Motherwell Vs Ict... 17/08/13

Well 4 Europe

Be interesting to read about how we actually played, some pretty tragic stuff on here and the social media sites about peoples blind opinions and the usual scapegoats getting blamed.

for me and in the four games Ive seen, it just the usual McCalls motherwell start to the season , weeks behind nearly every other team in terms of preparation and ability to play as a team and being off match sharp fitness, nothing new from previous seasons.

Plenty of good players in a squad, that is no worse than most of the last ten years (last year an exception with the continuity)

Sad to see so many Motherwell fans now simply expecting to win games with no consideration for the situation or opposition, but suppose that comes off the back of success

its up to the management team to get finger out and deliver a fit team, with players playing in an appropriate system and positions, right now, just like last season and the year before, it looks like we'll just have to suffer the experimentation on the park until something clicks.

for now Id be happy if he drops a couple of the names, and picks players to play to their strengths, instead of based on wage packets/number of appearances.

Edit: I'd also think two or more points from the next two games is relative success, based on where the teams are at present.

and they trips to the highlands seem to bring out the laziest displays we produce in a season, be worth noting the preparation that goes into them

• Like 1

I reckon that Partick will grab a victory

They used to be a little bit of a bogey team for us, in season 2003-04 they beat us 3-0 and 2-0 at Firhill, however we did managed two draws at Fir Park that season. Their overall league record against us is slightly better, with 70 wins to our 58, with 46 draws.

I reckon we will get a hard earned draw, but only if we approach the game in the right manner. Like Inverness they are well organised and have played together as a team for sometime.

Be interesting to read about how we actually played, some pretty tragic stuff on here and the social media sites about 1) peoples blind opinions and the usual scapegoats getting blamed.

2) for me and in the four games Ive seen, it just the usual McCalls motherwell start to the season , weeks behind nearly every other team in terms of preparation and ability to play as a team and being off match sharp fitness, nothing new from previous seasons.

Plenty of good players in a squad, that is no worse than most of the last ten years (last year an exception with the continuity)

Sad to see so many Motherwell fans now simply expecting to win games with no consideration for the situation or opposition, but suppose that comes off the back of success

3) its up to the management team to get finger out and deliver a fit team, with players playing in an appropriate system and positions, right now, just like last season and the year before, it looks like we'll just have to suffer the experimentation on the park until something clicks.

4) for now Id be happy if he drops a couple of the names, and picks players to play to their strengths, instead of based on wage packets/number of appearances.

Edit: I'd also think two or more points from the next two games is relative success, based on where the teams are at present

Interesting and well considered post. I'd like to address parts of it.

1) Whose opinions are you willing to read and consider as valid?

2) I agree utterly, as regards the start to the season, but I regard a lack of preparation, positional sense, and especially fitness to be weak management. Not acceptable, as the above three are easily trained.

3) Indeed it is. And there is zero excuse as to why the formation isn't even vaguely balanced.

4) Agreed, but due to shoddy recruitment, we do not have cover, or indeed a first choice for a number of the spaces.

Not an attack on yourself, but I feel that your post brought up a number of points which should, realistically, be looked at.

*ETA Who's changed to Whose.

Edited by StipeIsGod
  • Like 1

I am no panicking just yet

I predict next week that Vigurs will score a 30 yard screamer and that Faddy will turn it on and the 3 points will be ours...

That is assuming of course we do not concede a free kick or corner as it will inevitably result in a free header and a goal for the opposition.

Would like to see the penalty claim with Vigurs. Bet it was a better shout than Aberdeens second from last week.

A 442 system isn't going to work with the personnel available.

I'd change to a 3 at the back, with two wing-backs.

Hollis

Ramsden Hutch McManus

Kerr Hammell

Lawson Vigurs. Lasley

Faddy

One of our shite strikers

Obvious you're not a fan of Sutton or McHugh but what's Anier done wrong so far to be considered shite?!?

Interesting and well considered post. I'd like to address parts of it.

1) Whose opinions are you willing to read and consider as valid?

2) I agree utterly, as regards the start to the season, but I regard a lack of preparation, positional sense, and especially fitness to be weak management. Not acceptable, as the above three are easily trained.

3) Indeed it is. And there is zero excuse as to why the formation isn't even vaguely balanced.

4) Agreed, but due to shoddy recruitment, we do not have cover, or indeed a first choice for a number of the spaces.

Not an attack on yourself, but I feel that your post brought up a number of points which should, realistically, be looked at.

*ETA Who's changed to Whose.

on opinions I'll read them all mate, sad as it is, I, like too many others, dedicate way too much time to giving a fuck about MFC and the fans thoughts, but I've read some tripe so far today from people who were not there, giving opinions on why we were two down, the cause ranged from every defender(except hammell?)and most of the midfield, through to the usual Hollis scapegoat and even Sutton and McHugh were at at fault? this potential right winger would have stopped the goals? etc etc

everybody has thoughts and frustrations, but it was pretty sad at times earlier today to read people speculating and then spouting ill informed drivel at some of our own over who is at fault when quite simply they were arguing over unknowns.

one or two at the game were contributing that yes it was bad/poor etc but that we were close to being in it and the penalty decision could have swung it back in our favour.

now I'll never know the true cause or just how bad it was , But I am sure not going to blame individual players that quite simply might have been no wehre near involved in the failings

now none of that deflects from my earlier points that we are quite simply just not ready for competitive games (again)

I said last week that the team that played in Krasnodar should have been kept in tact for league game, and I'd stick with that, all that was missing was the instruction to venture forward now and again. but at least there was some balance

the other points, you got the jist, its down to McCall and co to sort it, and at least acknowledge that yet again pre-season has been poorer than what other teams deliver, Thistle were back weeks before us and never had Europe hopefully we can step up, but to me thats what counts this early in the season, McCall has never had that nailed, but he gets them going eventually and has delivered more success than say Brown or Mcghee who got us going earlier but rarely maintained it.

After last years powder puff attempt at Europe I had hoped we would step up preparation earlier but it was obvious we had not before we even returned after summer, So I guess , we have to hold on tight and hope the season pans out nearly as good as last year

Having to rely on the radio commentary, media revues, texts from some poor souls in the south side of Caley Stadium today, live internet feeds of our 2 Euro games and a day trip to Morecambe, Sportscene highlights, etc., ............... but from that input I have to voice that imho we are a really poor Motherwell side. We look ill-prepared, unfit, disorganised, tactically inept, and some of the formations/team selections are quite frankly baffling.

OK, we lost a considerable amount of talent at the end of last season, but we had several months advance warning of this. (Quite frankly Pettigrew was better than Higdon, Marinello better than Humph, Davidson better than Law, Dornan better than Hateley, Graham better than Ojaama), so lets get on with it.

It is only mid August, we've played 5 competitive matches with Goals for-2, and Goals against-8.

It's obvious to see where the work is required ---- so lets get busy boys.

I am no panicking just yet

I predict next week that Vigurs will score a 30 yard screamer and that Faddy will turn it on and the 3 points will be ours...

If I was manager Faddy wouldn't even be playing next week. He's either nowhere near fit or needs a spell on the bench to improve his attitude.

A 442 system isn't going to work with the personnel available.

I'd change to a 3 at the back, with two wing-backs.

Hollis

Ramsden Hutch McManus

Kerr Hammell

Lawson Vigurs. Lasley

Faddy

One of our shite strikers

I would play a 4-2-3-1. You need attacking full backs to play 3 at the back. We could do it with McKinnon and Shannon, can't do it with Ramsden and Hammell.

For anyone not at the game who was wanting to know if it was as bad as it sounded, it really was. Passing straight to Caley players, route 1 stuff to Sutton's face, absolutely no creativity or penetration, it was really fucking bad today. McHugh tried for 45 minutes but to no avail, Arnier looked dangerous and willing when he came on. McFadden was piss poor, and Vigurs was even worse. Lawson played well, not sure why he was took off, but Carsy was just as good if not better when he came on.

Defensively we didn't do too much wrong I don't think. Don't know who was marking Foran for the goal (great header btw) and their 2nd goal was well worked but could've easily been cut out.

Blame lies with McCall for me today. McFadden is wasted out the right, Vigurs is not a winger, I loved Sutton the first time but he's proving to be a poor signing so far.

All in all it was a rubbish day for the 'Well fans. Couple of big games coming up. A right winger is a must ASAP. Would also consider dropping Faddy and Vigurs but who do we replace them with?

Also, took my mrs today for her first ever game, asked her after who her favourite player was and she said "Paddy McFadden" laugh.gif

PS - we have some right fuckin rockets in our support.

Edit - forgot to say, the best part of today was Keith Lasley going absolutely fuckin mental at the ref for not awarding us what appeared to be a stonewaller. Las was great today IMO. Still a couple of years left in him.

• Like 1

Cheers Gazzy B, sounds true to form,

if it was poorly aimed high balls to Sutty, did McHugh have any chance of getting involved?

I dont want to write him off just yet, but hes not really shown anything in the competitive games so far this season but when he had appearances before I had confidence he could make it giving time, suppose this season neither has Sutton bar an assist

I still think they both have a place, just not in the team the way it is setup just now

I have no great confidence that Bob McHugh is good enough but if we are lumping the ball up the park and can't string two passes together then he far from the biggest problem.

Is McFadden fit, he was on the whole playing very well end of last season. So far this season it's just not happening, I don't put it down to him playing right mid. He is on form good enough to play anywhere midfield forward in the SPL. Arguably his best performance was from right mid against Hibs last season.

We clearly lack pace going forward. We clearly lack some natural width but you could put Chris Humphrey back in that team and I suspect we'd still be brutal.

Maybe it'll click over the next few games but from what I've seen and heard so far barring a few players like Vigurs and McFadden considerably upping their game we are not going to be fun to watch.

Keeper - The team have zero confidence, and in all honesty, neither do 60% of the fans. I want the guy to do well, but when a ball ends up within 30yds of our goal and we hiss, that's a confidence sapper.

Defence - Who the fuck knows. Theoretically, we've beefed up.

Midfield - Lost our best, gained the slowest players ever to have seen a ball.

Forwards - We've disintegrated so far that the 50p headed John Sutton is our CF?! I like the guy, but hoofing it to his head is fucking stupid.

Sorry, folks, but our success of late has been based on acquisitions from the English leagues, as opposed to hoovering up the "best of the rest". This season, we've gone all Scotland, and I'm sorry, but we're well figured out so far. And we will continue to be.

ETA - Bob McHugh is shite. He WILL NOT make it at this level.

See me in a year if you disagree.

Edited by StipeIsGod

You've confirmed my worst fears GazzyB.

So identical performance to the Hibs and Aberdeen ones then?

Edit: I've not heard any of McCalls interviews yet, but if Anier wasn't injured/jet lagged then not playing him is just fucking insane.