Mcghee's Comment In Programme

Steve Diggle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play Mark - Good article.

Whole thing dedicated to the need for positive encouragement when things aren't going well.

And the pointlessness of abuse.

Agree 100% with that sentiment.

I found myself agreeing with McGhees comments to a degree but a blind man could see we weren't playing 4-3-3 last Saturday. Even if it was, there was only 1 recognised forward on with Hughes playing wide left! If he believed that formation was the correct way to go then why did he change it at half time?

The fans weren't boo'ing the players last week in the first half, they were voicing their displeasure at the ridiculous ineffective formation, that until chnaged, was sending us out the cup!!

However, the tone of his piece is spot on though. I think as fans, we have to get behind the team more and that moaning about poor control or individual mistakes will help no-one.

Agree with the sentiment, yes.

No way was it a 4-3-3, just admit you got it wrong and not do the easy thing by deflecting onto the "paying" fans for voicing there displeasure at a farce of a formation and performance in the first half that could have seen us out the Scottish Cup to lower league opposition for the second year running.

But, irrispective to all that.

Completely the wrong time to come out with comments about the fans, Motherwell have got nothing but bad press over the last couple of weeks and again today. Just fueling the fire for the tabloids to bring down the name of Motherwell FC, poor show indeed.

I think his post match comments thanking the fans for their support was just transparent bullshit, in a poor attempt to get the fans back in favour. We supported Motherwell FC long before Mark McGhee arrived and we'll be here long after he's gone, because we "care" about the club.

Show me a perfect set of supporters that never at any point get on their teams back...How about the "best supporters in the world" Celtic?, maybe we should take lessons from that lot, eh Mark?

A very badly timed artical from a Manager in the huff, because the big bad fans got on HIS back for once.

Agree 100% Bert.

I couldn't believe what I was reading yesterday - there's not a chance in hell it was a 4-3-3 last week. I don't mind the fact that McGhee attempted something different and fucked it up, but at least treat the supporters with a little bit of respect by admitting you got it wrong and had to change it at half-time, instead of spitting the dummy and trying to deflect the attention onto the fans. Davie Clarkson was a lone striker last week and it almost sent us out of the cup until McGhee realised he had to put a second forward on during the break, and that's what earned us a second crack at it.

Mark McGhee is a very good football manager but, basically, he's also a bit of a c**t.

Good on you McGee, I agree that the formation was a bit suss against St.Mirren but the rest of his comments were 100% correct.

Bert - dry yer eyes, bad timing - absolute pish, you are yet another one of those can dish it out but can't take it. He is entitled to have as much as a pop at us as that we feel that we can have at him, whenever he likes not according to the timescales that you are happy with. At least he actually gives enough of a shit to want to come out and defend his players against this crap. We all think we know a hell of a lot about football - but the truth is we don't have a clue none of us have ever played or managed at a high enough level to speak with any level of authority or knowledge none of us know the inside story at Motherwell to know what is happening behind the scenes.

Players getting booed when they are knocking their pan in on a shite surface, absolute murder to listen to and to read.

Jay have you actually met McGee?? Is so justify calling him a c**t, I've met him as many times as that I have met you and out of the two of you I think that you sound like more of a c**t.

!00% behind the sentiment of getting behind the team and not getting on the backs of players.

Where I would also take issue with MMG is as has been mentioned previously - I won't argue that you tried setting out a 4-3-3, but there was only the one recognised striker. :P

I could pick a team full of defenders and midfield players and tell them to play 4-3-3, but it's hardly likely to the most effective offensively.

We were playing the Midden, at home, in a Scottish cup match, with Sutton, Murphy and Sheridan warming the bench, whilst Clarky battled manfully.

However it's past, in MMG we trust, and the Midden are still there for the taking :P

MON RA DOSSERS

McGhees comments about the fans were spot on and I believe this was the right time to come out and say it.

If he left it any later then he'd only get accussed of bringing the MFC name into disrepute. As it is, it's been well documented in the last week about what our fan base is like. So now was the time to say it.

At the end of the day je is only doing what any good gaffer would do and stick up for his staff.

at half time in the st mirren game when Mcghee was walkin down the tunnel someone shouted 'it's not working'. Mcghee stopped and stared the guy out as if he was going to come up and smack him. Also after the game he was shouting at the crowd. Both times Leitchy had to pull him away.

I like Mcghee and think he has done wonders for Motherwell. I may be wrong, but i get the feeling that it is just a job for him and he couldnt care less what the fans think. He's always called a professional because he never loses his cool, but sometimes i wish he would come out and 'lose the head' (Craig Levein, Terry Butcher) just to show that he actually does care about the football club.

IMO the treatment some players get from the fans is shocking and does not help the team, but Mcghee has been in the game long enough to deal with it.

Just for the record - the gaffer pens all his notes completely on his own and they are published, un-edited, each issue.

Here are his notes from the Accies game...

Those supporters shouting the odds during the first-half of our match against St Mirren last Saturday were out of order.

Three weeks ago, we battered Dundee United 4-0 playing the exact same system and with the emphasis on the same aspects of our play. The pitch, not tactics, was responsible for us being unable to play our football and in the second-half we made the changes in recognition of that.

Anyone thinking we were playing one up front were also way off the mark. We were playing with three up, in a 4-3-3 not a 4-5-1, which many teams employ.

Since my arrival at Motherwell, I have been determined to play aggressive, attacking, passing football. We are going to have to compromise this until at least the pitch recovers from the inclement weather we’ve witnessed in the last few months.

Over the last 18 months, our performances and our results have been fairly steady. The pre-Christmas blip came as a result of a small squad suffering from injury, illness and suspension. As I anticipated, the recovery in results has coincided with the return of those effected players to the squad.

Throughout that difficult period, the attitude of the players that were able to play was first class. The performances weren’t always good enough to win games but I never once had to question the spirit or the ambition of the team that played in any of the games that we drew or lost.

The test for the team now is can they live up to my expectations? Can they deliver success of progression in the Scottish Cup and finishing in the top-six as I firmly believe they can and will?

The test for the supporters comes when the team isn’t playing so well and isn’t having great results. When the fans have such a great opportunity to help the team; criticising every move that breaks down, every bit of miss-control, every bad pass or being on the case of individuals doesn’t represent supporting the team.

We need you, the supporters, behind us in every game. When things are not going well, I need you to be vocal in a way that helps the team and not to boo the team off the park.

This group of players have very rarely let you down in the last 18 months. We need you to back the team and judge us at the end of the season.

I feel very strongly about this and I cannot sit back and accept unfair and misplaced criticism of the team. I’ve mentioned it in previous programme issues about the value the supporters can add to the performance.

The team does get motivated when the fans are positively behind them. We are all in this together as one and this club and team operates for the supporters – we don’t do it for any other reason.

Mark McGhee

I think his comments are spot in. What's the point in bitching and moaning about whether it was a 4-5-1 or not? Push the wingers up ten yards and it becomes a 4-3-3 anyway, which incedentally was exactly what was happening at the St. Mirren game.

IMO the treatment some players get from the fans is shocking and does not help the team, but Mcghee has been in the game long enough to deal with it.

By deal with it do you mean turn a blind eye? I think he's dealing with it pretty well considering he has managed to hold back from saying "a good chunk of our support act like wee cocks week in week out".

I agree about getting behind the players, was annoyed at some the moans aimed at them but 90% of the discontent and the grumbling was aimed at the manager. He is having a laugh if that was 4-3-3, he maybe told them to line up as a 4-3-3 but he still needs his heid read for trying to shoehorn those players into that system, Hughes as a forward?

He'd get a lot more respect for all the good things he does and is doing if he'd hold his hands up now and again when he gets it wrong.

I called for him to go earlier in the season when he seemed to have abandoned his favoured style of football and we were awful. Hasty words perhaps we have come back, but moments like that performance and again yesterday to less disastrious results I do wonder what goes through his head. Darren Smith did ok on the right hand side yesterday but again we have O'Brien asked to play out of position, now maybe he should be able to adapt better but we clearly struggled with this imbalance.

McGhee is a good manager and he seems to sya what he thinks without fear of what nayone thinks fair play to him but I don't think it ever occurs to him that he can be wrong now and again.

No way was it a 4-3-3, just admit you got it wrong and not do the easy thing by deflecting onto the "paying" fans for voicing there displeasure at a farce of a formation and performance in the first half that could have seen us out the Scottish Cup to lower league opposition for the second year running.

But, irrispective to all that.

Completely the wrong time to come out with comments about the fans, Motherwell have got nothing but bad press over the last couple of weeks and again today. Just fueling the fire for the tabloids to bring down the name of Motherwell FC, poor show indeed.

I think his post match comments thanking the fans for their support was just transparent bullshit, in a poor attempt to get the fans back in favour. We supported Motherwell FC long before Mark McGhee arrived and we'll be here long after he's gone, because we "care" about the club.

Show me a perfect set of supporters that never at any point get on their teams back...How about the "best supporters in the world" Celtic?, maybe we should take lessons from that lot, eh Mark?

A very badly timed artical from a Manager in the huff, because the big bad fans got on HIS back for once.

What he said.

This isn't the first time he has made comments about the support. Our money is what is paying his wages to a large extent, people have got every right to moan about whatever they want if they are paying their earned cash.

And quite frankly his comments about a 4-3-3 are a bit of an insult to the intelligence.

What he said.

This isn't the first time he has made comments about the support. Our money is what is paying his wages to a large extent, people have got every right to moan about whatever they want if they are paying their earned cash.

And quite frankly his comments about a 4-3-3 are a bit of an insult to the intelligence.

Exactly!

Not much more I can add to that.

What he said.

But what's the point in paying your £15 if all your going to do is bitch and moan and get on our own players backs. Then people complain when we are having a go at the opposition, but we can boo and hassle our own players all we want because we paid our money. What a load of total bullshit.

Pay your money and get behind the team for 90 minutes. Otherwise whats the point in being a 'supporter'? If the team or a player is having a howler surely a bit of encouragement might give them a lift. If you'd rather boo then why not just try shutting the fuck up for a change and say fuck all. That way you aren't seen to be a happy clappy fan, your not getting the players backs up because as the last week has shown they do take notice of what is said.

But what's the point in paying your £15 if all your going to do is bitch and moan and get on our own players backs. Then people complain when we are having a go at the opposition, but we can boo and hassle our own players all we want because we paid our money. What a load of total bullshit.

Pay your money and get behind the team for 90 minutes. Otherwise whats the point in being a 'supporter'? If the team or a player is having a howler surely a bit of encouragement might give them a lift. If you'd rather boo then why not just try shutting the fuck up for a change and say fuck all. That way you aren't seen to be a happy clappy fan, your not getting the players backs up because as the last week has shown they do take notice of what is said.

Get a grip.

I'm sorry if I was making a total tit of myself in my work somebody (ie the person who is paying my wages) would be on my case, football is no different, my boss wouldn't just shut up about it and hope things got better from a distance. C'mon man get real here.

Lets look at this relatively here for a second. The average wage for a motherwell player must be say around £1000 per week give or take a couple of hundred. How many people do you know who get paid that kind of money a year? £52k is a high pressure job for any other person, football should be no different, whether that means pressure from a manager because you aint earning it, opposition fans beacuse their are rivals in every walk of life, or your own fans because they are ploughing in money and seeing less of a result than they expect, the same as in any job.

No way in hell unless you're a sports person are you abused or allowed to be abused as much as they are. Even if you earned the same amount of money.

Saying that I did laugh at the huge cheer as the half time whistle yesterday, as if it wasn't for Clarkson's goal there would have been rings of booing! Even though that goal did not improve our performance of the half.