Motherwell Vs Aberdeen Cup Game Discussion Thread

David

Can Refs and Assistants genuinely make so many "Mistakes" or "Not See " so many offences or is there something more sinister at work here ?

How many times does Higgy get fouled before he gets a decision and yet every time he goes near someone they cant wait to give a foul ?

Also since when was that amount of time-wasting allowed to go unpunished ?

We were absolutely atrocious when it mattered most. Poor decision for the non corner but it still had to be defended. Higdons penalty miss was a game changing moment and it was a terrible effort. Where was the defending for their second? At 2-0 it was game over as we weren't at the races right from the get go. I'm a massive Keith Lasley fan but he's really let everbody down by getting sent off as we are horrendously short for next week now. That said, Aberdeen just looked more up for it today for me. Reynolds strolled through the game and it was a poor show from the Well fans who booed him! I fear the worst for next Saturday now and really hope these suspensions don't derail our Euro push.

• Like 2

Paw Broon did a real number on us today.

Putting 3 in midfield against Las and Jenno worked a treat.

How Stuart McCall couldnt see it needed changing even before half time is beyond me.

May have led to frustration for Las bringing on that tackle which looked poor at the game and Im led to believe, even worse on tv.

Ralleyed towards end, but why we persisted in long ball to Higdon over and over is beyond me. Was clear Humphrey had the beating of their full back so needed to choose that option more.

Bad day at the office all round.

Fingers crossed nxt week will be better.

• Like 1

Just one of those days...

Actually enjoyed the game, thought we went about things in the right spirit but a few things never went our way, the decision to award a corner being one of those.

Personally i thought big Higdon done really well up until the last 10 or 15 minutes where he wasn't getting the same support from the tiring Ojamaa, held it up, flicked it on and knocked it down effectively. I suppose people can see things differently though.

In my opinion Higdon, Clancy and Ojamaa were excellent. Don't like to single out specific players for criticism but Page will not do, never seen anything to suggest anything different. Tom Hateley has been abysmal this season, needs to get his act together.

All that said, thank Christ we have McCall at the helm instead of that old codger, time wasting after 20 minutes and five, arguably six defenders on the park against ten men at 2-0. Football is meant to be entertainment, give me a McCall team any day of the week.

Just not our day, onwards and upwards.

On todays showing he would be but I don't think you can down play his general impact since he joined!

I said a few weeks ago, he would be judged on his impact when teams were aware of his threat and against better teams. He's been found wanting.

I hope he proves me wrong..

The farce that resulted in a corner was down to the linesman who had a crystal clear view of it and he should be taken immediately for an eye test at the SFA's referee sponsors.

That said the defending at both Aberdeen goals was schoolboy. The second was probably the worst. When the Aberdeen player skied the ball into the box it was so long in the air and yet none of our defenders bothered to mark Fallon who was under absolutely no pressure at all and all all the time in the world to see the ball and set himself for it right in the middle of our penalty box. Great goal my arse. When anyone gets as much time as that in your penalty box to do something like that then the defenders should get bull-fucked!

On the whole I think the game was probably won and lost in the first half and Aberdeen certainly deserved to be ahead at that time although if Higdon scores with the penalty it may well have turned the game around right there and then.

One thing that puzzles me is why McCall is starting Jamie Murphy in games. He is quite honestly a shadow of last season and was utter pish today until he got hooked. Maybe he's thinking too much about which club he wants to move to. Well on current evidence its the bench at best at FP for him.

Felt sorry for Ojama and Higdon today as they both worked tirelessly without getting a lot of support. I thought Jennings had a really poor game and he and Lasley struggled from the outset and were pushed back onto our back four too often and too easily - in this respect McCall needs to start sharpening up on his tactics and learn to react far quicker when his midfield is getting overrun through being outnumbered as they were today as Aberdeen were able to have runners coming onto our back four almost at will.

Another TV game and another sub-standard performance - need to keep live game TV coverage away from FP.dry.gif

A desperately disappointing and damaging afternoon, only partially redeemed by the last 15 minutes or so for me. And yet that we that came as close to snatching a replay as we did leaves me feeling a curious of mix of pride and frustration.

A pretty dismal first half from start to finish. A corner that never was, poor defending, blowing the penalty opportunity, Hutchy going off injured on the back of Craigan pulling out before the game. If ever there was a day you felt it was never going to happen this was it.

And when Lasley walked I foolishly commented that we'd be as well writing the day off and re-grouping for next week.

And yet somehow we almost managed to get a replay out of it.

I can only hope that the dejection the players were visibly showing at the end can be channeled positively going into next weekend's game against them. The last fifteen/twenty minutes should give the team all the encouragement they need to know that when they are of the right frame of mind and hit the necessary levels of intensity Aberdeen can be beaten.

Having said at this moment in time I'm slightly fearful that our team will be much the weaker whilst they have two or three ready to return.

But disappointing as it is, the season still offers some consolation for us. This wasn't a win or the season is dead scenario, we're still very well placed for one of the most memorable campaigns in years. Back to winning ways next week to help see that begin to come to fruition would be just the remedy for today's angst.

First goal was caused by the ref and linesman, poor defendin yes, but u can understand why we were a bit distracted after a decision like that. 2nd goal was down to Pish defending once again.

Kenny black's 2 substitutions were awful. Murphy shouldn't have been taken off, and Craigan should've went on for hitch instead (if he was indeed on the bench, if not then excuse the comment) cause page was gash.

Laws goal was well set up. Higdons missed pen was just too high, u could tell brown was going that way before he kicked it. If he got it in it could've changed the game

Hateley was absolutely horrendous today, who does he think he is tbh? Clancy was mediocre, higdon didn't look like he was interested, and lastly was having a decent goal till the tackle.

My hatred of Aberdeen has returned and I can't blame it tbh, will be goin back on Thursday and it's been 2 good experiences the past few weeks, the spirit in the Motherwell fans and the ability of our players has improved since I left (and the refereein down). Thanks to everyone at MFC for a good 2 games :D

Bigger picture time. Didn't play well until it was almost time up but the last period should be enough to tell them three points next week with that kind of application. We might struggle to put together a defence but I'm not overly concerned, just disappointed given we'd have got Hibs in the semis. Aberdeen wanted it more earlier and built up a lead based on poor officiating and bad defending.

Anyway back to the game itself. I disappointed mostly at losing to a side that really didn't do much to earn the win. We handed it to them on a plate.

Poor decision on the corner, but we still need to defend it. Get a penalty to get back in the tie and squander it before gifting a 2nd cheap goal. Sure it was a tidy finish but way we defended it was like scoring against a bunch of mannequins we stood off so much.

A spirited finish sure but over the piece we rarely played anything like we can but on balance of play a draw seemed the right result. But can't really complain, but we lost the game much more than they won it.

Big selection headaches next week, but 3 points towards that potential CL spot would just about make up for todays showing.

Think we forgot to count a few.......never mind, less gate to share. Had to laugh at the media description of Pawlett's piss poor effort with Randy way up the park. They described it as "narrowly a foot wide", he made a complete erse of it.

I said a few weeks ago, he would be judged on his impact when teams were aware of his threat and against better teams. He's been found wanting.

I hope he proves me wrong..

What utter shite, he was the only player on the pitch who looked dangerous today.

• Like 1

What utter shite, he was the only player on the pitch who looked dangerous today.

Your opinion. Personally I thought he contributed the square root of heehaw today. Got further and further away from Higdon the longer the game went on. I don't think he's much better than McHugh..

Wouldn't get carried away with last 15 mins. We piled pressure on but it was one long ball after another, higdon v a handful of giants.

Humphrey should have been used a lot more, particularly after skinning the full back for the goal. And while murphy was poor they couldn't handle his pace, thought he deserved a 10 minute stint through the middle. Law got the goal but I thought he was awful.

Am I the only one who thinks Ojaama is vastly overrated?

Don't think he is over rated, no one has said he is the next Messi or Ronaldo. What he has brought is a new dimension to the team, trying to create space and opportunities for others. He's still young and he will have many off games, but he just needs one good chance in a game to make a difference.

As for today's game, its over, forget about the Scottish Cup and concentrate on securing 3rd or 2nd place in the league.

Not in the slightest. McHugh's goals per minutes in a Motherwell jersey, I would imagine, is pretty good. I'm not saying Ojaama is a bad player but he's not as good as is being made out on here and today he did nothing.

If higdon seen his run when Ojaama played the dummy .........

A saving grace after a defeat is this place. Fuck me, some people. I'm as frustrated as anyone but some of the comments are ridiculous.

-"Team lacks bottle when it matters" what a load of shite. How about the QF and SF last year. The two times we beat Saints this year to keep them at bay. Beating Hearts 3 scud at Fir Park when they were right on our tails. Or beating Hibs last week to cement our advantage in third.

-"Ojamaa overated" I can think of a few players we have who are overated, he's not one of them. He was the only who looked like doing anything till Humphrey came on.

- "Hateley been abysmal all season" WTF? The boy's been a model of consistency for almost his entire Motherwell career and this season has 4 goals and 8 or 9 assists. There's a reason he's played every game since he's came to Motherwell and that Gannon, Brown & McCall have picked him everyweek. He was poor today but the abuse he was getting was well over the top.

We were poor today but calm the fuck down. The team appears to have become victims of their own success. Yes we all wanted to win but we're still having a fantastic season. We're Motherwell and we have no devine right to win these games, under McCall more often than not we've risen to the occasion in the big games. Aberdeen swamped the midfield and we couldn't play through them so we resorted to pumping long balls until we brought the Humph on( a must start next week). Thought McCall should have changed it sooner but even though we were fairly ganting today a wee bit of luck we could have nicked a replay near the end.

Oh and why the fuck were folk giving a standing ovation to Lasley? He let us and his teamates down badly with a horrific challenge and he gets applause for that. Fuck that. And he now puts himelf out of several games for the run in. Crazy.

Randolph, Law & Humphrey get pass marks. Clancy and Ojamaa were not as bad as others. Big reaction needed for next week. Humphrey, Carswell both need to come in for me. Can't afford to let today ruin our leage form, got to dust ourselves down, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and move on.

• Like 4