Motherwell Vs St Johnstone Discussion Thread

David

I think Law on the left is fine, as long as he actually plays out on the left. Drifting inside more and more is fine if there's someone covering, but if we end up with Craig and Mackay overlapping on the left on Hammell, that will cause us problems.

Imagine they'll go with Riordan left unless Croft is fit again, which would suit Hateley fine, as he's never had masses of pace, just got to get tight.

Morrs/Davidson/Adams have the ability to cause us trouble in the middle. They dominated the 3-0 game at Fir Park earlier in the season, so we need Lasley and Jennings in there to be strong.

I would say a win is a must as is scoring first. A big bonus for us is the fact they will be missing Sandaza and Croft, their 2 best players imho.

St Johnstone were poor against DDee United, so I expect them to be better next week, but if we can get back to our better form I think we will win by the odd goal.

Drop Hateley, Daley and Carswell and bring in Lasley Murphy and Saunders.

I'd agree up to a point. Defence needs bolstering and I'd be tempted to reintroduce Steve Saunders IF he's ready. Tom Hately is going through a dodgy patch just now as is Steve Hammell. I think Keith Lasley is almost an automatic pick but I'd bring back Henrik, not Jamie Murphy to replace Omar Daley. It has to be a 4-4-2 formation. If Henrik is not favoured then Bob McHugh. Jamie has lost his confidence and that was plain to see today.

Stuart McCall has a big job to boost morale before next weekend. We must respect St Johnstone and assume that our every error will be punished - they simply can't be allowed to get anywhere near Darren Randolph. The players must know that a 1-0 win is simply not good enough ...we have to go out and crush them.

However he does it, SM needs to really fire the squad up.

Are Morris and Craig back? Both were missing yesterday.

Based on form post Rangers speculation, Samdaza won't be much of a loss.

Will be, aye, both were suspended but I presume are back. They're a much better team with them in it.

It would appear in some media outlets that Dun Utd are the favourites for that Champions League berth. If they finish third they deserve it as they have been on a fantastic run these last few months. In saying that it will be a MASSIVE disappointment to us....but we should hopefully console ourselves with Europa League football if the 'worst' happens.

Dun Utd having an early kick off on Saturday is a bonus for them in my opinion. They are the form side and coping better than us with the pressure and they know a win will put them on third on goal difference. Motherwell going in to that game in fourth puts a fair bit of pressure on us. A win secures Europa League football in my mind and either reopens a three point advantage over United or extends it to six. Eight clear of St Johnstone with three to play? See yese. A massive carrot right there.

2-1 us. Very, very, nervy victory.

Fifth will get you into Europe as well won't it?

Slightly off topic but if we are faced with Champions League football against the likes of Benfica (oot!) and no drop down into the Europa League, I think I'd rather have a round or two in our old pal and another shot at the Play Off round. Might be alone in that though. Fourth, like finishing 6th to Hibs 5th a few seasons ago, might actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

It would appear in some media outlets that Dun Utd are the favourites for that Champions League berth. If they finish third they deserve it as they have been on a fantastic run these last few months. In saying that it will be a MASSIVE disappointment to us....but we should hopefully console ourselves with Europa League football if the 'worst' happens.

Dun Utd having an early kick off on Saturday is a bonus for them in my opinion. They are the form side and coping better than us with the pressure and they know a win will put them on third on goal difference. Motherwell going in to that game in fourth puts a fair bit of pressure on us. A win secures Europa League football in my mind and either reopens a three point advantage over United or extends it to six. Eight clear of St Johnstone with three to play? See yese. A massive carrot right there.

2-1 us. Very, very, nervy victory.

Fifth will get you into Europe as well won't it?

Slightly off topic but if we are faced with Champions League football against the likes of Benfica (oot!) and no drop down into the Europa League, I think I'd rather have a round or two in our old pal and another shot at the Play Off round. Might be alone in that though. Fourth, like finishing 6th to Hibs 5th a few seasons ago, might actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I'm sure its a drop down to the playoff. So basically huge cash bonus, glamour tie/ two cracks at the europa group stages.

I will be gutted if we dont make it.

I'm sure its a drop down to the playoff. So basically huge cash bonus, glamour tie/ two cracks at the europa group stages.

I will be gutted if we dont make it.

If that IS the case then it is beyond gutted. Especially if we would be seeded in the Europa League Play Off round.

If we don't finish 3rd then it's been a complete fuck up, simple as that.We've had a big gap for weeks and we've hit a poor run at the worst possible time and let Utd into it.Nobody can seriously say they would take a europa place, how many times are we going to be this close to the cl? If we don't make it the europa place will be of little consilation.Anyway Hearts won't be as bad next week and i'd expect them to take a point, we'll beat St Johnstone 2-0.

• Like 1

If we don't finish 3rd then it's been a complete fuck up, simple as that.We've had a big gap for weeks and we've hit a poor run at the worst possible time and let Utd into it.Nobody can seriously say they would take a europa place, how many times are we going to be this close to the cl? If we don't make it the europa place will be of little consilation.Anyway Hearts won't be as bad next week and i'd expect them to take a point, we'll beat St Johnstone 2-0.

Spot on. CL or nothing from here on in. Total and utter diaster. Come the end of the season every team outside of Celtic and potentially Dundee United would swap places with us in a heartbeat.

You realise this isnae a Rangers or Dunfermline forum right? That's something to be fed up over. Our predicament isnae. No' really. Even 'failure' is a success.

Spot on. CL or nothing from here on in. Total and utter diaster. Come the end of the season every team outside of Celtic and potentially Dundee United would swap places with us in a heartbeat.

You realise this isnae a Rangers or Dunfermline forum right? That's something to be fed up over. Our predicament isnae. No' really. Even 'failure' is a success.

did you walk out the last year saying every team rather than celtic would swap places so it's ok?

this year we have the chance to do something special because of the stars alligning in a strange way. we carried a strong squad over from last season and were able to add to it due to the cup final money. rangers are up shit creek which opens up the champions league place, hearts have been a farce for a large part of the season, united lost their 4 best players and had to rebuild and hibs and aberdeen are in the gutter. the conditions are perfect for us to get 3rd and if we don't do it will be a failure.

to say that we should be happy because we're not bottom or in the shitter is crazy. we've got a good squad and it's not unrealistic to expect them to play to their abilities. if we don't get 3rd then the chances are we will have only 1 or 2 of our last 10 games. malpasesque.

If we don't get third it WILL be very disappointing but 'just' getting a Europa League place will hardly be failure. To suggest otherwise is daft......like the vast majority of your selective opinions.

reaching the europa isn't the issue.

finishing behind united will be a failure.

Why because they gained more points than us over a 38 game run? That means they were poor at the start (they were) and we were poor at the end (we are).

If they finish 3rd they have been better than us. Despite their debts they have a bigger and better squad. They have the SPLs leading goalscorer (or thereabouts). They have been able to defeat the OF this season.

Again, disappointing but not a failure.

If we get a euro place its been a successful season as far as in concerned ,but as far as entertainment value goes its been another poor spl campaign ,the fitbaw on show is mostly shite and that's a dig at the whole fuckin league not just Motherwell .Going out two cups at home to teams that finished in the bottom half of the table is my real disappointment though. Can we beat St Johnstone ,absolutely ,is the Sandancer suspended for this one by the way .

Despite their debts they have a bigger and better squad.

Doubtful, how many realistically of their players would you have ahead of what we have at our disposal?

Mackay-Steven, Daly and Russell perhaps.

But,

Pernis ahead of Randy - never in a million years.

Kenneth/Dillon ahead of Hutch/Clancy - no brainer.

Rankin/Robertson ahead of Las/Jenno - never in a million years, experience and quality against someone who can hit the odd 20 yarder and what is a decent prospect.

Dixon/Neilson or Hateley/Hammell - much of a muchness.

Russell or Murphy - granted Murphy has gone off the boil for the majority of this season, but between assists and goals over the course of a season, there will be little between the two.

Mackay-Steven or Ojamaa - Cant really say for certain as neither has proved themself for a long period in the SPL, this is GMS first season and Ojamaa has only been with us since Jan (and has either been exceptional or dreadful with little in between). No one can say that either is better than the other.

The only area they would have any sort of advantage over us is Daly ahead of Higdon. And even then is it THAT much of a difference, given that Daly has scored numerous penalties this season (more than Higdon has anyway).

As for strength in depth? They too rely on youngsters to fill in the gaps such as Watson, Dow etc - we too do similar with Saunders, McHugh, Carswell - again any degree of difference between the standard there?

No chance, they are nothing special - they just happen to have the momentum right now, and seem to be hitting the right opposition at the right time i.e Rangers immediately after going into Admin, St Johnstone missing key players, Hibs having players suspended etc. Coincidentally the only game they have failed in the past few months was Aberdeen away, and even then they hit Aberdeen pre-Semi and had a few players rested and didnt take advantage. As much as United have still had to beat the opposition, they have been fortunate in the run of games they have had. There big test will be on Sat, against a Hearts team that will be reeling after the thumping by Rangers (just again hopefully Utd dont play a Hearts team with an eye on the Final). On paper Hearts have a stronger team than both us and United, so this is not a given for Utd to take 3 points on Sat. And I fully expect come 5pm on Sat we are still in 3rd place in the league, be it 1, 3 or 6 points ahead of our nearest challengers.

Lets not forget we are undefeated against this "bigger and better" United this season - so the last game of the season is not a given..

• Like 1