Champions League Qualifiers Or Winning The League Cup?

David

64 members have voted

1. 1. Champions League Qualifiers Or The League Cup?

• Champions League Qualifiers
    • Winning The League Cup
    • Can't decide

Taking the conversation from the Kilmarnock match thread I thought this would make for an interesting discussion on its own.

Basically, if you had the choice of Motherwell winning the league cup this season or getting into the qualifiers for the Champions League, which would you prefer and why?

We have won all Scotlands major trophies, but never graced europes top competition and are ulikely to ever have the opportunity again. To do it in my lifetime and have the opportunity to attend......well, its a no brainer.

• Like 2

It's a tough call because i have never seen Motherwell lift a trophy, having said that I've never seen them play in the CL and certainly never expected to see that in my wildest dreams so I'm voting for the CL. We have the opportunity to lift a domestic trophy every season, granted we have only made 2 finals in my time but I still think that this is a one-off to be savoured.

It's a tough call because i have never seen Motherwell lift a trophy, having said that I've never seen them play in the CL and certainly never expected to see that in my wildest dreams so I'm voting for the CL. We have the opportunity to lift a domestic trophy every season, granted we have only made 2 finals in my time but I still think that this is a one-off to be savoured.

I think that's a fair point. For those of us lucky enough to have been at Hampden when we won the Cup, the chance of a CL game in our lifetime is possibly a more attractive option.

If you haven't seen us win a Cup, then I can see how that would be a better option.

Scottish Cup would be a closer call, but the League Cup doesn't do a lot for me these days, and the CL is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. (Mind you, I thought that about cup finals in 1991, and we've been to another two since then.)

Tough choice but I went for the CL.

I have seen us lift the Scottish Cup back in 1991 and rub shoulders alongside the like of Borrusia Dortmund.

To get back amongst the elite of European competition is like a dream come true.

I'm in the exact same boat as u, only problem is I wont see us in the champions league :(

We've won every domestic honour in Scottish Football and I think only 7 other teams have done that. There are only 3 clubs in Scotland to have taken part in the Champions League, for us to be the 4th is something that we should be shouting from the rooftops.

The League Cup is well out-of-date, doesnt allow you acces to Europe and you only need to win 4 matches to get the trophy. To gain entry to the Champs League is much more difficult and a far bigger deal in my opinion.

Was still pretty jealous when I watched Killie lift the cup though.

I thought Killie became the 9th ?

That might be right, mate. I thought they were the 8th club but couldnt be sure

Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee United, Motherwell, Hibs, Killie and ???? (I'd guess at Dundee?)

Regardless, only 2 non-city teams to have won all 3 and one of those only managed the hat-trick at the weekend.

Tough choice but I went for the CL.

I have seen us lift the Scottish Cup back in 1991 and rub shoulders alongside the like of Borrusia Dortmund.

To get back amongst the elite of European competition is like a dream come true.

Provided we get past the hazerdous prospect of ending up in the middle of nowhere 2 or 3 times !!!

That might be right, mate. I thought they were the 8th club but couldnt be sure

Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee United, Motherwell, Hibs, Killie and ???? (I'd guess at Dundee?)

Regardless, only 2 non-city teams to have won all 3 and one of those only managed the hat-trick at the weekend.

Indeed and hearty congratulations to them for joining the club!

Provided we get past the hazerdous prospect of ending up in the middle of nowhere 2 or 3 times !!!

LOL, I thought the Faeroes trip was fun and that was travelling with the club!

And if I remember correctly we drunk the 1st ferry dry :drinks: