Motherwell Vs Aberdeen, League Game

Well 4 Europe

Was saying on the way out that I thought it was the most important win of the whole season so far. Considering we had to play three players in very important positions one of whom was an under 19 making his debut, to take all three points is brilliant stuff. Think Ojamma was trebled up on sometimes which more or less nullified him but that's a compliment and he'll have better days.

This sums up Aberdeen fans for me. You don't deserve anything other than where you are....

"not good enough. i really think that there should be an amicable parting of the ways between ourselves and brown, regardless of whatever happens in the scottish cup. he is not the the man to take us to where we should be, ie top four minimum every season. plus his football style is defensive gash. shows how bad scottish football is when the likes of motherwell and st johnstone are in the top 5 or so."

He's right in one respect though, a club like Aberdeen should be finshing in the top four most seasons.

Why ?

Take away the Ferguson era and you will see Aberdeen are historically an ordinary club. Their fans are still deluding themselves with regard to their real standing in Scottish football.

They will never be anything like a force in the game until they start accepting the level they are at and allow a manager/ coach a wee bit of time to create a team.

Well are ahead of them at the moment on and off the park and long may it continue.

Here's a statement and a half:

Ojamaa needs to learn from Leo Messi. He's our most dangerous player so teams double/treble up on him. This means there are players who have noone marking them. A wee bit more passing from the lad wouldn't go a miss, but I certainly am not calling for him to take the dribbling out of his game.

.Quick mention to Jonny Page who was fab today and MUST keep his place for next week. :drinks:

Agree he had a good game. But remember last season we played Celtic and won 2-0 with a makeshift back two pairing. McCall then decided to let them have another bash on the basis of that performance and we went up to Inverness and got whacked 3-0. Pleased he did well, proved a point but we need to play the experienced two if they are fit as youngsters are erratic. Sure it will come for Page and Cummins in time but keeping them in every week would be suicidal. And lets remember Aberdeen barely tested them.,

Agree he had a good game. But remember last season we played Celtic and won 2-0 with a makeshift back two pairing. McCall then decided to let them have another bash on the basis of that performance and we went up to Inverness and got whacked 3-0. Pleased he did well, proved a point but we need to play the experienced two if they are fit as youngsters are erratic. Sure it will come for Page and Cummins in time but keeping them in every week would be suicidal. And lets remember Aberdeen barely tested them.,

I'd go along with that. Both lads did well but our defence will have more testing days. Jon Page is of course the more exeprienced and maybe now has earned himself more game time. Adam Cummins needs to be brought on more carefully with perhaps a sprinkling of appearances from the bench in less critical games.

Remember Willie Kinniburgh though? He began really well as a fresh faced youngster in our hour of need but never really progressed.

For young lads breaking into the first team there's along way to go. Next week will prove a bigger challenge and we should play more experienced defenders, if we are able to do so.

Why ?

Take away the Ferguson era and you will see Aberdeen are historically an ordinary club. Their fans are still deluding themselves with regard to their real standing in Scottish football.

They will never be anything like a force in the game until they start accepting the level they are at and allow a manager/ coach a wee bit of time to create a team.

Well are ahead of them at the moment on and off the park and long may it continue.

Why? Well, for starters they're one club in an area with a decent population. Aberdeen isn't really affected by the west of Scotland Old Firm shite, so they could (and have in the past) draw a decent crowd to most games.

Their match attendance many times doubles what we get at Fir Park, and that's at a time when Aberdeen aren't doing well and we're fighting for 2nd place & the Champions League!

Their budget for players surpasses anything we can offer as well.Whether we like it or not, they're a bigger club than we are.

You're right in saying that the board haven't allowed their managers time to create a decent side in recent times, and their youth system maybe isn't the best, but to say that a club the size of Aberdeen shouldn't be shooting for the top four most seasons is ridiculous.

Why? Well, for starters they're one club in an area with a decent population. Aberdeen isn't really affected by the west of Scotland Old Firm shite, so they could (and have in the past) draw a decent crowd to most games.

Their match attendance many times doubles what we get at Fir Park, and that's at a time when Aberdeen aren't doing well and we're fighting for 2nd place & the Champions League!

Their budget for players surpasses anything we can offer as well.Whether we like it or not, they're a bigger club than we are.

You're right in saying that the board haven't allowed their managers time to create a decent side in recent times, and their youth system maybe isn't the best, but to say that a club the size of Aberdeen shouldn't be shooting for the top four most seasons is ridiculous.

Sorry but I cannot agree with your post. You quite clearly said ‘finishing’ in the top 4 then stated my comment questioning this was ridiculous, changing your wording to ‘shooting’ for the top 4 .As I am sure you will concede that is two different concepts and the point I made re them was basically they are not as wonderful a club as some would believe and every club should be striving to attain a top position in the league.

I also would suggest that the fact they have a larger potential supporter catchment does not guarantee success. Following your line of thought, judging by the average attendance table for last season the Edinburgh clubs should be finishing in the top 4 as well. Dundee Utd could also been thrown into the equation as despite sharing a city with another club are not far behind in supporter numbers.

Your assertion re the Old Firm (an obsolete term now) is a bit skewed as well as, whilst I accept it is not as much a factor as in the WoS , it does still have a bearing on them as there are a fair no. of Rangers and Celtic supporters clubs in the North East.

2010/2011 average attendances

Celtic 48968

Rangers 45304

Hearts 14184

Hibernian 11755

Aberdeen 9071

Dundee Utd 7389

Kilmarnock 6426

Motherwell 5254

Inverness 4526

St Mirren 4449

St Johnstone 3841

Hamilton 2897

Here's a statement and a half:

Ojamaa needs to learn from Leo Messi. He's our most dangerous player so teams double/treble up on him. This means there are players who have noone marking them. A wee bit more passing from the lad wouldn't go a miss, but I certainly am not calling for him to take the dribbling out of his game.

There is a wee bit of truth in that. We've got a couple of players that defences really struggle with, Humphrey had 3 on him for spells in the second half yesterday as did Ojamaa. We just need to capitalise on the space that creates.

Sorry but I cannot agree with your post. You quite clearly said ‘finishing’ in the top 4 then stated my comment questioning this was ridiculous, changing your wording to ‘shooting’ for the top 4 .As I am sure you will concede that is two different concepts and the point I made re them was basically they are not as wonderful a club as some would believe and every club should be striving to attain a top position in the league.

I also would suggest that the fact they have a larger potential supporter catchment does not guarantee success. Following your line of thought, judging by the average attendance table for last season the Edinburgh clubs should be finishing in the top 4 as well. Dundee Utd could also been thrown into the equation as despite sharing a city with another club are not far behind in supporter numbers.

Your assertion re the Old Firm (an obsolete term now) is a bit skewed as well as, whilst I accept it is not as much a factor as in the WoS , it does still have a bearing on them as there are a fair no. of Rangers and Celtic supporters clubs in the North East.

Look, I have no intention of arguing with you about the potential Aberdeen have.

To put it simply, the top two spaces in the SPL should be contested by the Glasgow greens & blues, and the other two league positions should be contested by the two Edinburgh clubs, Dundee United & Aberdeen.

Going by club size the fans of these clubs should believe that they'll be challenging for the top four every season, and should consider finishing outwith those positions to be failure. I think that any Aberdeen fan who believes a top six finish and a decent cup run is acceptable is selling his club short. Such an aim should (and in my case it does) apply to my club and others like us.

As you've said though, the board at Aberdeen and some of the other clubs I mentioned above have no intention of giving any manager long enough to build the foundation needed to push their clubs into those positions.

In closing, long may it continue :thumbup:

Aberdeen got exactly what they deserved. Fuck all!! Last sunday was a one off from them in recent years in terms of both performance and support.

Can only agree with other posters comments regarding the youngsters and a fantastic effort all round from everyone else, if not entirely polished.

I was screaming dogs abuse at Brines. He shat out of sending Constadine off for a number of second bookable offences and for another player leading with the elbow. However, having watched the highlights, Jennings appears to have got away with a, albeit unintentional, handball in the box near the end. Brines is still murder though.

As others have posted this was a great result given the circumstances and the youngsters who stepped in are due all the praise in the world because apart from a shaky beginning they had a terrific game on this evidence have a big future. The are a credit to themselves and the youth coaching set-up at FP. These guys are the future lifeblood of the club and its great to watch them starting out on what will hopefully be successful careers.

Some have mentioned Ojamaa maybe wasn't quite himself yesterday but he took an almighty thump from Considine early on (for which the referee rightly booked Considine) and hewas the subject of quite a number of hefty challenges thereafter so he maybe was feeling the effect of these as the game progressed. On the other hand he's only 21 and hasn't missed a game since he arrived and his style of play does burn up the juice so maybe he needs rested for a couple of weeks just to let him re-charge his batteries.

One thing that did puzzle me yesterday,was how Considine was allowed to remain on the park - this guy's nothing but a thug - he was on a yellow card but time after time he commmitted fouls and was allowed to get away with them. Most un-Brines like as he usually loves flashing his red card.dry.gif

Oh and the point made by Noah Dosser about Aberdeen being a middle-of-the-road football club apart from the Alex Ferguson years was well-made - if you don't believe it just look at the records.

Considering the makeshift central defence that we had today, it was an excellent result.

Was there ever any doubt? We are the best provincial team in the country by a mile, we have one of the best youth development programmes in the country so when the need arises we simply promote another young lad to do the job. It's what we do best, and Aberdeen were never going to fluke another win like last week.

• Like 1

Look, I have no intention of arguing with you about the potential Aberdeen have.

To put it simply, the top two spaces in the SPL should be contested by the Glasgow greens & blues, and the other two league positions should be contested by the two Edinburgh clubs, Dundee United & Aberdeen.

Going by club size the fans of these clubs should believe that they'll be challenging for the top four every season, and should consider finishing outwith those positions to be failure. I think that any Aberdeen fan who believes a top six finish and a decent cup run is acceptable is selling his club short. Such an aim should (and in my case it does) apply to my club and others like us.

As you've said though, the board at Aberdeen and some of the other clubs I mentioned above have no intention of giving any manager long enough to build the foundation needed to push their clubs into those positions.

In closing, long may it continue :thumbup:

What a lot of fucking shite

• Like 2

The whole post mate.

Okay then, outside the Old Firm the two Edinburgh clubs, Dundee United & Aberdeen aren't the biggest clubs in the league, their fans shouldn't believe they should be challenging for the top four every season, and they should consider top six to be a successful season.

Aberdeen do give their managers enough time to build a foundation and push the club forward.

Does that sound better? :doh:

Everything apart from the bit about the managers sounds a lot better, yes.

Nah, even the bit about the managers sounds better than the other nonsense, after all Aberdeens last few managers have been in place longer than the average Motherwell manager of the same period.

David basically your original posts argue very much like a city club fan, ie we're bigger so should win every game which to most Motherwell fans = shite

Without wanting to enter into the argument but a topical tweet from Richard Gordon earlier today mentioned that....

Motherwell now within 5 points of Aberdeen in all-time SPL table. Well 646, Dons 651, Killie 655, Hearts 772, Rangers 1156, Celtic 1221

You can now ofcourse argue what that exactly proves! :popcorn:

David basically your original posts argue very much like a city club fan, ie we're bigger so should win ever game which to most Motherwell fans = shite

"win every game"? Yeah, that's what I said.

When you take resources and suchlike into consideration the clubs I mentioned are the ones who should be challenging for the top four most seasons. They can offer higher wages than most of the other clubs, can't they? Unless we can match the money that the likes of Hearts, Hibs & Aberdeen can offer?

They draw, on average, higher crowds than we do. Hearts averaged around 13-14,000 last season, whilst Aberdeen weighed in at around the 11,000 mark.

We averaged around 5,200.

To disagree that their fans have every right to believe that they should be challenging for the top four most seasons is ridiculous. I'm not saying that they should expect to finish there, but if you're a fan of Aberdeen, Hearts or Dundee United you're not going to take a top six finish as a successful season. You're going to expect your team to be challenging for top four.

On the other hand, I think it's fair to say that most Motherwell fans begin the season under the impression that a top six finish and a decent cup run is a realistic aim, with anything above that being a bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with those clubs failing, and I'm certainly not saying that we don't deserve to be where we are, as we do. Facts are facts though. The clubs I mentioned are bigger clubs than we are.

This only serves to highlight how well run we are, and how shrewd our management team has been this season.

What's the date in Aberdeen? 11th May 1983. And until they remove that massive chip on their collective shoulders, that's the date it'll remain.

• Like 2