New Season

Dazzer

I don't see McCall changes things radically next season.

We will bring in a central defender and a central midfielder to replace Clancy/Craigan and Jennings and that will be it.

The team will line up more or less the same as last season and I don't see Steven Saunders getting into the first XI unless someone is injured. Remember last season Saunders wasn't getting a look in and was injured on international duty.

Randolph

Hateley - Hutchinson, New Defender - Hammell

Humphrey - Lasley, Law (or New Midfielder) - Law or Murphy

Higdon, Ojamaa

I also suspect Jamie Murphy will be sold on at a cut down price much like Reynolds was, perhaps £100,000 - £150,000 early next season if nothing happens before then and I'll be amazed if no one makes a bid on Randolph. If not English clubs really need to have a word with their scouts.

As with most seasons I would be very happy with Top Six but I think it will be a struggle this term, not impossible but certainly not something that should be taken for granted. A couple of injuries to key players and I think we could struggle a bit.

Our league position is probably going to be in the lap of the gods.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm worried about the departures of Craigan, Clancy and Jennings but there is a natural concern that we might not be as strong as we were and how that will impact on our standing next season.

But that said I do think its important to keep in mind that teams can and do adapt to compensate for the loss of important players, youngsters or fringe players can stake claims and a fresh face can emerge unexpectedly that can any ease worries about departed favourites.There is plenty of evidence of that at Fir Park alone over the last few years.

It's also important to keep in mind that we are now just one of the majority of SPL clubs who can no longer afford to replace players like Jennings. Carswell might not be up to the level of "SPL quality" of the past few years, but he might be up to the level of "SPL quality" in the next few years, given that level is all but certain to drop now.

Let's not forget that the youngsters and fringe players are the future of the SPL now that Rangers have been binned (especially if they're placed in the Third Division).

It's all very well discussing a replacement for Jennings but the reality now is that it's very likely to remain just a discussion.

It's very true. It's now all about moulding a side which will compete in the SPL as it now becomes, not how it used to be. Still think we'll be there or thereabouts for the chase for 2nd. Not that I'm ruling out challenging for the title of course.........-)

Our league position is probably going to be in the lap of the gods.

i think that our league position will depend on how we do in europe. If we can qualify for the group stages of the Europa then there might be some cash available to strengthen the squad, failure to qualify will see no one being brought in.

i think that our peague position will depend on how we do in europe. If we can qualify for the group stages of the Europa then there might be some cash available to strengthen the squad, failure to qualify will see no one being brought in.

If we reach the group stages of either European tournament, we'll be dead certs to finish in the bottom six.

randolph

hateley saunders hutchinson hammell

humphrey carswell lasley law

murphy ojaama

we saw the future at ibrox in may. pace and skill.

I think that's a great side and has to be an option for the season. I'm a big fan of Higdon and generally i'd have him starting, but we have to be able to use the above side (or that general idea) as well, as there's going to be times over the course of the season where it will be more appropriate and reap rewards. The less one-dimensional and predictable we can be over a season the better, as long as everyone knows what their role is in each system and can pull it off.

I think that's a great side and has to be an option for the season. I'm a big fan of Higdon and generally i'd have him starting, but we have to be able to use the above side (or that general idea) as well, as there's going to be times over the course of the season where it will be more appropriate and reap rewards. The less one-dimensional and predictable we can be over a season the better, as long as everyone knows what their role is in each system and can pull it off.

And no reason not to mix it up withni a game. If one way is not working then try another. Certanly nowadays it's more about a squad getting you through the season and playing the best team to win each week doen't necessarily mean the same team each week.