Tom Hateley

Frazzie

Despite Tranmeres poor run of form, manager Ronnie Moore has been falsely claiming that Tom Hateley has been injured for the past two months to justify leaving him out of the team.

Surely Tom joins a long line of folk who have left us for the promised land only to regret it. Terrible shame!

I don't take pleasure in seeing tom struggle, he was part of my favourite ever well team and for that I'm grateful..but..sometimes players need to use their heads when looking for a move.

There's ways to go about leaving a club, examples are faddy, Sutton, higdon etc. These guys come to the club, work their socks off, do the business and earn a move. No whoring themselves to every club available.

If things don't work out elsewhere then because they've left in good terms and held in high esteem with the fans, their welcome back.

Some players don't get that though, law, Pearson, Slane etc. Its funny that as mentioned not many players go onto better things, and of the few that do, some have only enjoyed success by coming back here. Lasley, hammell and probably Sutton for example.

Says a lot about our club really.

Players move on and that's football. I don't have negative feelings for anyone that's left Motherwell. The club goes on.

Some players go on to better things, some don't, others some fit in at certain clubs, others don't, some make the most of their talent and others squander it, it's just the nature of the game.

I think Tom Hateley was put in an uncomfortable position during the summer because of his fathers Rangers connections and position in the media. It attracted more news copy and rumours than might have been the case otherwise.

My feeling was that Hateley was probably the weakest player in our line up last season so I'm not surprised he's not been a success when much better players have tried and failed but I'm not going to be bitter about it.

He's gone, good luck to the guy.

I never had anything against him but you just knew his dad wis burning up Sally McCoist's phone line begging him "take my boy to Ibrox". I get the feeling Tom let his dad lead him astray a wee bit with the Rangers patter which he really shouldn't have done but hey ho its done and dusted now. I'm pretty sure we'll see Tom back in the SPL soon enough it will just be a question of who he goes to.

• Like 1

I think Tom Hateley was put in an uncomfortable position during the summer because of his fathers Rangers connections and position in the media. It attracted more news copy and rumours than might have been the case otherwise.

Exactly this.

You just need to look at how our fans turned on Nicky Law over his decision (a bad career move IMO but his choice) to see that.

Tom Hateley did well for us. He chose to move on. Ramsden has proved an ample replacement. Nothing more to say.

I don't like the booing of ex-players when they return to Fir Park. Some I completely agree with, guys who leave on bad terms, or bad mouth us on departure etc. Pearson and Kerr are 2 that spring to mind.

I cringe a bit when people boo ANY ex-player, guys who did a good job for us and left on good terms, like Foran, or who were surplus to requirements, like Forbes or Fitzpatrick.

Tom Hateley is an unusual one, in that a lot of fans never really took to him, despite being fairly steady, even if he did take the odd roasting (templeton at tynecastle was a horror show!).

The way he left was perhaps not all of his own making, it wasn't him linking himself with a move to ibrox. However he thought he was too good to take our offer, and it turned out nobody else wanted him, and by the time he realised we no longer needed him.

:lol:

• Like 1

For me, hateleys problem was that he thought he was a much much better player than he actually was. This is probably related to the increased media speculation surrounding him, combined with his dads opinion of him. He was an average spl right back, not the supreme central midfield dynamo he believed he was.

This is something I always thought throughout his time with us.

Out of interest does anyone know when he has played for tranmere has he played right back or midfield?

His 1st couple of games appeared to be at right back, not sure about any games since.

I agree about central midfield, I think he had one good game there out of around 10 attempts, whereas he was a fairly competent right back barring a handful of games where he couldn't handle his opposite number.

Only people that thought he could play centre mid were him, his dad and on occasion Stuart McCall.

However he thought he was too good to take our offer

I agree with some of what has been posted in here, and disagree with some. However, I have never seen any evidence of this often repeated point. All our offers to the players that left were turned down - from Randolph to Higdon. But people's hatred of Hateley means that only he "thought he was too good for us".

As far as I remember, we offered him a new deal that was less than his old one. If my employer did that, I'd be offski too.

I agree with some of what has been posted in here, and disagree with some. However, I have never seen any evidence of this often repeated point. All our offers to the players that left were turned down - from Randolph to Higdon. But people's hatred of Hateley means that only he "thought he was too good for us".

As far as I remember, we offered him a new deal that was less than his old one. If my employer did that, I'd be offski too.

I suppose the difference was that Randolph and Higdon got a better offer, Hateley didn't and didn't get a club until October I think it was.

I didn't mind him, and I think a lot of the reasons folk don't like him were outwith his control. (Ie who his dad was, and the resultant media spot light)

His 1st couple of games appeared to be at right back, not sure about any games since.

I agree about central midfield, I think he had one good game there out of around 10 attempts, whereas he was a fairly competent right back barring a handful of games where he couldn't handle his opposite number.

Only people that thought he could play centre mid were him, his dad and on occasion Stuart McCall.

I thought he was excellent under Gannon playing in the deep midfield position. Post Gannon he rarely impressed in midfield but we played a different system.

Nothing to do with his dad. Hateley's main problem was being shite. Far from fans hating who he was cos of his dad, I actually think he was unjustly lauded by most Well fans

Definitely,

I'm never usually one to put down current or former 'Well players but Hately was pish. I wasn't a fan of him when he was here and I'm even less of a fan now. He was extremely wasteful in possession and never really seemed that interested. I'm about 500 times happier with Simon Ramsden slotting in at right back who is steadily becoming one of my favourite players at the moment.

I thought he was excellent under Gannon playing in the deep midfield position. Post Gannon he rarely impressed in midfield but we played a different system.

Yeah, agree with this. He played well in a 5 man midfield. When he was playing centre mid as part of a 2 man centre mid team as opposed to 3, this is when he was found out

#RiseAboveHateley

Nothing to do with his dad. Hateley's main problem was being shite. Far from fans hating who he was cos of his dad, I actually think he was unjustly lauded by most Well fans

Fair enough. I thought Hateley was far from shite, far from brilliant as well, but he picked up well over 100 appearances in 4 seasons for a reason

Feel a wee big sorry for Hateley. Looks to have been a terrible career choice leaving us, especially when he spent a few months kicking his heels before earning only a short time deal with Tranmere.

Still, gave us those glorious last minute free kick goals in Odense and Paisley.

In general, I imagine it's a tough choice for any player on our books. In recent times we have had great teams to play for, but even at our peak we have had to reduce budgets and salaries. So successful players who would no doubt be enjoying their football, have to think about securing their own financial futures.

A guy like Reynolds, even moving back to Aberdeen, is probably on twice his Motherwell salary - plus he would have a nice chunk of change from his trip down south.

Ultimately, it's down to how much ambition you have and how much job satisfaction you are willing to gamble. I can't imagine it's ever an easy decision - especially for the younger players.

• Like 1

Feel a wee big sorry for Hateley. Looks to have been a terrible career choice leaving us, especially when he spent a few months kicking his heels before earning only a short time deal with Tranmere.

Still, gave us those glorious last minute free kick goals in Odense and Paisley.

Plus one...always gave 100 %......think Trevor Stevens and his dad filled his head full off daft ideas that were way above his station..........will always have a soft spot for him down to that last minute free kick in Denmark........feckin bedlam !!!!!

:cheers:

• Like 1