2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

I had an amusing few minutes when getting off a flight from Chambery on Saturday night listening to a very drunk young frenchman who said he was from Marseille and he was meeting his agent at Edinburgh airport, did'nt get his name but given he was only about 5' 6 and about 10 stone i doubt he would survive in the SPL.

He happily told anyone who would listen that he had trials arranged with Motherwell and Celtic in the next few weeks, the security at immigration asked him a few questions. Given that the boy was drinking heavilly throughout the flight, he might just have been getting acclimatised to the west of Scotland way of life ?

for those of us not up on our technology business history, care to explain?

AOL bought Bebo for $250 million in 2008 because they imagined it would be the next big thing. They ended up having to sell it two years later for somewhere between $2 and $10 million.

See also: ITV buying Friends Reunited for £175m just as Facebook was taking off, and having to sell it again for £25m four years later.

:lol: It'd be the footballing equivalent of AOL buying Bebo.

for those of us not up on our technology business history, care to explain?

AOL bought Bebo for $250 million in 2008 because they imagined it would be the next big thing. They ended up having to sell it two years later for somewhere between $2 and $10 million.

See also: ITV buying Friends Reunited for £175m just as Facebook was taking off, and having to sell it again for £25m four years later.

Jokes always ruined when you have to explain thepunchline laugh1.gif

Seen that on the sky website rumors section we have aparently accepted 1.05million from crystal palace for higdon plus addons

As much as I like the big man that would be good business if true

Got to agree. I'm a big fan of Higdon, but if this rumour were to come to fruition, it'd be a phenomenal piece of business by the club, and not one we could afford to turn down. I'd fear for the rest of the season unless we could get a decent replacement though.

From link below on Palace messageboard

http://www.holmesdal...=106&tid=128708

"Its a load of TOSH, and the reason I know is because I started the rumor.

My cousin who lives in Penge (who I speak to regular from Bradford) is so so gullible, one of those people who would believe you if you said the government were building a max security prison on Mars to stop escapes.

I told him that those rumor sites are BU**s*** and utter BU**SH*T at that, but alas he didn't believe me.

So I told him I would send a rumor to Sky Sports purporting to be the physio at Motherwell saying that Motherwell have accepted a bid for Higdon from Crystal Palace for £1.05+addons."

Could have at least made it believeable the fud. I mean since when is anyone going to offer money like that for one of our players knowing full well they could get whoever they wanted a tenth of that price. :rolleyes:

I genuinely think we'd sell our full starting XI for a million.

Sadly the value of our team isn't much higher than that. Reckon if we sold every player for what the club wanted, we would raise maybe £2m give or take. At any other club or level, many players would sell for £5/6m given their actual ability - mainly Randolph, law, murphy (gone of course), ojamaa... In a premier league team that's the price they would get for them.

Agreed. Whereas we might get 1.5m if half of them were still on long contracts!

IMO the clubs done the right thing letting the contracts run down while there is still all the uncertainty over TV deals and sponsorship for next few seasons.

If a foaming at the mouth Rangers fan type worst case scenario was to unfold, we will have an instant break given we will probably chop £10-£12k off the wage bill instantly. If those guys were on long term contracts then we would be up shit creek.

Best case scenario there is no financial disaster, budgets carry on as before, we just need to rebuild the team. Given we will have plenty spare wage from the exodus, it could be done.

As for the selling the team for £1m post. I was told from a reliable source at the start of the season that MFC were not accepting less than £1m for Hutchy back in the summer.

As a genuine question, how do people suggest we get better prices for our players?

Clubs know our situation, they know we have no money, no facility for credit, and have to balance the books. They offer what they offer, we can't make them offer more, we can only turn down what they offer if it doesn't meet our valuation.

I understand the frustration, but what else are we supposed to do?

I'd be interested to see how these transfer fees are ironed out. I assume things like the cost of developmment, time at the club, players current wage, age/experience, cost of replacement, etc, are factors. I'm sure these aren't arbitrary amounts, and there must be some sort of accounting practices for it considering the size of the industry. Based on this it may be that we as a club aren't getting ripped of as much as we think.