The Somme 96 Years Ago

fatcalf

My Grandfather served his country at this time and lost his 2 brothers in WW1. One was killed during the opening battle of The Somme and another in 1917. From my research the conditions those brave men were under were truly horrendous. We owe all of those who served a tremendous debt of gratitude.

I'm sure the HLI didn't have a kilt and were the only Highland reg to wear trews? Not specifically at The Somme but in general.

My Great-Grandfather was HLI during WW1 and as terrible as it sounds, I'm glad it wasn't me. Those lads went through Hell.

My late Grandpa fought in the First World War and was one of the lucky ones to come home safely.

This is also a time to remember the British servicemen in the First World War who were shot for desertion, when in fact most were suffering from shell shock. This is a moving song about those who were executed by their own side. The video contains some historic WW1 footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-MfTNwL-Q&feature=endscreen&NR=1

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Pie. Shamefully, I know very little about the HLI. I'd love to find out more but I just haven't done it. Of all the members of my family who have served, his is the service I know least about and I really should get my act together.

I have my Great Grandfather's personal effects, posted home to his widow. It was a Church friend of my Mother's who suggested searching the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site, ( I think it was), for his details. I was actually able to find the date of his death - the day before hostilities ceased - and identify his burial plot. I google earth'd over Baghdad and found the Great North Gate cemetery ............. and felt a strange feeling that there he lies in ancient Mesapotamia, cut down at the age of 37, an Irish immigrant who fought for the country that had given him sanctuary and so much hope.

My Grandfather served his country at this time and lost his 2 brothers in WW1. One was killed during the opening battle of The Somme and another in 1917. From my research the conditions those brave men were under were truly horrendous. We owe all of those who served a tremendous debt of gratitude.

Following the death of his brothers, it would appear that my Grandfather was removed from direct front line action and was attached to the Italian heavy Artillery for his mechanical skills.

I suppose it was a bit of a Saving Private Ryan scenario, having previously lost 2 of the 3 brothers in front line battles.

I can only echo the thoughts of others and remember the fallen. It was only recently that I really learned of the absolute horrors of WW1. Sadly much of thew message has been lost, understandably, through sanitisation of events. Traditional poetry, films and written records never really portrayed life in the trenches as it actually was.