The Turning Point

fat_tony

From all the matches throughout the season, which one do you think was the most crucial in securing 3rd spot?

Was it the way we started the season, thumping ICT, beating Hearts or getting a late winner vs St Mirren? Or was it the continuation of that form before Christmas, or the way we clawed our form back with a series of results in January? Or, was it the way we ended the season, thumping St Johnstone and securing a scrappy but hard fought win vs Hearts?

For me, the one that turned our season around was the 3-1 win vs Dunfermline on the 24th Jan. The fans were on the player's backs, Higdon was up against it after his "offensive gesture" the week before, and losing Craigan early, some feared the worst. However, Ojamaa burst onto the scene and inspired both the team and the fans to a superb win, that was followed by other important victories soon after.

Had we lost this one though, I'm not sure if we could have recovered.

EDIT:Did have a poll, but it's dissapeared. Will re-add later on.

I'd say the turning point was when Ojamaa came off the bench at Tannadice. The wheels were coming off the bus, having lost at home to ICT and playing utter shite then we got a wee spark and ended up unlucky not to win the game, then we/he had a wee hot streak after that to get the season going again.

Craigan getting sent off and the 10 men rallying to a 3-1 win against Dunfermline shook us out of our Christmas decline and kick started a crucial run of results.

What he said.

I know this may be another separate thread but i feel lasley chipping in with some crucial goals has been vital in getting 3rd.

I think there were a few.

The first one was Inverness away. We were dreadful that day but dug out a stunning 3-2 win against the run of the game.

The next one was Dundee Utd away in January. We were 1-0 down, hadn't scored or got a point in previous three, turned in a decent 2nd half performance and got our point.

Three days later we played Dunfermline at home and this was the Craigan red card game and that really arrested the slide. It was also the first time we had won at home in months and before that game we had managed a mighty six goals at home all season!

The next game again was St Johnstone at home and they were on a real good run then and Higdon was missing and beating them 3-2 shifted the momentum back to us. Those 7 points in a week were a godsend.

The Edinburgh clubs double header was huge as well. Beating Hearts got us into third and we destroyed them. And following it up with the 4-3 win over Hibs to stretch the lead when the others didn't play gave us something to cling to and also some leeway for that tricky end to the third round of fixtures and boy did we need it.

After that the next one was the 5-1 win over Saints. Again we had to play the big game to more or less seal the deal and again we did the business.

What really did it for us was that we were very good at winning the big games though. All these European games a couple of years back have given some bang average players a lot of experience and they have learnt how to win.

• Like 2

combination of craigan getting sent off vs dunfermline and ojamma signing. This was probably the most negative this place has ever been the fans were on the players back and i think a good few 'well fans were expecting us to blow the outstanding start we had made.

Craigans red card got the crowd behind the team again and our home form that game on improved remarkably compared to what we'd seen before. I'm pretty sure we had went 8 hours without a home goal at one point.

either way what a brilliant season :notworthy:

The first one was Inverness away. We were dreadful that day but dug out a stunning 3-2 win against the run of the game.

looking back for me that win - and the win up at aberdeen a few weeks later - papered over the cracks at the time and encouraged mccall to stick with tactics that weren't working for another couple of months. i doubt we'll ever score five goals from five shots on target over two away games ever again.

novikovas' goal for hearts and our positive tactics against st johnstone was the big day for us. the fire was handy as well.

• Like 1

I'd say the turning point was when Ojamaa came off the bench at Tannadice. The wheels were coming off the bus, having lost at home to ICT and playing utter shite then we got a wee spark and ended up unlucky not to win the game, then we/he had a wee hot streak after that to get the season going again.

I would agree with that. I think I said at the time that Higdon's equalizer was a big moment in the season.

We had just came through our usual festive slump and that point, coupled with the arrival of Ojamma allowed us to kick on and make a push for third.

Also, Higdon's ban for 'doing the Higgy!' galvanized the support to get behind the team again. A wee bittie siege mentality. (Sound like a smelltic fan here)

Two games for me were crucial, well perhaps two and a half games.

The 3-1 win over Dunfermline in January was a huge result because our home form in the SPL up until then had been dire and we had gone on our usual festive period slide so we needed that win so badly that night.

The other one was the Hibs game at Fir Park. Firstly the 'Friday night experiment which was abandoned at half time with us 1-0 down and staring at a certain defeat IMO. We were absolutely awful in that first half and our home form at that time was dismal. We couldn't buy a goal never mind a win. That game being abandoned was a blessing in disguise for us because it gave us the chance to try again in February and although we found ourselves 1-0 down at half time again, we stormed back in the 2nd half to earn a very hard fought win as Hibs just wouldn't give in. Higdon's hat trick was the highlight of the season for me. I know we'll never know but I seriously doubt we'd have come back like that in the original game.

The late point at Tannadice in January.

To that moment we had been going downhill from a great start. From that moment we never really looked back. But for a phenomenal end to the season by Utd we would have had 3rd place in the bag long ago. If Utd had taken 3 points that day the end of the season would have been even more squeaky.

Beating St Johnstone 5-1 when alot of people(including myself)had United nicking third. They were on the up and we seemed to be faltering badly. The performance the guys gave that day was tremendous and definately one of the best this season.