Tom Hateley

Frazzie

Never met the guy so I have no idea what he is like as a person but from the posters on here that have, they seemed to all think he was a decent guy. Never bad mouthed the club and despite the abuse he has had from some quarters, never bad mouthed the fans. I wish him all the best in Poland.

• Like 1

Everyone has their own personal experiences but on the one occasion I spoke to Tom Hateley I found him to be a complete gent who was happy to chat away to supporters.

I believed all along and still do there was an element in the support who disliked him due to who his father was.

• Like 5

Tom hateley is a pretentious dick. Mentioned on twitter once how garbage he was and his sister, mother and girlfriend all piped up, that has made me hate him more.

So, in summary, you abused him, he never responded, and that makes *him* a pretentious dick?

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

I was debating this with 'Flow on Twitter last night but it's probably fair to say both our opinions are a bit skewed. I genuinely don't see that it's a particularly good move unless I'm missing something.

I don't think he'll be on more money than he was on with us and there's a chance he'll get a couple of Euro qualifiers, same as if he'd stayed with us. When you add in that he's having to move to Poland when he's engaged to be married and no doubt planning to start a family soon then I really don't see the attraction.

I was debating this with 'Flow on Twitter last night but it's probably fair to say both our opinions are a bit skewed. I genuinely don't see that it's a particularly good move unless I'm missing something.

I don't think he'll be on more money than he was on with us and there's a chance he'll get a couple of Euro qualifiers, same as if he'd stayed with us. When you add in that he's having to move to Poland when he's engaged to be married and no doubt planning to start a family soon then I really don't see the attraction.

All fair points Frazzle. But he wasnt moving there from us. He made a bad decision in the summer. If this gets him back playing first team football at a decent level it improves his situation surely?

That Slask Wroclaw are a much bigger team than us (and tranmere) for a start so he'll definitely be getting paid more than we would have been paying him. The Polish league is also stronger than ours, with the exception of Celtic. I also think there stadium might have been built/upgraded for the Euros a few years back so that's another plus.

Edit: Picture found

800px-WKS_%C5%9Al%C4%85sk-Wis%C5%82a_Krak%C3%B3w_20111125_b.JPG

Edited by rambunctious

That Slask Wroclaw are a much bigger team than us (and tranmere) for a start so he'll definitely be getting paid more than we would have been paying him. The Polish league is also stronger than ours, with the exception of Celtic. I also think there stadium might have been built/upgraded for the Euros a few years back so that's another plus.

Edit: Picture found

800px-WKS_%C5%9Al%C4%85sk-Wis%C5%82a_Krak%C3%B3w_20111125_b.JPG

What makes you think they are a bigger team and higher standard?

I'm not saying they aren't but a big stadium was built for the Euros and Polish supporters are fanatical so they probably do get big crowds but is there anything to suggest the product is better and wages are higher?

He had the choice between Poland or Firhill. I know where i'd have went.

Agreed, but he also had the choice six months ago not to leave us. I'm questioning whether things turned out for the best or whether he regrets leaving us. I don't care about Partick Thistle.

What makes you think they are a bigger team and higher standard?

I'm not saying they aren't but a big stadium was built for the Euros and Polish supporters are fanatical so they probably do get big crowds but is there anything to suggest the product is better and wages are higher?

Citation needed on the polish league being stronger than the SPL.

Or is it just the case that scottish football is 'shite'.

Well after a quick check on wikipedia Poland has a higher UEFA coefficient than ourselves. I was also basing that on the fact Polish teams in recent times have snapped up some of Scottish footballs more exciting prospects (and for reasonable sums that we couldn't afford): Barry Douglas and Ojamaa for instance. And the fact their national team has been more successful than ours. I've no idea what kind of contract Hateley will be on over there or even exactly how much he was earning here, but I was just hazarding a guess that due their average attendance being over 17,000 a week they could probably afford a lot more than us.

The product might not really be that much better and they might not have much more money, just think they're reasonable assumptions to make. If anything else playing in front of bigger fanatical crowds in a quality new stadium will be a draw. Playing football in a European country will surely be a good thing for his career, besides. Good experience and will look good on his CV.

PS. I've heard Wroclaw is lovely this time of year whistling.gif