Pitch Invasion

gunn

It's always wee kids and chavs on the pitch. Literally the most pointless 'ritual' around. Run on the pitch, get told to get off, get off the pitch, watch the players do their lap of honour half an hour later than you should've.

I've been at 2 games this season with invasions, they're just so pointless.

If Rangers are allowed to stay in the SPL I think we should invade the park.

What do you say to that Motherwell FC?

It seems that the threat of a friendly pitch invasion can solicit a response

but a polite but direct question on RFC is a step too far

Hmmmmm

• Like 3

Folks,

The reasons why we don't have invasions, as people have mentioned, is because the authorities frown on it - quite heavily as it happens.

We've not had one at Fir Park for six seasons now and that, combined with other factors, means our relationship with the relevant authorities both locally and nationally is much, much better (which is why we've had majority Police-free games this season and, as such, a much more relaxed stance on standing, drums, flags and what have you).

So no, please stay in the stands as per usual and the players will, without doubt, acknowledge the quite brilliant support we've had this year!

That puts the club in an even stronger position when it comes to demonstrating our capability to 'safely' steward a match at the ground and will allow us to continue to make progress on the matchday experience, free from the occasional over-exuberance of the authorities in most matches.

Cheers,

Why do they frown on it though?

We know why, not allowed to enjoy yourself but I thought we'd got over that of late.

It's like when you question a steward telling ye to sit down.

'Why?'

'Health & Safety'

:blink:

That's not a reason, neither is 'Cos I said so'

Anyway about this Rangers Newco thing..................

It's always wee kids and chavs on the pitch. Literally the most pointless 'ritual' around. Run on the pitch, get told to get off, get off the pitch, watch the players do their lap of honour half an hour later than you should've.

I've been at 2 games this season with invasions, they're just so pointless.

I don't remember anyone telling you to get off at fir park, it was just expected and most people just left by the gates.

The short answer as I understand it, is that it costs the club money.

If fans invade the pitch they get fined. If it happens again, they increase the severity, if you do it again, the fine gets larger still and so on....

Killie never got fined last day of season 2 years ago and there must have been thousands on pitch.

Killie never got fined last day of season 2 years ago and there must have been thousands on pitch.

Aye but we've been done that many times in recent years, think we've been fined twice.

No the point though. Used to love a pitch invasion last game of the season, never harmed anyone and was a bit of fun. Happens all the time down south and nobody seems to bother too much.

Tempting though it may be to hold a pitch invasion I'd far rather spend the cash on players than paying a fine to the authorities or in increased policing bills next season. Its a no brainer.

I'd rather ask the question why it is deemed unacceptable when all it ever was was a bit of fun

My ten year old watched all the English games decide promotion and relegation and asked why he wasn't allowed to do it at Fir Park after such a monumental season...

'Why?'

'Health & Safety'

:blink:

That's not a reason, neither is 'Cos I said so'

regulation answer from officialdom ....Elf n Safety .......shite answer, but its the only one we'll ever get !

Look, if you can't be trusted to stand in an area of the ground called...er...the stand, you can hardly be trusted to walk across a fairly flat grass surface without endangering yourselves and possibly others.

I still say the solution is for fans to apply for some sort of license that proves they can stand up and walk normally without falling over, and unsupervised... . :lol:

Look, if you can't be trusted to stand in an area of the ground called...er...the stand, you can hardly be trusted to walk across a fairly flat grass surface without endangering yourselves and possibly others.

I still say the solution is for fans to apply for some sort of license that proves they can stand up and walk normally without falling over, and unsupervised... . :lol:

Won't allow it, Health & Safety, believe me we've tried :rolleyes:

Coming from someone who works in "elf 'n safety" it really fucking pisses me right off that this is the stock answer rolled out at every fuckin' opportunity in so many walks of life to try and stop folks from having a fuckin' good time and enjoying themselves!!

I'd rather ask the question why it is deemed unacceptable when all it ever was was a bit of fun

this is why

POLICE fearful of violence when Motherwell host title-chasing Celtic yesterday told fans to keep off the pitch.

Any trophy presentation could be thrown into chaos if Motherwell fans participate in their traditional end--of-season pitch invasion.

Security at Sunday's match at Fir Park is to be stepped up after it was revealed Parkhead fans were able to buy briefs reserved for the home section.

Celtic will be champions if they win the game and SPL chief Lex Gold will fly in by helicopter with the trophy.

Hoops winger Ross Wallace was injured last May when home fans invaded Fir Park.

Match commander, Superintendent David Barr, said: 'I have real concerns for safety if thousands of people suddenly flood on to the pitch.'

Fir Park is a sell-out for the match, which will be shown live on the Setanta satellite channel.

Hundreds of Celtic fans last week bought tickets intended for home fans.

Superintendent Barr added: 'If supporters are found where they should not be, stewards will eject them from Fir Park.'

A Motherwell FC spokeswoman said: 'We ask fans not to invade the pitch at the end.'

A Celtic spokeswoman added: 'We would ask supporters to follow the direction of police and stewards at all times on Sunday.' #MOTHERWELL players will wear armbands urging people to tackle the stigma of mental health when they play Celtic

MOTHERWELL are set to become the latest club to ban Celtic from getting the title trophy at their ground, if the champions manage to retain it.

For they fear a riot at Fir Park on the last day of the season when Celtic are there if the Hoops take the title.

Martin O'Neill's men have already been told by Hearts there will be no title party at Tynecastle if the Hoops clinch it there in a fortnight.

Now Motherwell are on the brink of doing the same when Celtic end the campaign there.

For they have major worries that what has become a traditional pitch invasion by their fans after 'Well's last home game of the season could lead to bitter clashes with Celtic supporters.

The Lanarkshire club were in trouble last year when Celtic Bhoy Ross Wallace was assaulted as he tried to escape down the tunnel, with Motherwell fans on the pitch.

Motherwell supporters are believed to want their own end-of-season to thank their team's players for a campaign which has seen them finish in the top six and reach the CIS League Cup Final. But last night Motherwell security supremo Ken Davies refused to comment, referring all enquiries to a statement by Strathclyde Police on the club website.

The statement warns fans they will be arrested if they encroach on to the pitch.

It also says their actions would "tarnish the good name of Motherwell FC" and could result in a bumper fine for the club.

Celtic and SPL bosses now face a major headache over just where and when the championship trophy would be handed over if it is retained.

If Celtic clinch the title against Hearts at Tynecastle on Sunday, May 15, they won't get the trophy there, after the Edinburgh-club vetoed any presentation on safety grounds.

Celtic were believed to be thinking of planning to open Parkhead that Sunday night, for the SPL presentation party in front of 60,000.

But that too could face problems on security grounds from Strathclyde Police.

And Setanta Television are bound to be unhappy at missing out on the gala occasion at the end of their live coverage of the Hearts-Celtic match.

ps. superintendent barr was talking shite.

Coming from someone who works in "elf 'n safety" it really fucking pisses me right off that this is the stock answer rolled out at every fuckin' opportunity in so many walks of life to try and stop folks from having a fuckin' good time and enjoying themselves!!

I blame Rangers :) One of the objections to all-seater stadia was that it would send admission prices through the roof, but the Taylor Report pointed out that it only cost £6 for a seat at Ibrox, as opposed to £4 for the average terracing spot, so concluded that the difference wouldn't be "prohibitive".

this is why

ps. superintendent barr was talking shite.

It's a' shite, Wallace wasn't injured at all, someone accidentally clipped him on the way past at worst, I don't believe for a minute that he was deliberately kicked and I don't believe it was serious. That is about a specific circumstance that could very likely cause a riot i.e. ra Shellic winning the league at our ground, obviously that's not a good environment for a 'friendly' pitch invasion but it is entirely different to the discussion we are having about a good natured invasion to celebrate the end of the season. Stands to reason it wouldn't be possible against the Smellies but it is perfectly viable for run of the mill matches where there is very little bitterness towards opposing fans.

It's a' shite, Wallace wasn't injured at all, someone accidentally clipped him on the way past at worst, I don't believe for a minute that he was deliberately kicked

Really? Even in the Motherwell support there are plenty of eejits who would do exactly that.

The bottom line is that in the 70s and 80s, there were lots of tanked up morons who, on occasion, made going to a football match a miserable experience. That is why the polis and the authorities came down heavy handed, and why alcohol was banned from the grounds.

We can argue whether it was an overreaction or not, but it's clear that is why all the extra rules and regs were put in place. It's going to take a lot longer to rid ourselves of these constraints now than it ever did to introduce them.

Really? Even in the Motherwell support there are plenty of eejits who would do exactly that.

The bottom line is that in the 70s and 80s, there were lots of tanked up morons who, on occasion, made going to a football match a miserable experience. That is why the polis and the authorities came down heavy handed, and why alcohol was banned from the grounds.

We can argue whether it was an overreaction or not, but it's clear that is why all the extra rules and regs were put in place. It's going to take a lot longer to rid ourselves of these constraints now than it ever did to introduce them.

Nae wonder he didn't make it at Celtic then if he couldn't out run a pissed up ned on for a wee pitch invasion. :rolleyes:

It's a major over-reaction to a minor alleged incident but then par for the course where fitba' is concerned

Why do they frown on it though?

We know why, not allowed to enjoy yourself but I thought we'd got over that of late.

Can I ask what enjoyment you get out of running on the park , then getting back to your seat?

The phenomenon is lost on me.

For whoever quoted me, both occasions this season I happily enjoyed singing "off, off off" with the fans around me until they got off. In one occasion it actually stopped the players and management coming out and acknowledging the fans, as it was freezing and everyone buggered off when the chavs jumped on the pitch.

And for what it's worth, I can't remember what happened when Motherwell had a pitch invasion. I'm guessing I went to the pub, as I'd rather see the players celebrating than chavs.

FC is 100% right. At the end there was a melee of bodies all rushing and bumping into/falling over each other. It was reported as fact that Wallace had been deliberately kicked but he didn't actually see anything and there was never proof.

Can I ask what enjoyment you get out of running on the park , then getting back to your seat?

The phenomenon is lost on me.

I don't run on the park, and haven't done so for many a year, but I do remember it as a kid and it was exciting to set foot on the hallowed turf and maybe even get to shake one of the players hands as he went off the pitch. Said earlier I used to use it as a shortcut to the pub but later I just stood up at my seat laughing at the weans getting a buzz from just being on that turf.

My argument is solely about the overzealous approach to enforcing a ban on what was nothing more than a celebration, very few occasions was there a sinister element to it and that was generally when a big away support had just seen their team cuffed. No-one has ever given the reasons for a change of approach, Health n Safety is not a reason and the pishy arguments aboot yon poor wee lamb wot played for ra Shellic have never been proven. Excuses excuses as always

FC is 100% right. At the end there was a melee of bodies all rushing and bumping into/falling over each other. It was reported as fact that Wallace had been deliberately kicked but he didn't actually see anything and there was never proof.

i'm fairly certain someone did boot him in the arse as they ran by. more of a sidefooter than a full blooded kick but unless my memory is playing tricks on me it happened.

we had a bye kick at the end of the game and most of the players gathered round the tunnel for a sharp exit. the valiant ross stuck to his left wing task and then began to wander towards the other touchline seemingly unware of the tsumani of bams about to envelop him from the east.

My argument is solely about the overzealous approach to enforcing a ban on what was nothing more than a celebration, very few occasions was there a sinister element to it and that was generally when a big away support had just seen their team cuffed. No-one has ever given the reasons for a change of approach, Health n Safety is not a reason and the pishy arguments aboot yon poor wee lamb wot played for ra Shellic have never been proven. Excuses excuses as always

Ok, put yourself in the players boots, walking off the pitch and 1000 fans are steaming towards you? There isn't a health and safety issue?