs.

Surely if the Well Society takes off the fans will have a say in any stadium move and as such should be in a position to prevent any move to a St. Mirren type effort? Like it or not the fact is that Fir Park is done and is now more of a burden on the club than anything else... obviously it has a bit of character and history but things change all the time, if we moved to a state of the art stadium with training / youth facilities then it'd be a major step forward for the club.

Not that I think it'll happen anytime in the next decade or two right enough...

Surely if the Well Society takes off the fans will have a say in any stadium move and as such should be in a position to prevent any move to a St. Mirren type effort? Like it or not the fact is that Fir Park is done and is now more of a burden on the club than anything else... obviously it has a bit of character and history but things change all the time, if we moved to a state of the art stadium with training / youth facilities then it'd be a major step forward for the club.

Not that I think it'll happen anytime in the next decade or two right enough...

The whole thing about Fir Park being 'done' is an argument I don't get. Most of the stadium is less than 20 years old.

Nothing stays state of the art for long. If we move to a new stadium then what happens 20 years after that? Do we move again?

People seem to think a new stadium would remain pristine and modern forever. Actually it would age at exactly the same rate as the Davie Cooper stand or the South Stand or any other stand.

Was goin down the m-74 today for the first time in years and saw fir park thru the hills (well the south stand) and still felt a sence of pride with it, it may be a shite hole but it's our shite hole :P

The whole thing about Fir Park being 'done' is an argument I don't get. Most of the stadium is less than 20 years old.

Nothing stays state of the art for long. If we move to a new stadium then what happens 20 years after that? Do we move again?

People seem to think a new stadium would remain pristine and modern forever. Actually it would age at exactly the same rate as the Davie Cooper stand or the South Stand or any other stand.

I'm not much of an architect so I'm just guessing / assuming here but I'd imagine buildings can be constructed to be flexible for the future with space to expand / upgrade which we've been told is not the case with Fir Park. I would also assume that there are better materials available that would stand the test of time better than the materials used in Fir Park. Add to that the possibility of training / youth / community facilities all on the one site and I'd say it'll last at least as long as fir park has lasted with lower costs to maintain it and the potential to make money back off of it.

This is all totally hypothetical but this attitude of "I've been going to Fir Park for 60 years, it has character and I don't like change" isn't going to see the club progress any. Sure this discussion has been done to death anyway...

I'm not much of an architect so I'm just guessing / assuming here but I'd imagine buildings can be constructed to be flexible for the future with space to expand / upgrade which we've been told is not the case with Fir Park.

Even if we sold Fir Park to a developer, we wouldn't come close to being able to fund anything more than St. Johnstone/St. Mirren/Falkirk type stadium.

Even if we sold Fir Park to a developer, we wouldn't come close to being able to fund anything more than St. Johnstone/St. Mirren/Falkirk type stadium.

Ye I know that's the case and that's why we'll be at Fir Park for at least another 10 years but the point is always "I don't want a soulless one size fits all stadium" and I totally agree with that. My original point was that any Well Society would surely be able to make sure that didn't happen and the response I received was that modern purpose built stadiums dont last any longer than old cobbled together ones so why bother?

Yes a good article. Financially times are hard for clubs but aren't they for all of us? Its reassuring to know that we have some good folk at the helm of the club right now. I hope we're never again dependent on one person. It might be a John Boyle but it could also be a Craig Whyte.

i was very impressed with what andrew wilson, jim mcmahon and derek weir had to say at the society meeting i attended. they definitely came across as the kind of people you'd want running the club.

whatever happens stadium wise i'm sure it'll be some way down the road, the main thing just now is to get the society up and running so the decision will be in our own hands.

I have to say i disagree on the stadium issue. Im all for a new 8000 seater in Ravenscraig we can keep our tradition by keeping the names of our stands the same and even still call it Fir Park but we need to move with the times. :cheers:

Falkirk and St Mirren ............soulless , shinny new parks with no history or atmosphere .Fir Park is our home stay there and spend the money on the team, why waste money on moving.

How many years maintanance = a new stadium ? No chance of selling F P in this financial climate iether.That would mean getting well into debt to build a new stadium and we all know were that leads to. Knowing us a new stadium would be more St Mirren than San Sero .

I don't think you're getting my point. No one is mentioning right now.

First off. I'd love us to stay at Fir Park but the cost of staying affects our ability to put a team on the park.

No one is saying we should move until the property market improves end there's no chance of us even thinking about moving until we can get decent money for the current site.

Sorry everyone. The stadium thing is just an idea / vision / dream. I would - personally - not be keen on a soulless 8000 seater. My view is Scotland needs a substantial mid-sized stadium which could be constructed to look impressive and feel good even with say 10,000 in it but the capacity to take 20,000 if the event allowed. Making the money work for that is hard but we should always, in life, start with the ambitious vision. The only reason to leave Fir Park is for something better and more ambitious not to give up on the hope we can double our average attendance - that should be our aim. Hope that makes sense but it aint a today issue. I was just using the point to show the Club's ambition is short and long term and that where we are from matters. I am proud of "The Steelmen" in our make-up and feel strongly that Lanarkshire people should stand proud about our past, present and future and never let anyone diminish us.

Dont let all that detract from my main point which is we need this Society to work and when it does the fans will choose in any event on all decisions like this one. If you dont like what I say you will be able to vote me off the Board!

Anyway, good times, stay positive and lets get a crowd along to Dunfermline on Saturday.

Andrew