Tom Hateley

Frazzie

He should be able to get a club up here alright.

Did he not get KB'd after a trial at Killie? I suspect he'll be in the Mark Reynolds 'fun oot' camp after leaving us having played almost every game for a few seasons and may get a move back to a faltering SPL team in a season or so.

Lacked the consistency he showed in his first year here, but always an important player in one of the best footballing Motherwell teams I've seen. I had no problems with his attitude when he was here. Yet to see/hear any evidence of this 'billy big baws' attitude he apparently had.

I had no problems with how he left either. After 4 years and 150 games for the club, he wanted to move on. It's really not much more complicated than that, which made the pleasure some folk got in seeing him struggle to find a club seem not just hard to understand, but also slightly cruel. Maybe I'm just saft. Or maybe they are just fannies.

From an age perspective too, it would seem like the right time for him to leave. 24 years old, 150 games, learned his trade somewhat.

I just think he had some terrible advice from his advisors. And to his credit, he took the whole #WheresTomHateley thing in good fun, and never bad mouthed us like a certain Mr. Kerr.

Wasn't the best full back I have ever seen, but fitted in to McCall's system just fine.

Nothing to do with his dad. Hateley's main problem was being shite. Far from fans hating who he was cos of his dad, I actually think he was unjustly lauded by most Well fans

I find that quite an astonishing thing to say. Hateley was not shite. The amount of appearances he accumulated under various managers is surely testament to that.

I had no problems with his attitude when he was here. Yet to see/hear any evidence of this 'billy big baws' attitude he apparently had.

I had no problems with how he left either. After 4 years and 150 games for the club, he wanted to move on. It's really not much more complicated than that, which made the pleasure some folk got in seeing him struggle to find a club seem not just hard to understand, but also slightly cruel. Maybe I'm just saft. Or maybe they are just fannies.

Agree with this. I've read this billy big baws stuff about Hateley and seen no evidence of it. It's as if someone once said it and it grew arms & legs amongst a section of our support.

It's just a general impression. From hearing that he demanded a midfield role after being rescued from obscurity plus rumours of him being our highest earner, plus he hit every set piece even though 95% of his deliveries were absolutely brutal, on top of the fact his dad is an absolute h*n wank, which in turns got him undeserved rave reviews in the press. There was plenty not to like about him for me, and I reserve my right to that as a fickle football who contributed to his wages while he was here.

• Like 1

Having only ever had brief chats with Tom in the Centenary and on a separate occasion, his dad when my son was the mascot.....

Both Hateley's were absolute gents..........:thumbup:

On Mark the h*n ,most ex players from the Mould Firm tend to talk absolute shite as that's what the gutter press want/expect them to say and what the morons want/expect them to say.

Tom Hateley was a loyal servant/ever present for for four seasons,he played well over 150 games and scored a not bad return of goals

He decided to move on......and its not worked out for him.....so what :cry:

• Like 4

Have to say had his dad not been who he was I doubt if this thread would even exist. I personally thought he was an above average player who often frustrated folk but who also linked well with Humphrey. He earned his right to move on and I wish him all the best after he clearly made a bad choice listening to his pa and his buddy.

• Like 1

Personally think Saunders before his injury and now Ramsden are both better right backs than Tom. I don't think hes a bad footballer, just that there doesn't seem to be a position he properly fits in. He didnt accept our offer and in fairness he never made out he was looking to go to Rangers, we all just assume he was. I always seem to warm to the players that the rest of the support dont so always backed him. Was desperate for Higgy to start scoring when he first came, for his own sake and ours, felt sorry for Forbes and I feel sorry for McHugh now.

• Like 1

Always thought he was a good full back and we were about his level.

Rumours were he was on a very handsome package at Fir Park and I was happy the club refused to maintain that level. Unsure how true but was meant to be one of our highest earners!

Rumours were he was on a very handsome package at Fir Park and I was happy the club refused to maintain that level. Unsure how true but was meant to be one of our highest earners!

He probably was one of the highest earners. His contract extension in 2010 would have made sure of that and to be fair, at the time I don't think anyone would have begrudged him that. Don't believe me? See here... http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7712

Not that im doubting frazzie, i dont know the guy, but is there a link or evidence as to the claims in his original post? This is the first i've heard of the injury cover up

His mouthy gobshite of a fiancée has said as much on twitter. Hasn't deleted it either. Supposedly his sister and another family member has confirmed it. No inside knowledge on my part!

His mouthy gobshite of a fiancée has said as much on twitter. Hasn't deleted it either. Supposedly his sister and another family member has confirmed it. No inside knowledge on my part!

Fair enough although you follow his burd??

Regardless, i always thought Tam was a decent 'well player. Obviously badly advised if he thought he had better options which never transpired. I dont have any problems with him leaving, they all did, and at no point did he bad mouth us.

I could see him getting an SPFL return, expect most teams outwith us, celtic, sheep and Dundee United would happily take him.

I wish him all the best

Fair enough although you follow his burd??

Regardless, i always thought Tam was a decent 'well player. Obviously badly advised if he thought he had better options which never transpired. I dont have any problems with him leaving, they all did, and at no point did he bad mouth us.

I could see him getting an SPFL return, expect most teams outwith us, celtic, sheep and Dundee United would happily take him.

I wish him all the best

Haha- no! I don't even follow him! A Tranmere-supporting mate was telling me about it. I know from personal experience that she's a mouthy mare though!

We get the picture - you don't like tom hately cause his burd said something to you that you didn't appreciate- can we now discuss issues to do with Motherwell fc instead of this pish

Oh controversial !

More controversial than wondering if Tom Hately is really bothered at missing out on a couple of cup humiliations and another season in a league that was considered a joke by everyone outside of it ten years ago and is much worse now ?

We get the picture - you don't like tom hately cause his burd said something to you that you didn't appreciate- can we now discuss issues to do with Motherwell fc instead of this pish

Wind yer neck in- I, along with several other posters, outlined why Tom Hateley was never well-liked amongst our support long before his burd got a mention.

I'd suggest that if you only want to discuss current issues that affect MFC, you shouldn't have opened a thread with the title of a former players name.