Europa League 2012/13 Discussion Thread

David

It's now the chance to either make money (Liverpool/Inter) or have half a chance of geting through (Odense etc.) which would you prefer?

Personally I want somewhere that a budget airline fly to!!

Thats a tough one, if we get a winnable draw and get to the group stages its jackpot time. however our league for may suffer big time.

I'm gona sit on the fence and see what happens!

OK. I can now do this without getting pulled up. And, of course, just for fun.

If all seeds go through tonight, which is unlikely, then I reckon these will be the seeds in our draw group:

CSKA Moscow

AZ Alkmaar

Steaua Bucuresti

Newcastle United

Racing Genk

A few days ago it was this

Sorry for actually doing this at this point but I resurrected my old spreadsheet from the Nancy draw.

If all seeds go through in CL and EL meaning all non-seeds drop from CL then, by my reckoning seeds in our section will be:

Sporting Lisbon

Athletic Bilbao

POAK Thessaloniki

Anorthosis Famagusta

Obviously one goal in either competition for any team could completely change that.

62 teams split in to 7 groups of 8 or 10. Although UEFA haven't confirmed the only way it fits is 4 8s and 3 10s.

Teams are listed from top seed to bottom seed depending on co-efficient.

1st to 7th seed go in to groups as top seeds, 8th to 14th as 2nd seeds, and so on. 29th to 31st and 60th to 62nd seeds go in to group 5, 6 & 7 as 5th and 10th seeds repectively.

Two teams from the same country can't be in the same draw group as each other so one may be swapped in to another group with a team of the same seeding level.

As I said UEFA haven't confirmed this but this is roughly how last year's draw worked.

would prefer an easier tie with a chance to progress, then get the big names in the group stages.

I think that even one of the lesser known teams in this round would still see a decent support at Fir park, although perhaps not a lot of travelling fans.

In the past few years I've always thought the same Well_Jaggy but even the worst of the seeded teams will progress 90% of the time against us. An all British tie will bring decent income with what you'd think would be a guaranteed sell out at FP and ITV/ESPN picking it up.

Also, if it was Newcastle then the overwhelming majority of dosser who want to go to the away leg will be able to afford it/not need much time off work. Yes it'd be better if we get the big teams in the groups but I would be very satisfied getting them now since the chances of us making the groups against even the lowest ranked seeded team are very low.

I'm usually an optimist but I think I've come to realise I need to take the claret&amber specs off sometimes.

Things have changed already. Unseeded Horsens beat Elfsborg. As it stands, assuming all other seeds go through:

Sporting Lisbon

Athletic Bilbao

PAOK Thessaloniki

Anorthosis Famagusta

This is just for fun, mind.

So Bilbao through but Anorthosis have lost that 2nd goal and are now down to 10 men.

I'm away to play 5s but I'll do my best to update as soon as I get back in.

Remember, it's all for fun. Unless I've already got it right.tongue.gif

Edit - Anorthosis just conceded a 3rd. Looks like it will be all change again.