Football Historians In The Future Will Say...

SteelmaninOZ

I can imagine this messageboard if we won either the League Cup or Scottish Cup 6 years ago, followed by 6 seasons in the bottom 6 and flirting with relegation. No way, would I give up what we have had since Malpas left for one great day out, and those that say they would are thinking irrationally. We've got folk right, left and centre saying that they will chuck it next season for one reason or another and thats when we are the 2nd best team in the country, what would these folk be saying if we were sitting 2nd bottom of the league season after season?

In saying that, I genuinely think that a team needs to win something to be revered for ever amongst a support. Guys like Ian Angus, Jim Griffin and Ian Ferguson are Club legends solely on the back of one match in May 1991. We've had much better players than these guys in C&A since who wont be remembered as fondly.

• Like 1

They're not thinking irrationally, they just have different opinions which is what this site is all about! Whilst I agree that the team we have just now would be revered if they won silverware, big Higdon will go down as a club legend. Why? Because he's about to eclipse another goal scoring legend, Willie P. And what did Willie Pettigrew win with the club... Nowt!!!So you don't have to win anything to be a legend or a legendary team at Fir Park.Tbh, the best team I ever saw in c&a was the 81/82 team that won the 1st division at a stroll and set a goal scoring record as well. Now that was a team... Just my opinion like...rolleyes.gif

If we finish second this year I think it will be our greatest achievement of the modern era of the club.

We have the smallest squad by far in the SPL but are clear in second.

Also signing Faddy has been a masterstroke from the club as I think it has had the same effect as signing Ojamma last season.

Roll on another Euro adventure!

I can imagine this messageboard if we won either the League Cup or Scottish Cup 6 years ago, followed by 6 seasons in the bottom 6 and flirting with relegation. No way, would I give up what we have had since Malpas left for one great day out, and those that say they would are thinking irrationally. We've got folk right, left and centre saying that they will chuck it next season for one reason or another and thats when we are the 2nd best team in the country, what would these folk be saying if we were sitting 2nd bottom of the league season after season?

In saying that, I genuinely think that a team needs to win something to be revered for ever amongst a support. Guys like Ian Angus, Jim Griffin and Ian Ferguson are Club legends solely on the back of one match in May 1991. We've had much better players than these guys in C&A since who wont be remembered as fondly.

People who are saying they are chucking it next season aren't chucking it because of on the park football reasons. In fact most people who are chuking it next season have attended through some shite seasons on the pitch and kept coming back year after year.

People who are saying they are chucking it next season aren't chucking it because of on the park football reasons. In fact most people who are chuking it next season have attended through some shite seasons on the pitch and kept coming back year after year.

I would hazard a guess that the amount of people chucking it would be a lot higher than the figure on the poll on this very messageboard, if we were completely pish rather than chasing a top2 finish for the first time since the mid-90's!

Like the Seasider, I've ridden the rollercoaster since the 60's, and as far as League status is concerned recent times have been quite remarkable.

However, the main reason for that is the competition is a lot poorer than in the last quarter of the 20th C.

No arguament that the competition is poorer, but we haven't dropped in relation, the way the competition has.

We can't say its all because we have a great manager, since we have had 4 managers in a 6 year spell. I would suggest, and some of the moaners on here won't like it, that the board and club set up as a whole has been superb and allowed us to blossom. The youth set up, the budgets, the physio, Im guessing the training regime has all combined (along with the managers and players) to give us this great team.

Its just a shame that the current set of boys won't be winning a cup, hopefully some we re-sign and get one next year. Whilst it was good to see a non OF final, and St Midden winning a trophey, it was also gut wrenching knowing that our team would have wiped the floor with both the Midden and Hearts on Sunday, but ah well, thats football!

They're not thinking irrationally, they just have different opinions which is what this site is all about! Whilst I agree that the team we have just now would be revered if they won silverware, big Higdon will go down as a club legend. Why? Because he's about to eclipse another goal scoring legend, Willie P. And what did Willie Pettigrew win with the club... Nowt!!!So you don't have to win anything to be a legend or a legendary team at Fir Park.Tbh, the best team I ever saw in c&a was the 81/82 team that won the 1st division at a stroll and set a goal scoring record as well. Now that was a team... Just my opinion like...rolleyes.gif

I agree with almost every word you have said, other than the 'irrational' reference. I can't fathom, why anybody would give up the consistently good form (high league placings since Malpas left), the players we have seen (Skippy, The Juke, Rossco, Porter, Faddy, Ojamma, Law, Randolph, Ruddy, Jennings, even our less high profile players would walk into St Mirrens team) the places we have had the good fortune to play in (Nancy, Odense, Bucharest, Levante, Athens) for one day out at Hampden. Dont get me wrong, I was 9 in 1991, and was at the match, and would love to see us do it again, but to throw away the last 6 years of almost constant highs for that 1 day is crazy.

This time next year, I wont remember who won the League Cup in 2013, and the fact that St Mirren won it wont make me fear them the next time we play them, but I bet you there wont be many St Mirren fans who would say the same anytime we play them as we have been consistently within the top 3/4 teams in the country over the last few years.

As for your other points, Higdon will go down as a Club Legend for cracking the 20goals for a season barrier and rightly so, but I was meaning more your Hateleys, Humphreys and Ramsdens. Take Hateley/Griffin for instance, both play the same position, neither being real fans favourites, both playing in successful teams, which one will be remembered more favourably years from now?

We can't say its all because we have a great manager, since we have had 4 managers in a 6 year spell. I would suggest, and some of the moaners on here won't like it, that the board and club set up as a whole has been superb and allowed us to blossom. The youth set up, the budgets, the physio, Im guessing the training regime has all combined (along with the managers and players) to give us this great team.

Agreed!

We must be doing something right behind the scenes. We have one of, if not the, smallest squad in the league and our playing budget must be a fraction of what the city clubs pay yet, I believe that this season at least and probably for the last 3 or 4 seasons we have been streets ahead of most of them.

Sad fact is tht if we were to have won the cup in say 2010, would we have players like Randolph, Hutchison? In fact would we have been able to compte in the champions league last season? I don't think so, I think our squad would have been savaged by the big teams down south! So, in response to the cup question, No. I would take consistency in the league over a one off cup win any day of the week!

These few years in addition to future successes are what's going to keep Scottish football running. Soon enough we will be lower down the league, but only because the league as a whole has improved based on our influence whistling.gif Mtherwell fc in 10 years have gone from broke and finishing bottom, to champions league, Two cup finals, countless semi finals, 7 Europa Ties, two top three finishes, multiple top 6 finishes and quite possibly a second place finish.

Golden Era?

• Like 2

i wouldn't swap sustained success for one cup win.

most of mcleish's reign and the malpas saga were torture and it gets you down going to watch a team that isn't likely to win or even put in much of a performance every week. it used to be a banker that we would lose away to the city clubs, now we go through expecting to win.

a cup win would be great and the atmosphere in the town after the last semi win was incredible but the euro trips have been brilliant and unforgettable as well.

Slightly off-topic, but do you get a medal for finishing runner-up in the league?

Is surely a better achievement than getting beaten in a cup final.

A long way to go yet, just a thought really, usually it's rangers or celtic and they wouldn't bother, but for us (or perhaps even more so ICT, Ross county or stjohnstone) it's quite an achievement.

1363704985[/url]' post='377251']

Slightly off-topic, but do you get a medal for finishing runner-up in the league?

Is surely a better achievement than getting beaten in a cup final.

A long way to go yet, just a thought really, usually it's rangers or celtic and they wouldn't bother, but for us (or perhaps even more so ICT, Ross county or stjohnstone) it's quite an achievement.

I'm sure it's just more money and the knowledge of being better than most.

i wouldn't swap sustained success for one cup win.

most of mcleish's reign and the malpas saga were torture and it gets you down going to watch a team that isn't likely to win or even put in much of a performance every week. it used to be a banker that we would lose away to the city clubs, now we go through expecting to win.

a cup win would be great and the atmosphere in the town after the last semi win was incredible but the euro trips have been brilliant and unforgettable as well.

Fucking hate it when I agree with Steelboy :rolleyes:

what was the score in the "David Ferrare" 2nd half hat trick game???

what was the score at HT when we went down early to Hibs, and then pumped them 6-2 (McLeish first game as Hibs manager)

Why do we always pump Hibs?!?!? hahaha

everything is about money in this day and age, so I wouldn't trade in our continual top 6 performances for a cup win...........however, I would trade in a Scottish Cup win for a disastrous season in the SPL, where we got relegated (as long as we could manage financially) so that it stops the rot of playing the same teams over and over and over and over and over and over again. It would be nice to go to some other grounds for a change!!!

........................This time next year, I wont remember who won the League Cup in 2013................,

You absolutely would had it been Motherwell, and you'd still be buzzin today - 2 days after the Final.

At 51 I've never thought more rationally about things than I do nowadays. A 9yr old will have a totally different take on events leading up to 18th May 1991 and thereafter to that of a 29yr old. That perhaps explains our contrasting stance on this, but its sod all to do with being irrational or otherwise.

You absolutely would had it been Motherwell, and you'd still be buzzin today - 2 days after the Final.

At 51 I've never thought more rationally about things than I do nowadays. A 9yr old will have a totally different take on events leading up to 18th May 1991 and thereafter to that of a 29yr old. That perhaps explains our contrasting stance on this, but its sod all to do with being irrational or otherwise.

True, but you dont go week in week out. (I know you did for a long time). You dont now, which is why maybe you would like to see a cup win more than continued level of success and on the whole good football.

In much the same way as different age groups have different perspectives, im willing to bet different levels of attendees do as well. Someone who gets to 5games a season wont have the same feelings about 'doing a st mirren' and watching annual relegation dog fights and turgid fitbaw as someone who is there every game.

Please dont mistake this post as a 'which group of fans is better type post', its certainly not intended as such. Just pointing out that perspectives may hinge on variables other than age.

1363714558[/url]' post='377267']

You better believe I'd still be buzzing just now if we won the League Cup, but my point is that I'd much prefer to see a continual ans sustained level of high performance, success and consistency than all the shitey years that St Mirren have sustained before winning 3 or 4 matches and getting lucky by facing a hellishly bad Hearts team in the Final. As a 9yr old at the Final I possibly didn't realise the significance of the Cup win, but as a 31 year old I do, and I still wouldn't give up all these years of prolonged achievement for one successful day in the Hampden sun.

The consistency that we have shown since Malpas left is far more praiseworthy than what Danny Lennons men have achieved.

................................... Please dont mistake this post as a 'which group of fans is better type post', its certainly not intended as such. Just pointing out that perspectives may hinge on variables other than age.

No worries mate, I haven't.

It is interesting to see how a debate evolves tho ....... as it grows arms and legs. I said I'd swap those 3 recent Euro variables for a National Cup win, not embrace St Mirren's recent League record. I do wonder tho, if St Mirren fans are saying, "see Motherwell, a good 6 years, but they've won fuck all. we've got silverware". Something fans of Kilmarnock, Hearts, Dundee Utd can also say.

No surpise really, we always have a good few years every twenty. - eary, 30's, 50's, 70's, 90's and now.... er well, now. So you'll get your cup win next year or 2031 where we can wheel Mr AKA to the stadium!!!!!!

2031 ? :laugh: I'll have had my one way trip to Daldowie by then :rolleyes: