Formation/squad

Haggischomper

If we didn't play everybody that has been listed as shite and shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI then we'd have Lasley, Lasley and Lasley playing next week.

We are where we are and the team we manage to put on the park should get our support. The fact that we manage to assemble the players we have is quite remarkable

Tough times require a stronger stomach than this support currently has

• Like 1

If we didn't play everybody that has been listed as shite and shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI then we'd have Lasley, Lasley and Lasley playing next week.

We are where we are and the team we manage to put on the park should get our support. The fact that we manage to assemble the players we have is quite remarkable

Starting to wonder about Lasley himself. If you look through the teams folk have been suggesting for a while, he's not featured in front of Vigurs, Lawson and Carswell. Not for me, in all honesty, as he's well deserving of a starting spot.

That shows you, however, that even the best thought of players are starting to look even less safe in some folks' eyes.

I don't reckon we're anywhere near tough times, with the quality of players brought in, regardless of how shambolic we've managed to look. Some annoyance at the performances, and questions of how to do better are fair enough, but some of the haranguing of individuals has been ridiculous.

It's not the individuals at the moment, but the team needs work. Plenty of time yet, as fucking frustrating as some of our recent play has been.

Exactly. I'm not sure what some fans were expecting this season, but having just ripped the core out one of the best Motherwell teams in memory (a team that took 3 managers, 4 years to build), anything better than mid-table this season will be an achievement.

Last year, if we gave away a goal, we had the confidence and the fire power to score a couple in response. Right now, we don't have that, so our mistakes are costing us dearly.

It's early days though and the only way to find the best formation and get the players used to it is to grind it out on a match day. It took McCall a number of games to get the best out of Higgy, Murphy, Ojamaa etc. and it won't be any different this time around.

This season, however, is more likely to look like the Gannon/Brown season than hit the heights of the last one. Rebuilding doesn't happen over night.

• Like 1

Starting to wonder about Lasley himself. If you look through the teams folk have been suggesting for a while, he's not featured in front of Vigurs, Lawson and Carswell. Not for me, in all honesty, as he's well deserving of a starting spot.

I didn't put him in my team as I feel we should be seeing a phasing out and replacement with him. In a midfield 3, Lawson is far better defensively and Vigurs is far better offensively so the final place should alternate between Lasley & Carswell with Carswell developing more into a permanent fixture.

Though I can't see it ever happening as with all the cringeworthy manlove for Keef,if he is ever dropped regularly from this team then our crowds will probably drop further

As for Kerr,he has a lot of pace & a big physical presence,Id love to see him play as a centre half (where he has played all his days!)

When half the team can't find a team mate with a pass, when we cannot defend set pieces, when we play more than 70 mins before making an attempt at goal, when players don't look fit, when our formations look untried and matchday selections baffle many of us ..................... I think we have every right to be critical, irrespective of recent achievements or otherwise.

None of us expect to be world beaters. We can only compete against our peers - most of whom are shyte -- but it's those basic essentials that are really letting us down.

For the players we have we will have to win games with possession and pressure rather than the quick exciting football that we've been watching recently. It might be a less enjoyable watch but with the calibre of player brought in we should still be able to beat most Premiership teams.

The current back 4 will do fine and should cause problems in the opponents box for set pieces (especially with the players we have that can take decent free kicks)

A midfield of Las, Lawson and Vigurs should be able to control most Premiership games, especially if they have the faddy out ball in front of them. Faddy needs to play centrally behind Sutton and Arnier.

Angol could perhaps replace faddy in the role behind the strikers in the gareth bale mould for an impact of pace if things aren't going to plan.

Hollis

Ramsden Hutch Mcmanus Hammel

Vigurs Lawson Lasley

Faddy

Sutton Arnier

As I see it just now , our problems start from the back ...losing goals at set pieces is a problem . Neilson has height about him and surely if he was coming out for crosses etc that would help the guys in front of him out a bit . If nothing else , it would make teams think twice about hurling balls into our box if they knew Gunnar was going to claim them .

The right hand side of the park is poor just now . Rammers will never get forward like TH did , so there is no threat from there . Faddy is no right winger IMO and for most of the time he will cut inside on his left ...ok you can argue that Robben does that all the time , but , this is slightly different .

We have no pace going forward ...everyone knows that , so opposition can push up and tighten the middle of the park up knowing there is no real danger of a Humphrey or Ojamma breaking in behind them . It also means that with nobody getting to the bye line the type of ball up to Sutton is of no use to him. Anier has showed some pace and looks our only threat just now as ZFA is no forward thinking player .

The gaffer and KB obviously realise all of this and have 2 weeks to get some loan signings in . Now that the PL has started down south , it will become clearer soon as to which suitable young players can be targeted to do the jobs required .

Bottom line , you cannot keep rebuilding year after year and expect to get it right everytime ...hopefully , McCall will be able to get it as right as he can .

I'm sure McCall didn't just pluck names out a hat. As much as we look disjointed I'm sure McCall hasn't picked up players at random.

I suspect when McManus became available he saw it as a chance to pick up a notably better centre half than what we had and he had in Ramsden a player he saw as a full back and signed Kerr a young player he felt capable of covering centre and fulback positions.

When he signed Vigurs, he'll have known he wasn't a pacy wide player but I gather he played wide position for County. He's talked about signing a pacy wide player for a while hopefully when said player arrives it will change the balance of the team.

Resigning McFadden looked a no brainer given his form last season. Sutton is a proven SPL forward than can lead the line. He's brought in Anier who looks to have a bit of pace, strength and finishing.

Lawson seems a tidy midfield player, someone who should be setting the tempo and anchoring our midfield.

Putting them all together has been distinctly unimpressive so far for the most part. But we can surely only get better and if we can bring in a couple of loan deals before the deadline I daresay we'll turn it around.

• Like 1

Well if you read my last post and look at the team selections the manager has made, we're actually in agreement.

We are all Frazzie.

Ahh Frazzie...

Makes me smile and think of those amusing days when in between choosing Humphrey for his Man of the Match every week, predicting he would score every game, and doing his best to criticise Jennoe, West Midland's finest was accusing you of casual racism....

I wonder if I'll ever reach a level of boredom that'll make me peruse the PNE boards to see if our Dazzer has surfaced.

What the hell u talking about? Most folk debating, as expected after a run of poor results. No one claiming to know better than McCall.

Mmmmmm ! I thought it was more of a blame game cause we lost a couple of games. Ah well cant be right all of the time

Given that we have no real pace or natural width, whats folks opinions on playing a narrow 4-2-3-1?

Vigurs Anier and McFadden are all clever footballers. Surely they can find the spaces required to play thru teams instead of around and behind? Would this get them closer to Sutton to give him the support he is crying out for?

Thoughts?

Exactly. I'm not sure what some fans were expecting this season, but having just ripped the core out one of the best Motherwell teams in memory (a team that took 3 managers, 4 years to build), anything better than mid-table this season will be an achievement.

Last year, if we gave away a goal, we had the confidence and the fire power to score a couple in response. Right now, we don't have that, so our mistakes are costing us dearly.

You can play well, make a mistake or two and lose the match. Or you can just play poorly making many mistakes some of which are ultimately punished by the opposition.

We are closer to the latter rather than the former at the moment.

The four matches I've seen in the flesh (Newcastle, Nottingham, Krasnodar, Aberdeen) we've shown virtually nothing. I've also seen two live matches on television and although those performances were better, we made a number of mistakes and created very little in those matches as well.

Some posters might either be hysterics or depressives with their reactions at this stage of the season but there comes a point, especially during the first round of matches in a season, when it becomes difficult for teams to get into a different gear if they have stalled over the first 7 or 8 games.

We won't have a write off season if Partick beat us at the weekend but we will be one match further down a path that we really don't want to go down.

Of course we don't want to go down that path, but given the turnover in personnel it was likely we'd be looking around mid-table this season.

I'm hoping we can bring in the one player McCall (and the fans) are crying out for, plus maybe add a little in the next window, but there wasn't much chance of us replicating last season right out of the traps.

• Like 1

....but there wasn't much chance of us replicating last season right out of the traps.

And people are genuinely surprised we aren't. Pundits and slavering fans alike, it's starting to feel like 1992 again, after we won the cup folk expected us to kick on but we lost players and finished 10th, the 94/95 season we finished 2nd the season after we finished 8th.

There's nothing happy clappy about optimism and reality.

• Like 3

.......................................... it's starting to feel like 1992 again, after we won the cup folk expected us to kick on but we lost players and finished 10th, the 94/95 season we finished 2nd the season after we finished 8th......................

The quality of our opponents was far superior then tho.