Up For It!

ankles

Mibbe with the onset of old age i'm getting nostalgic with what came before but 1st v 2nd today and 2nd v 3rd next week isn't gettin the old football juices going.Used to love Celtic, Hearts away, Aberdeen ,Dundee Utd home, now its like every game is the same, i'd have donated a kidney to win six in a row in the late 80's . HELP, What games do ya love and why?

My first game that got me buzzing was and will always be the sheep shaggers. I have always hated Hibs with a passion but the sheepers is my big game ! Mind you a wee trip to Airdrie isn't to be snorted at... C'mon ankles wait till we git Aberdeen in a Scottish cup final it will have you buzzin ! Might take a few years to be fair but we'll get there. :)

the only games I'm really up for are when we play a team a little bit different from the norm

SPL-SPFL whatever they care to call it , has all but killed off my passion for the games,

sure I still go along, but more as a chore for the last few years, I still enjoy many of the games but I'm very rarely 'up for it'

but Scottish Cup games against more random opponents and the hugely desirable European games against any level of opponents and that's a different story, sadly the management don't always seem to follow that train of thought.

Closest domestic league game though would probably have been Thistle at Firhill

but other League opponents, Ive seen Motherwell v St Mirren around 20 times in the last 6 years, and we've not even been in the same split of the league, fair play for anyone that can still get enthused in advance for those games

Games come around far too quickly now. Bragging rights count for little if the result can be reversed a month or two later.

Living in Aberdeen, I'd value a game against them much more if I knew I'd have either half a season of grief from their fans or joyous gloating on my part.

Don't get me wrong, our win at Pittodrie made me very happy but if they then beat us just weeks later...

$T2eC16Z,!w4FIZ,J,cJ7BSe(YwJhkg~~60_35.JPG

The 3-2 celtic cup game at Fir Park in the 70's was a game that I loved being at (we were 2-0 down and scored 3 to win the match).

PettigrewscoresvStMirren1977.jpg

The other game was when Fergie's St Mirren came to Fir Park in the cup (this still has to be the biggest crowd that I have witnessed at Fir Park).

arb%2032%20Cammy%20Murray.jpg

Arbroath away in the cup also from the 70s. My PE teacher at Lanark Grammar was Cammy Murray who played for Arbroath and who also later coached at Motherwell. He kept winding us up that Arbroath were going to knock us out, so aye, I love the special atmosphere that only cup games can bring.

If we were talking about 1 certain game that had me properly buzzing it would be helicopter sunday. In the full week leading up to it i kept telling my mates we would score a late goal against Celtic to cost them the league cause i actually dreamt it would happen, i by no means wanted Rangers to win the league i just wanted to do the rotten mob cause of their "we're only here for the party" patter. All the great unwashed buying up home tickets just to be chased out when McDonald hit the double. I was on a high for days after that.

• Like 1

the only games I'm really up for are when we play a team a little bit different from the norm

SPL-SPFL whatever they care to call it , has all but killed off my passion for the games,

sure I still go along, but more as a chore for the last few years, I still enjoy many of the games but I'm very rarely 'up for it'

but Scottish Cup games against more random opponents and the hugely desirable European games against any level of opponents and that's a different story, sadly the management don't always seem to follow that train of thought.

Closest domestic league game though would probably have been Thistle at Firhill

but other League opponents, Ive seen Motherwell v St Mirren around 20 times in the last 6 years, and we've not even been in the same split of the league, fair play for anyone that can still get enthused in advance for those games

A fair bit depends upon the context and timing of the fixture but largely this, a game against a side we don't cross swords often if at all will get the butterflies in the tummy going in a way that a run of the mill league fixture rarely does.

I agree with this.

Thats why I have enjoyed Scotland games (Levein apart) more in recent years.

Its also why the European games shouldnt be taken for granted. The Nancy and Odense games were immense in the build up despite the ultimate results.

This Saturday is huge, which is why Im gutted to be missing it.

Got to be the 91 final, me n ma mates aw bubblin at the final whistle.....cringe

No cringe required.

The realisation of a lifetimes efforts following a diddy team.

If you didnt have a tear in your eye that day there's something wrong with you!

Outwith my wedding day and the birth of my kids its still the best day of my life. Only Faddys Paris comes close.

Much prefer a win over Rangers to a win over Celtic myself, if only because it happens so much more rarely.

I've always disliked Rangers more than Celtic. My first season full season coming to Fir Park was the season Graeme Sounness came to Rangers and the start of the 9-in-a-row period which is perhaps why.

I also have a bit of a grudge against Hearts having gone through that long period when we were basically Hearts bitches and John Robertson was guaranteed to score every time.

I used to always love games against Fir Park against the Glasgow two and the other city clubs, especially Aberdeen and Hearts as they would bring big, noisy away supports.

In recent years though I have grown to dislike these games more. Games against Rangers in their 'latter' years were awful with zero atmosphere and our inability to get anything off them and Hearts and Aberdeen rarely bring the same supports they once did - this seasons cup tie the exception.

Outwith my wedding day and the birth of my kids its still the best day of my life. Only Faddys Paris comes close.

I am married with 2 kids and my wife is fully aware the cup final was better than my Wedding Day......and I apologise to anyone who's easily offended......but it was better than Both my kids births.....she is also fully aware of this!!

I'm amazed i'm still married!!

I am married with 2 kids and my wife is fully aware the cup final was better than my Wedding Day....

Same here (apart from having 2 kids)... mind you, my wife maintains a Level 42 gig in Glasgow and the day she met Midge Ure were the two best days of hers, so I'm no sure who should be more upset laugh1.gif

I am married with 2 kids and my wife is fully aware the cup final was better than my Wedding Day......and I apologise to anyone who's easily offended......but it was better than Both my kids births.....she is also fully aware of this!!

Lol! I'm obviously not as brave as you!

I always tell my wife that the cup final is fourth behind our wedding and the birth of our two children...................I suspect she knows that I'm lying

Just a theory, but I wonder if it's something to do with a bigger picture - the progress the club makes on the back of a good season. A high place finished used to mean financial reward, increased attendances (to some extent) and recruitment of better plays the following season. There was a real feeling that the club could reap the rewards of a good season, and that's why the head to heads with those battling for those spots were so exciting.

Now, regardless of whether we finish 2nd or 7th attendances will be down and the wage bill will be cut. The exciting idea of success bringing us closer to 'the great leap forward' simply isn't there, which paints a fairly bleak picture for the future. It's been fantastic achieving these high league places over the last 6 years, but has the club experienced any tangible growth in terms of finances or crowds? Nope, quite the opposite. Success is always temporary, but even more so now.

Now, regardless of whether we finish 2nd or 7th attendances will be down and the wage bill will be cut. The exciting idea of success bringing us closer to 'the great leap forward' simply isn't there, which paints a fairly bleak picture for the future. It's been fantastic achieving these high league places over the last 6 years, but has the club experienced any tangible growth in terms of finances or crowds? Nope, quite the opposite. Success is always temporary, but even more so now.

The wage bill is being cut because we have to gradually reduce our costs season on season to make the club financially self sufficient. That's a good thing and shouldn't be seen as a negative. It means we should have a team to support well into the future and not every supporter in the country can say that.

And if consistently out performing clubs with much larger resources than us isn't a 'great leap forward' I'm not sure what is. I remember when the idea that we could do so was pie in the sky stuff. Today, it's almost taken for granted that we are up there or better than Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc. The first decade of Premier League football I saw Motherwell play we never finished higher than 6th place and it was hard to believe we could ever break the city club hegemony at the top of the league. The top five clubs were almost always the same teams.

Average attendance as it stands at the moment is 5,145 which is perhaps a little down as I'd expect it to be around 5,500 but there is no Rangers in the league anymore and the city clubs have been fairly dismal over recent years meaning far fewer away supporters coming to Fir Park. I'd like our attendances to be higher but we've not seen a disintegration of our support as similar sized clubs like St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline (look where they are now) have.

Maybe there isn't much excitement to be had in prudence but overall I think we shouldn't be too negative even if our priorities should be surviving rather than expanding.

The wage bill is being cut because we have to gradually reduce our costs season on season to make the club financially self sufficient. That's a good thing and shouldn't be seen as a negative. It means we should have a team to support well into the future and not every supporter in the country can say that.

And if consistently out performing clubs with much larger resources than us isn't a 'great leap forward' I'm not sure what is. I remember when the idea that we could do so was pie in the sky stuff. Today, it's almost taken for granted that we are up there or better than Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc. The first decade of Premier League football I saw Motherwell play we never finished higher than 6th place and it was hard to believe we could ever break the city club hegemony at the top of the league. The top five clubs were almost always the same teams.

Average attendance as it stands at the moment is 5,145 which is perhaps a little down as I'd expect it to be around 5,500 but there is no Rangers in the league anymore and the city clubs have been fairly dismal over recent years meaning far fewer away supporters coming to Fir Park. I'd like our attendances to be higher but we've not seen a disintegration of our support as similar sized clubs like St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline (look where they are now) have.

Maybe there isn't much excitement to be had in prudence but overall I think we shouldn't be too negative even if our priorities should be surviving rather than expanding.

Absolutely. My post wasn't intended to be as negative as it probably came across. We've made unbelievable progress on and off the field as a result of countless prudent financial decisions and astute managerial appointments. I'd despair at any decision to spend money that we don't have.

What I'm getting at is the fact that despite our years of success, we're still a club that has the potential to be in a relegation battle every season simply because we have a lower income than a lot of the clubs in the league. Some clubs can get away with poor managerial appointments because they have the budget to bring in a certain standard of player (Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs). I think we are more vulnerable than many clubs we are currently competing with in that sense simply because we haven't seen a growth in our support and benefitted from the extra income that would bring.

Maybe my ideas stem from the fact I started supporting Motherwell in 1996 when I saw a run of relegation battles. It's the 'norm' for me so I'm always prepared for those days to return. I can't see that happening with the current board in place but they won't be with us forever.

Got to say I've not been as up for a day out at the football as I am for tomorrow's game in a long long time.

Extra spice for me given I lived in Aberdeen for a few years and a lot of friends are dons fans - we've had it pretty good over them in the last few years.

Apart from that Tynecastle away is a belter of an away day - be a shame to lose them from the SPL.